[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I take my last literature class in Spenser or Milton?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

Should I take my last literature class in Spenser or Milton?
>>
>>9907384
>still buying into the academia meme

Read Culture of Critique by McDonald if you want some insight into why academia is a bolshevik sham
>>
>>9907387
Im in too deep, i literally need one more class to finish my bachelors and then im out.

then ill try to do something not worthless
>>
>>9907387
Oh, its the I learned world history through ms-paint pics made by stormfags on /pol/ guy
>>
>>9907387
impossible to tell where the bait ends and the polfagging begins
>>
>>9907384
Milton is more sublime, but Spenser is more beautiful. Of course, Milton can be sublimely beautiful and Spenser reaches the sublime when he breaks free from the earthly pastoral; but that's just my oversimplification. You'll probably have to read some of Milton's prose, with Aeropaegitica being his best represented. Try reading it to see if you can power through many many more works like it.
>>
Milton for manly men who want to overthrow the system Spenser for soyboys
>>
Milton by a long shot.
>>
Spenser is seriously underrated (imo), but Milton is still probably the better writer. He's certainly the more important. So, Milton. Graduating from a literature course without having studied PL seems like a waste of time.
>>
Haha, Spenser was fucking terrible. The court circles wouldn't even acknowledge him. Elizabeth gave him a stipend for writing the Faerie Queene, but she probably never even read it, and it's unfinished. It's a fucking propaganda piece for the Church of England. Milton was a genius. They can't even be compared.
>>
I know Milton is praised universally and it might seem like this is a bit of a "no comparison" I had to read a bit of his poetry in another class and I definitely wouldnt mind digging into more of his works but the reason Im tempted with Spenser is because irish pagan mythologies and fairy stories are a bit of a hobby of mine.

Are his works in those areas developed enough to warrant my interest?
>>
>>9907484
What's the difference between sublime and beautiful?
>>
>>9907578
one is an adjective and if it wasn't for date rape I'd never get laid.
>>
>>9907595
You should have just not wasted your time
>>
>>9907602
man door hand hook car door
>>
>>9907431

There actually isn't a functional difference.
>>
>>9907573
Spenser is just irritating to read, Faerie Queene is literally designed to not make sense so you feel confused just like "muh Church of England" was on an uncertain path
>>
>>9907578
I'm >>9907484. I've always considered the sublime as a concept associated with a concern for metaphysical transcendentalism, whereas beauty is more earthly and tangible. In terms of poetic style, Milton's greatest works (PL, Lycidas, Comus, Samson Agonistes) search out this higher plane of thought through allegory and Scripture, as opposed to Spenser who is more frequently preoccupied with the pastoral and uses the chivalric mode to reach a moralistic allegorical duality. Basically, we can imagine Spenser's story as being both a fairy tale and an allegory, whereas Milton manages to create something greater, something unimaginable yet within human reason. It really is incredible, just how perfect the best of Milton's works are.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.