[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>you are now realising the amount of self-proclaimed 'fantasy'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: gimli.jpg (71KB, 529x529px) Image search: [Google]
gimli.jpg
71KB, 529x529px
>you are now realising the amount of self-proclaimed 'fantasy' fans in this world that have never read Tolkien.
>>
>now
>>
T A X
A
X

P O L I C I E S
O
L
I
C
I
E
S
>>
Makes you wonder what these fans' tax policies would be like.
>>
File: gimbles.jpg (128KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
gimbles.jpg
128KB, 1200x800px
>>9902211
grimbles approves
>>
>>9902211
Martin is the real deal as far as being a fan boy. Tolkien was good but sad there hasn't been much creation beyond his shadow. As bad as it is at times, WoT is legitimately a master work as far as going beyond the influence of Tolkien
>>
>>9902211
Too many people have read Tolkien as it is. So many fans of TLotR don't appreciate it's beauty in the slightest and enjoy a very shallow reading of a very rich and classical fiction.
>>
>>9902247
tolkien's too dense
>>
But they have watched the movies. It's the same thing, really

:^P
>>
>>9902211
Am I the only one believing GRRM is milking money through delaying WoW?
He might just release it after 2 or 3 years and then he will pretend to write the last one until he dies, making enough money for himself and his "heirs"
>>
>>9902443
>Am I the only one believing GRRM is milking money through delaying WoW?
It's not some sudden development, the man has been behind on deadlines since the 90s.

I don't blame him, I wouldn't want to write that drivel either. He must be bored out of his fucking skull.
>>
What separates Tolkien from other fantasy writers? Originality?
I've never read western fantasy books so the more context you give me, the better.
>>
>>9902935
Subtlety. TLotR is very classical in style. Most fantasy feels modern , and I mean that in a bad way.
>>
>>9902935

WWII allegory
>>
>>9903099
kill yourself
>>
>>9902319
t. brainlet
>>9902935
He was writing contemporary to the Modernists. His explorations veered in the literal complete opposite direction of theirs though. Tolkein was interested in classical forms and narratives, while the Modernists were bent on rejecting them. He was a very controversial figure in literary circles, with many people outright disregarding him.

His work itself draws heavily from the epics of Spenser and Malory, and interacts with a portion of the Western canon that had been all but written off for being pre-Renaissance works that weren't Chaucer (ever notice that the Wasteland doesn't allude to Beowulf, despite referencing almost every other major work in the western canon). The idea of mythopoesis that Blake had previously developed in his poetry was taken to extremes in Tolkien's works, which had not only fully developed cosmologies, but histories and linguistic traditions.
>>
>>9902247
People still defend wot? Do you also believe eddings produced "legitimately a master work"?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.