[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Is it worth reading?
>>
>>9923436
Bump for interest
>>
Only due to historical significance. As a book on its own terms it's terribly written and intellectually stunted.
>>
>>9923457
I was thinking of reading that and The Communist Manifesto, is it a good idea if I'm a bit interested in politics?
>>
>>9923436
I guess to get a picture of what he was like, but as >>9923457 says it would be completely worthless if it weren't written by a notorious dictator (a bit like Mao's little red book, which just has a bunch of pedestrian fortune-cookie sayings). There's lots of bits where he says he read X book, then just pronounces things he thinks are true - no intellectual engagement or criticism of what he read, just didactic statements.
>>
>>9923436
No it's a madman's badly written vitriolic diatribe
>>
>>9923508
Mein Kampf is probably more relevant to someone trying to learn about WWII or Nazi Germany than someone into politics.

The Communist Manifesto is still relevant I suppose.
>>
>>9923436

FUN FACT: He was classmates with Wittgenstein
>>
>>9923508
Just read a range of modern books about current events then go back and pick up some stuff. Helps when reading to remind yourself millions of people died because somebody took theses ideas a little too seriously.

Also, Germans suck at writing doesn't matter if it's Marx or Hitler.
>>
>>9923508
you can read the communist manifesto in one hour and a half

if you really are interested in politics, i can recommend you some basic stuff
>>
>>9923559
Show me the basic stuff please
>>9923558
>modern books about current events
Which ones?
>>
I tried reading it a few years back; it's really really bad on a prose level.

And that's disregarding how absolutely batshit his general worldview was anyway
>>
>>9923580
Aristotle - Politics
Plato- Republic
Hobbes - Leviathan
Locke - Second treatise of civil government
Rousseau - The social contract

In order, these are the basic ones, read them in order if possible, but it's not necessary.

And then if you want more:

Tocqueville - Democracy in america
Montesquieu - The spirit of the laws
Machiavelli - The prince
Carl Schmitt - Theory of the constitution
Robert Michels - Political parties

Reading about the french revolution is also a must.
>>
>>9923580
Jonathan Fenby if you want to learn a good deal about Modern France and China. Chomsky is good at calling out people but not really doing anything himself. People always talk about guns, germs and steel so go read it and form your own opinions on it though it's not specifically modern i think it ties in.
>>
>>9923621
>Reading about the french revolution is also a must.
Aye. Particularly Rousseau (who loved it) and Burke (who hated it)
>>
>>9923641
Thomas Paine and Burke having a decades long shitpost about the revolution is why I love history.
>>
>>9923436
Don't we have this thread every other week?

The replies I've seen are usually:
>it's boring
>it's boring, but it's interesting to dive into Hitler's mind
>it's the best book ever written and really opened my eyes

However, there's usually only one or two people who post the last response I listed.
>>
>>9923436
Only if you want reaaaly get into history and/or have a real interest in Nazism
>>
>>9923436
It's quite good. I have an epub that doesn't say who the translator is, so maybe mine is a better edition than what most read.

The political critiques are very well argued, original, and provide great insight into the times. I especially enjoyed his excoriation of the parliamentary system and its deputies, and also the analysis of propaganda as a weapon of war.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.