[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can the Arcades Project be classified as 'proto vaporwave'?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: walterbenjamin.jpg (102KB, 685x1024px) Image search: [Google]
walterbenjamin.jpg
102KB, 685x1024px
Can the Arcades Project be classified as 'proto vaporwave'?
>>
>>9909664
Can you please fuck off to /pol/ already you stupid faggot.
>>
>>9909654
what was his pac-man high score?
>>
>>9909754
kevin macdonald's pac-man high score was among the top in 1985 (long beach)
if you can track down an old machine you can still see KMD at positions 1, 2, and 5
>>
>>9909654
They are very similar, obviously the main difference between them is that vaporwave deals with electronic culture and is tied into generational commonalities such as nostalgia, whereas Arcades Project is an individual work of scholarship.
>>
File: ldp5144-1978.jpg (50KB, 229x350px) Image search: [Google]
ldp5144-1978.jpg
50KB, 229x350px
>>9909654
Haven't read the Arcades Project yet but Ernst Junger's novel Heliopolis feels very proto-vaporwave.

Look forward to seeing me shill this meme in the near future.
>>
>>9909654
This is actually an interesting way of viewing that vast, sadly not even near complete, hulk. I've read through it (basically only citings and notes) and say yeah, why not?
>>
>>9909654
Benjamin is pretty based. For a Marxist, he didn't really obsess over it like the other Frankfurt school thinkers. Some of his best stuff is in One-way Street, which is a really great piece of journalism and observations about life in Paris- sort of a proto-Arcades
>>
>>9913575
>For a Marxist

I think Benjamin offered a pretty strong critique of classical Marxism, calling them "quietist" and essentially victor history.
>>
>>9913583
Which work in particular was this in?
>>
>>9913592
On the Concept of History.

He dislikes the Marxist idea that the revolution is inevitable. Someone like Bordiga is an extreme example. Bordiga advocates sitting on your ass because the collapse of capital is inevitable. But part of Bordiga's thing is a critique of protesting which is valid. Benjamin's point is that history shouldn't be conceived as pre-determined and guaranteed and he introduces his concept of messianic time as an alternate way of seeing history and taking up revolution.

Agamben writes a lot about this and St. Paul who is pretty essential to both thinkers.
>>
>>9913621
What would you recommend as an exegesis of or introduction to Benjamin's thought?

I've read the Theses on History like five times for classes, and each time, the professor just wanted to touch on the blown-away angel briefly, and openly joked about how the rest of it is inscrutable.
>>
>>9913699
It's pretty dense and I'm not the biggest Benjamin fan. I think he gets to a point where it's basically Pauline Christianity but he can't admit it.

It's extremely dense because it's mental gymnastics trying to not be subsumed by Hegelian dialectics while still espousing a desire for Marxist revolution. I like Benjamin but I don't think it's really convincing. But he is right that Marxists are quietist.

I was just saying Benjamin is no orthodox Marxist.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.