[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your favourite Douglas Coupland novel and why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: jpod.jpg (41KB, 311x475px) Image search: [Google]
jpod.jpg
41KB, 311x475px
What is your favourite Douglas Coupland novel and why
>>
>>9916150
haven't read him. what's yours?
>>
I've read Jpod and Generation A, Gen A is so so but JPod is hilarious
>>
Gen X was ok. I thought Microserfs was better. I haven't read anything else of his.

I used to know one of his superfans who'd go to as many of his readings as possible with other superfans and give him little gifts. Semi-stalkery yes but I don't think anything bad ever happened. They were just obsessed. (This is something I am a little worried about if I get some fame from my own writing.)
>>
File: Microserfs.jpg (25KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
Microserfs.jpg
25KB, 313x475px
>>9916150
Microserfs.

Extremely stylistically innovative (almost to the point where it's unreadable in a few points), relatable but quirky characters, interesting time to focus on (early net era microsoft). other than that i've read jpod and part of bit rot. jpod was also good, sort of a chronologically updated microserfs, but i felt like microserfs was a little more "sincere" for what it's worth
>>
I don't like douglas coupland because my ex dragged me to his exhibit a few years ago at the vancouver art gallery and I really dislike him. I remember there were ads for the exhibit that just said "douglas coupland works harder than you" and they were plastered all over the downtown east side. That and a large part of his exhibit was him trying to examine and reinvent canadian cultural identity but that old faggot was born into an affluent family and he has only ever lived in large cities. There was a bunch of other tastelessly lazy pomo shit but personally the thing that really pissed me off was a replica beehive he hand crafted by chewing up old newspaper, this is what he does and he has the gall to say he works hard? Fuck Douglas Coupland. Also David Weir keeps hitting on me in a gross way so seriously fuck those guys
>>
>>9916150
Life after God because its comfy af
>>
>>9916150
I have JPod and Generation X and All Families and Hey Nostradamus! But I haven't read any of them yet as I've been in a reading slump.
>>9916648
>Extremely stylistically innovative (almost to the point where it's unreadable in a few points
Sold.
>>
Hey Nostradamus was my favorite book in middle school.
>>
so this guy writes about legos?
>>
>>9917211
nah, Jpod is a book about six weirdos who have been placed together in a cubicle in a videogame company because all their last names start with J

it's pretty funny desu
>>
>>9916150
generation x then microserfs
i've read quite a few of his books but i can't really remember much about most of them
i recall he went through a phase where each book featured incredibly unlikely events. there was one about someone who was the only survivor of a plane crash and another where someone found a radioactive meteorite or summat like that
>>
I used to know this guy when I lived in Vancouver. Douglas Coupland is a literal faggot. I tried reading one of his books once. It was the gayest thing I've ever read. The style was witten in that prissy precious oh so cultured and sassy and witty sterotypical "gay voice" with the lisp even. He doesn't even talk like that in real life, but I imagine that's exactly what his interior monologue sounds like. I can't believe that people mistake that stock personality for stylistic innovation. Have you never had a long conversation with a homo before? He's a shallow hipster. I had to put the book down after a couple of chapters. I cut off contact with him after I moved away from Van and decided to no longer associate with Sodomites when I got to thinking just how creepy that subculture is. He still sometimes sends me emails infused with all his wit, but they just go straight into my spam folder. I don't know why anyone would waste their time.
>>
Generation X was good, it was a lot of fun and unlike anything I'd read at the time.
Generation A was terrible and I don't think I even started JPod as a result. Gen A was embarrassing in how he tried to cash in on bad stereotypes.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.