[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What XIX-XX century authors wrote in spoken Japanese (not Kobun)?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1502952219969.jpg (51KB, 333x475px) Image search: [Google]
1502952219969.jpg
51KB, 333x475px
And do translations of the ones initially written in Kobun into modern Japanese even exist? Or do Japanese students read them all in classical Japanese?
>>
come on
>>
This subject may be beyond /lit/'s ken
>>
99% of what you are reading are modern japanese versions, trying to read kobun knowing only modern japanese is like trying to read latin knowing only english.
>>
File: kobun-cursive.jpg (161KB, 800x574px) Image search: [Google]
kobun-cursive.jpg
161KB, 800x574px
>>9908027
Also, it's worth noting that most of the "modern" day translations are kinda old. If you are reading Genji chances are you are reading Akiko Yosano's 現代語訳 (modern translation) which is over 50 years old and are written in a very archaic fashion. However there are more modern ones available, which are translated into even more modern and japanese to make it super accessible. Like Kadokawa's ビギナーズ・クラシックス series. But you have to cough up money.

Authentic Kobun scripts are very hard to read and even professors have a very hard time reading original kobun scripts so retranslations from the original scripts are rare. It's not just a matter of learning kobun vocabulary even the grammar of kobun japanese is different from modern japanese.

Coming from a person that tried to get into modernized japanese kobun I would say just read it in English. Royall Tyler and Dennis Washburn are great translators and you will miss out on 90% of context of kobun without footnotes. Not only will your japanese not be good enough, you simply will not understand the cultural significance of the places and things in the stories, nor notice allusions to other scripts and miss out on references to Chinese poetry and history.
>>
>>9908109
Is Yukio Mishima difficult for you to read
>>
>>9905144
None of them retard
>>
File: IMG_20170818_001336.jpg (163KB, 715x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170818_001336.jpg
163KB, 715x960px
>>9908223
I am only interested in Heian Era literature, so I have never read his work. If you have to ask "can I understand x with my level of Japanese" chances are the answer is no.
>>
>>9905144
uh, i know there's an updated sei shonogon. it sounds disturbingly like slice of life anime. i'll try to remember the name but i don't know why you'd want that
>>
>>9908247
My current level of Japanese is nonexistent. That's why I'm asking.
>>
>>9908256
Hashimoto's translation, i think.
>>
>>9908267
er, i guess it's not technically a translation. what's it called when they make something into the contemporary version of language?
>>
>>9908272
Adaptation into modern vernacular?
>>
>>9908272
In japanese it's "現代語訳" or "modern language translation".
>>
>>9908247
which of the genji translations do you prefer?
>>
>>9909134
Washburn for casual reading, Tyler for serious reading.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.