[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to read more?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1475194343562.jpg (293KB, 615x864px) Image search: [Google]
1475194343562.jpg
293KB, 615x864px
Any advice on how to read more? How to stop being glued to interwebs and TV and vidya?
>>
Just walk away from the screen.
>>
Ask yourself why you can't stick to reading. More likely than not, you should just read easier material, or make it so the material can be read more easily (by improving your vocabulary and/or keeping a dictionary open).

We go to things like the internet, TV, movies, and video games because they're easy sources of relative entertainment. Literature can be even deeper than them, but you have to put in some work: the harder the work, the more likely you are to just go to the simpler activities.
>>
>>9920201
I'm looking for something more unnecessarily complicated, could you help me out here, buddy?
>>
Just remove those things from your life
>>
>>9920218
Okay, I can only say what helped me when I was getting back into reading when I was having issues with easy distractions. I would go to someplace isolated and have a little as possible to do other than read. Planning on going on a walk in the woods was a favorite of mine, but I also used to sit in the shade on a beach or even an isolated corner in a library as long as there weren't many people. Even if I couldn't focus much it was usually still worth it to be there on its own. Shut your phone off if it is necessary when you get there.
>>
>>9920178
Find a book with short chapters or short poems or short stories or that's just short in general. If there is a big book you want to read try to avoid it unless it has a bunch of short chapters or something to make it easier to tackle. Try to read a shorter work by that author before reading a longer one. Reading plays that don't have a lot of characters is a good idea also. If the book is really experimental than it usually holds my ADHD attention really well so I horde those a lot.
Book recommendations:
Platero and I by Juan Ramón Jiménez
Taking Care by Joy Williams
White Noise by Don DeLillo
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett
Chicago Poems by Carl Sandburg
Any story collection by Lydia Davis
>>
>>9920218
I was in this situation last year. I only watched tv and played games and it was very unfulfilling. Honestly I just set a goal for reading 20 pages a day. I stuck to it and found my self reading more and more. I now read multiple books a month. Honestly though the only way your life is gonna change is if you change. You won't find some secret her on lit.
>>
jonah... easy on the carrots
>>
>>9920178
Go into a room without a screen.
>>
>>9920178

Be willing to drop a book if you're not enjoying it. I give every book 100 pages to show me something.

Otherwise, you're training yourself to view reading as a chore to be completed- aka the academic view. You need to ENRICH YOURSELF and LEARN EMPATHY and FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH THE CANON and zzz. Fuck it. Don't let these boring dorks live inside your head. Unless you're a boring dork too, then excuse me for presuming.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.