[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey lads, i took about a 4 year hiatus from reading due to a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: ohshit.png (38KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
ohshit.png
38KB, 633x758px
hey lads, i took about a 4 year hiatus from reading due to a lot of reasons but today i said fuck it and went to the library, picking out some books from the guide here.
did i get memeshit or are these really worth reading? i know infinite jest is a meme but i plan on getting it soon anyways.
The bell jar, the epic of Gilgamesh, the metamorphosis, the trial, of crime and punishment, the Iliad, the Odyssey, don quixote, atlas shrugged, the brothers kamazarov, and Tender is the night.
>>
>>9909210
>The bell jar
Drop this. Written by a women
>the metamorphosis, the trial
Drop these. Written by a Jew
>Atlas Shrugged
Even though by a women, it's ok to learn the truth of capitalism is good
>>
>>9909210
Get off 4chan and start reading you fucking miserable pleb.

Please internet strangers, validate my decisions! I have no sense of self worth and need shitposters on a racist memeboard to tell me I did good.

Grow up you fucking pussy. You're pathetic.
>>
>>9909225
Your the pussy. Racism is awesome. Fuck off to reddit if you can't handle the redpill
>>
>>9909223
ignoring all that shit
>>9909225
its not about validation pussy, people here read books so it makes sense to ask, hoping one person might give a serious answer
>>
>>9909210
Good selection OP. Have you started any yet?
>>
>>9909247
i started the metamorphosis, pretty good so far but of course the translation isn't perfect at times.
i do really like this type of hopeless character though.
i'll read the bell jar next since i loved her poems.
>>
File: 1502459765516.jpg (44KB, 640x624px) Image search: [Google]
1502459765516.jpg
44KB, 640x624px
>>9909225

If you're outraged by the racism here then you are honestly the one that needs to leave, and I'm saying this as someone who isn't even white. Reddit posters like you are always going to be far worse because you milquetoast everything you touch.
>>
>>9909210
They're good books for a beginner, with the exception of The Brothers Kamarazov (really should be save when you're more familiar with Dostoevsky's way). The rest are fine though, OP.
>>
>>9909274
i figured that would be the odd one out, thanks for the heads up
>>
>>9909265
Racism is always wrong and you should always speak up when you encounter it.

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill
>>
>>9909277
If you want a quick run down of Dostoevsky (he's great, but if you haven't been reading in a while, he might feel like jumping into the deep end), try The Double followed by Notes From Underground. The Double is a fun paranoid psychological thriller and Notes From Underground gets into more of Dostoevsky's existential crisis influences by focusing on a complete misanthropic character who believes everyone else is to blame but himself.

Crime & Punishment is pretty fitting after that. It might feel like a slog without having read Dostoevsky previously, but if you read The Double, Notes From Underground (and any really short stories of his), Crime & Punishment is very accessible while also being immersive, tragic and life-affirming.

The Idiot and Devils are even better and once you finish those, The Brothers Karamazov is waiting to be tackled.
>>
>>9909281

What I find degrees more insufferable are youngfag dorks like you who try to forcefully change the spirit of this site because it doesn't accord well with your lil fee fees. I've been posting here for years and I happen to like it just as it is.

It might be a poorly-lit rundown outhouse full of crawling horrors with a door that never seems to latch properly, but I've taken shits here for an age now and I'd prefer the shitpot that I know and love to one of them thar fancy "indoor" gimmicks. There might be no shit stains anywhere on em but where's the character, I ask you?
>>
>>9909305
i'll definitely get those next week! thanks for all the suggestions anon
>>
>>9909317
You can have character without racism. You should avoid using reddit spacing when you're talking about how you've been here "for years", it really ruins your credibility.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
>>
File: 1496446278365.png (187KB, 272x348px) Image search: [Google]
1496446278365.png
187KB, 272x348px
>>9909324

>You should avoid using reddit spacing when you're talking about how you've been here "for years", it really ruins your credibility.

Reddit spacing is a meme that newfags use to call out other newfags, and they show their hand every time when they do. As did you when you decided to post that second quote. You got too eager, ruseman. You might've hooked me a few posts more if you did.
>>
>>9909331
Homophobic terms aren't cool with me either.
>>
>>9909227
>le redpill
>not reddit as fuck
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.