[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Classics major recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Hey /lit/, I will be applying to uni as a classics major soon, and would like to read several books before then. However, I want to know where to begin from an academic standpoint; I already read light literature for leisure. I am somewhat competent in Latin and novice at Greek, but I would like to postpone the Roman and Greek literature until I am fully capable of reading it in their respective languages. Therein lies my issue: I cannot start with the Greeks! So, if I want to begin reading more major works, but I still want to be able to understand the context, where should I look? English literature? History? Or should I just swallow my pride and read Greek literature in English?
>inb4 start with the babylonians
>>
Better become good at Greek pretty soon cause I got bad news. You're going to take an intro to classical Greek mythology class your first year and you will be reading the Greeks in English
>>
You won't be able to easily read Homer (or Demosthenes, or any plays) in the original for at least 2 years of intensive study. You may be able to handle Xenophon or Thucydides after a year, but don't count on it. Reading in original is good, and it certainly helps your understanding, but it's far too much effort to translate anything more than a few chapters at a time. Swallow your pride and read in translation.
>>
>>9915267
>>9915274
Thank you both
>>
I agree, you're much better off reading in translation for now and studying the classical languages on the side. Take this opportunity to appreciate the works on a more natural, enjoyable level. By the time you start uni you'll be able to breeze through basic coursework and start getting into the real work of studying them in the original. Besides, you never get everything out of a book in the first read-through anyway.
>>
Any decent Classics department will list their required reading on their website. That will give you some insight into their priorities in teaching. The Ivys should have a similar list if your school doesn't list anything.

Alternately, start with the Greeks.
>>
I would argue that the merit of any great work of literature is that it becomes the better the more often you read it. The first time reading is only supposed to give you a certain kind of overview of the work anyway. By rereading you discover things you didn't notice before or perhaps forgot. Also since you took in the story previously it gives you more freedom to focus on other aspects of the text. Furthermore, reading it in English and then later again in Greek would give you a good standpoint for comparison of different interpretations/translations of texts. I think particularly for Greek the possible multitude of meanings for a specific word are a key aspect.
>>
>>9915936
>>9915975
>>9916115
thank you three as well, this helps me very much
>>
>classics
Fucking tool. Keep sucking massah's dick.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.