[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plagiarism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I am terrified by plagiarism. I have so many ideas that I write down but I'm always afraid that I steal something or it was done already.
How can I release myself from this fear and just write? is it impossible? how do I even know if I'm stealing something?
>>
welcome to the water
>>
>>9904925
All language is inheritance. You'll not be able to avoid speaking as others before you have spoken. In the beginning you will doubtless use the thoughts and styles and idioms of others as crutches until you can learn to walk on your own. But if you continue growing as a thinker and writer, eventually you will have your own unique perspective (which will in large part be informed by hose you've read the most and admire) from which you'll be able to write.

Also, think of Bloom's theory of anxiety of influence. He thinks every great writer fears that everything that could possibly said has already been said, and been said better by his literary forebears than he'll ever be able to. Nevertheless the great writer continues insistently to write, to craft his own worldview, to develop his own style, to mould his own characters, in spite of this dogging fear. You are not immune from this feeling. Neither are you guaranteed success in this cut-throat competition spanning millennia. But you can at the very least rest assured that you are not alone in this feeling, and moreover, the fact that you have this feeling indicates you are already on the right track to feeling about your writing as many great writers starting out also felt.
>>
>>9904945
This is really cheered me up anon. I am still young and don't have much life experience and I think it's the main thing that leads me to this fear. I just want to write about what I think and about stuff that I find interesting. Thank you for this post man.
>>
>>9904998
np anon
>>
>>9904925
>confirmed for not actually reading

Bruh, like 80% of any book is """inspired""" by others.
Some of the best-selling thrillers are literally the Dan Brown format over and over and over and over again.

Nobody expects your first works to be anything but you taking your favorite authors and mixing them together.
>>
If you had started with the Greeks and Romans, you would have come across the term mimesis (used in the sense that rhetoricians used it) wherein a common method of teaching rhetoric and writing was to imitate great writing.
>>
I read something quite interesting on narrative theory which is that one cannot truly own a story but one can own a narrative. That is to say that it is the way and idea/story is told that can be claimed. The example given to me was the even the Oedipus leggends were not owned by anyone. However Oedipus Rex was the work of Sophocles.

Read more and find out and experiment with ways of telling an effective story.
>>
Be conscious of the tropes and themes you're using and resolve to do them better than everyone else.

You probably won't, but the intent is what counts.
>>
>>9904925
Don't ever say anything, problem solved.
>>
>>9904925

Originality is dead. All works are a pastiche of ideas from outside the author.
>>
>>9904925
You need some pomo in your life
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.