[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writer.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

I've had this idea for a webcomic I've always wanted to write since I was a kid, but because I used to suck at writing, I planned to make it in book form. It's kinda shit, but actiony and epic, and I spent years refining it and making it less shit. We'll call it Ori, because those letters aren't anywhere in its name.

I started writing fanfic to practice writing and get a fan following. Practice helps, even though I'm unnoticed by every fandom I write for.

Anyway, while planning out my next big fanfic, I notice the protagonists I'm writing for a Persona 6 fanfic are far deeper than any of the characters in Ori, the protagonists included.

What do?
>>
I'm sorry but fanfiction is not allowed on this board. If you want help fleshing out your characters for abcdefghjklmnpqstuvwxyz then you'll have to do it another way or elsewhere.
>>
>>9914255
I'm asking for advice making my Ori story better, and advice regarding what I should do with this information. Not the fanfic. I'm not even sure if I'll bother with the fanfic.
>>
>>9914245
Fucking christ.
>I've had this idea for a webcomic I've always wanted to write since I was a kid, but because I used to suck at ART, I planned to make it in book form.
>>
File: 1499028960227 - Copy.jpg (1KB, 33x19px) Image search: [Google]
1499028960227 - Copy.jpg
1KB, 33x19px
Did I post this during the slow hours?
>>
>>9914265
I dunno just read more and pay attention to real people's characters. Stop reading fanfiction too. If that's all you use as an aspirational model you'll never surpass it.
>>
>>9914309
I use real books as aspirational models. I'm not a fucking casual.

The problem here is: The characters I came up with when I was 14 then spent years refining and changing aren't as interesting as the Persona OCs I made up while planning a new fanfic. Also, the setting itself just feels like a bootleg Naruto except with a detailed magic system that makes sense and no broken inherited eyepower BS.
>>
>>9914316
>a detailed magic system
>I'm not a fucking casual.
I'm not sure that's such a good thing.
Why not try writing something new? Shit you thought was cool when you were 14 isn't going to be worthwhile as an adult.
>>
>>9914316
Because you didn't have to worry about building the fucking characters and you THE HEART is in it, dipshit.

Write more, what else is there to say?
>>
>>9914338
>Why not try writing something new?
There is nothing new under the sun. It's all just old stuff with new twists and techniques.
>>
>>9914352
>Because you didn't have to worry about building the fucking characters and you THE HEART is in it, dipshit.
What does this mean?
>>
>>9914354
No you fucking idiot, a new project, not the one you started when you were 14.
>>
>>9914359
Your well of energy, your drive, libido, whatever. You're disconnected from your characters and connected to the fanfic ones.

Writing's not supposed to happen only when you're struck by inspiration. So work consciously at it.

Dipshit.
>>
>>9914402
You should probably work on your mastery of the english language before saying words like dipshit.
>>
Anyway, what do I do? Take all the depth of the good characters made by 20-something me and shove it into my 14-year-old's "Original anime" of a story? Throw that away and rewrite the story from the ground up?
>>
>>9914245
This isn't going to be fun, but you need to hear it:

Start again.

Based on what you've said, the story is far too trapped in the cliche anime tropes you absorbed as a fourteen-year-old for it to work. You can only refine a character so far, and it sounds like they simply aren't up to scratch. The story will have been shaped around the old characters, so you won't be able to shove the new ones in to replace them. If you can, then you've plotted it poorly because it won't be driven by the characters and their actions.
Try something new, with characters that haven't essentially been locked in place by the memories of your fourteen-year-old self. You should be able to tell the difference.

It's not all bad though, as if you really enjoy writing then the opportunity to do something new and explore creative avenues that you haven't been running down for ten years shouldn't be negative.
I'd also possibly say that a story described as an 'original anime' would be lacking in the writing department on a fundemental level. They're very different structures, so aiming to write one medium will likely hamper writing in another. If you're going to write it, make sure it fits the medium (i.e. don't try and do anime fight scenes and the like in written form).
>>
>>9914885
I will add that if you're really attached to the world and magic system then you don't need to scrap them. Reusing ideas from old projects is always an option.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.