[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished this today. Can we discuss? I initially thought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: eastofeden.jpg (395KB, 1400x2139px) Image search: [Google]
eastofeden.jpg
395KB, 1400x2139px
Just finished this today. Can we discuss?

I initially thought that the Cain and Abel allegory was far too heavy handed until I reflected on the heart of the book, the Sam/Adam/Lee conversation in which Cain and Abel is read verbatim from Genesis.

It is remarked how short the story is, when meanwhile it has had an enormous effect upon humanity. I think Steinbeck included this line as a way of telling the reader that East of Eden wasn't just allegory to Genesis. East of Eden is a direct accounting of the epic story of Cain and Abel, with all the details fleshed out.

That makes the end of the book far more profound, with Adam taking up the literal mantle of God, Caleb praying to Adam, Lee interceding to God on Caleb's behalf, God/Adam responding 'thou mayest' as to whether Caleb may overcome his sin and find favor again with Adam.

That ending scene is the biblical version condensed, and the entire novel leading up to it was the 'extended cut,' for lack of a better term.

What a ride.
>>
I got about 3/4 of the way through and then my book vanished. I think it was really well written but I don't feel like I need to finish it. I haven't read the bible either so all the Cain/Able stuff is lost on me.

What the fuck was his wife's problem??
>>
micey men is the only steinbeck i've read and even that was in highschool. what should I read East of Eden or Grapes of Wrath?
>>
>>9908815

>what the fuck was his wife's problem?

Cathy probably suffered from antisocial personality disorder. But more importantly, Steinbeck clearly used her as an incarnation of pure evil/Satan to test Adam.
>>
>>9908815
I had the exact same experience but I eventually settled on finishing it.

East of Eden felt like an epic. An American epic. The only other novel that ever felt that way to me was Moby Dick.
>>
I fucking hate these books where I have to know every story from the Bible in order to "get it."
>>
>>9908979
I didn't read the Bible but I still got it. There's a chapter where the characters explain all the allegory.
>>
>>9907948

Does anyone else find it glaringly egotistical for Steinbeck- or any other author- to speak for The Holy Bible? There's a line between ambition and vanity that a guy high on awards can easily cross.

I'm just searching for an explanation for why this book was so boring and hollow compared to Mice and Grapes.
>>
Is steinbeck jewish? why is there so much cuckoldry in this book?
>>
>>9909618
There is literally only one ambiguous cuckoldry situation.

>>9908967
Eden absolutely felt like an American epic. That last scene has joined the pantheon of mythic scenes to me. It's so vivid, so large in scope. Perfection.
>>
>>9908819
Cannery Row my man
>>
All the characters with names starting with "c" being bad or Cain-like and all the characters with names starting with "a" being Abel-like was pretty heavy handed imo. Still a good book though.
Cyrus
Charles
Cal
Cathy

Adam
Aron
Alice
Abra
>>
>>9910070
In what way was Abra Abel-like?

I think she was pretty clearly a gray character.
>>
>>9910486
She is as good hearted as Cathy is evil.
I meant to make the distinction of a/c to bad/good
>>
>>9908819
>>9908829
Cannery row is a good read, but East of Eden is by far my favorite Steinbeck book
>>
>>9910547
Oh and Pastures of Heaven is also an amazing book
>>
>>9909669
>That last scene has joined the pantheon of mythic scenes to me. It's so vivid, so large in scope. Perfection.
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA who tf talks like this?
>>
File: timshel2.jpg (101KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
timshel2.jpg
101KB, 900x600px
Any thought on the movie adaptation? I thought James Dean was perfect for Cal, and Richard Davalos is really underrated.
>>
>>9910566
Talks like what? What did he say that made you ironically laugh at him?
>>
>>9910566
People who read books?
>>
>>9909109
>Does anyone else find it glaringly egotistical for Steinbeck- or any other author- to speak for The Holy Bible?
Isn't the whole point of protestantism for believers to develop their own interpretation of the Bible?
>>
>>9910566
I'll feed the troll.

The entirety of East of Eden is very down to earth. A gritty American west seeps into every page and every character interaction. The work feels grounded and human.

In the last five pages or so, this changes drastically. All of the metaphor and allegory shifts from that earthy tone to a vivid, biblical scene. Cal is on his knees literally praying to his stroke-ridden-father who has become a godlike figure who may or may not capable of understanding his son's words. Lee intercedes on behalf of Cal to Adam, essentially screaming out biblical verse.

"Help him, Adam- help him. Give him his chance. Let him be free. That's all a man has over the beasts. Free him! Bless him!"

The tone of the last few pages is truly epic, for lack of a better word. The scene seems far different from everything that has come before. East of Eden has shifted from biblical allegory to biblical itself, with the godlike Adam opening his mouth and groaning out 'timshel.'

I think that transition is special. and the scene has become forever ingrained in my mind.

Also, fuck you faggot.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.