[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About to read this. Never read any Philip K.Dick book before,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

About to read this. Never read any Philip K.Dick book before, what should I expect? Is this a good start?
>>
File: 1454551329029.png (244KB, 609x945px) Image search: [Google]
1454551329029.png
244KB, 609x945px
>>9913632
>>
>>9913646
Why do these silly edits always get a laugh out of me? I've seen them countless times since the original thread.
>>
I'm reading it and enjoy it, though the alternative history is extremely stupid, but that's not so much what the book is about.
>>
>>9913632
Poor man's Fatherland
>>
I'd recommend a scanner darkly or do androids dream of electric sheep to start with, the man in the high castle isn't bad but he has written much better stuff.
>>
>>9913863
This, although those are two of his best works, so it may be better to start off with something like Time Out of Joint or Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said just so you won't be disappointed when nothing else of his measures up.
>>
>>9913632
I just read it (first Dick) and it was good. I don't think you should worry about reading the wrong work of a particular author first. I'm reading Ubik, then Scanner next and I don't think I will cry that I did it in the wrong order.
>>
>>9913632
I started a short story that was exactly like this, Japan takes west coast, and Nazis take east. REEEE just realised it was a Phillip K Dick novel
>>
Yeah we get it you are a redditor who watched the show and now want to seem intelligent because you read ONE book. Go home

or read Ubik instead
>>
It's not the best of Dick's work, but then again the overrated stuff from him is typically not his best. Read flow my tears, the policeman said and read a scanner darkly. The four stigmata of eldritch palmer is pretty good too.
>>
>>9913863
I'm >>9914721 and I don't understand the love for DADoES. The book is overrated cause of the movie. But your first recommendation is good.
>>
File: Scanner-Darkly-UK-1st[1].jpg (120KB, 333x591px) Image search: [Google]
Scanner-Darkly-UK-1st[1].jpg
120KB, 333x591px
I would start with A Scanner Darkly

High Castle is very interesting but not his best.
>>
>>9914728
Well i thought it might be a good entry point, Ubik is the best work of his that i've read but it might be a bit confusing to start with. Haven't read Flow my tears, the policeman said and the four stigmata, they're certainly on my to read list though.
>>
PKD is a funny writer, so 1990 Total Recall movie is the most like his actual writing of all the adaptations.
That said, The Simulacra is probably the best starter book
>>
it's a poor place to start because it's not representative of his other work and it's also shit
>>
>>9914597
i didn't even know that there is a show. I started reading it after playing Wolfenstein New Order
>>
What's even the point of the alternate history? I feel like the novel forces it's storyline into it, rather than the other way around. It would have been just as effective if it was just set in World War 2.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.