[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is in Russia?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: cover3d1.jpg (393KB, 1358x2126px) Image search: [Google]
cover3d1.jpg
393KB, 1358x2126px
Hello, /lit/
First of all, I'm from Russia, so sorry for my bad English.
I am here because I want to know, what Russian writers are popular in your country?
Answer ITT with a list of the best Russian writers and their books you have ever read and what writers are generally popular in your country?
Thanks.
>>
Besides the obvious:

-Anna Akhmatova
-Vasily Aksyonov
-Leonid Andreyev
-Mikhail Artsybashev
-Isaac Babel
-Andrei Bely
-Andrei Bitov
-Ivan Bunin
-Lydia Chukovskaya
-Sergei Dovlatov
-Venedikt Erofeev
-Afanasy Fet
-Vsevolod Garshin
-Aleksander Griboyedov
-Vasily Grossman
-Ilya Ilf and Evgeny Petrov
-Daniil Kharms
-Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky
-Mikhail Kuzmin
-Nikolai Leskov
-Vladimir Makanin
-Yuri Mamleev
-Osip Mandelstam
-Vladimir Mayakovsky
-Yury Olesha
-Nikolai Ostrovsky
-Victor Pelevin
-Ludmilla Petrushevskaya
-Boris Pilnyak
-Andrei Platonov
-Zakhar Prilepin
-Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin
-Victor Serge
-Varlam Shalamov
-Mikhail Sholokhov
-Fyodor Sologub
-Vladimir Sorokin
-Tatyana Tolstaya
-Lyudmila Ulitskaya
-Mikhail Zoshchenko

None are popular though because not many people read, and I personally know none that do.
>>
Mexico
I only have seen people reading: crime and punishment - dostovesky
anna karenina - tolstoy
metro 2033 (i forgot the dude name lmao)
>>
1. Google
2. Dostoyevsky
3. Tolstoy
>>
>>9900744

None, because no one in my country likes to read or wants to read. The most literate would say the universal ones: Tolstoy and Dostoievsky
>>
>>9900744
Bely has an underground following (Petersburg) that comes alive from time to time on /lit/. Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky are denizens of world lit, like Dante and Shakespeare, so of course theyre read by many. Chekhov, like Dickens, has a rather substantial mob of fans. Turgenev, Gogol, Nabokov, Solzehnitsyn pretty much round out the popular front.
>>
>>9903648
Bely's my favorite author. Sadly his works beyond Petersburg go unnoticed (though Petersburg is his magnum opus).
>>
>>9903648
Solzhehnitsyn is known anywhere but Russia and ex-USSR?
Interesting, I expected his political works (mostly) could be read only by russians/ex-ussr countries peoples.
>>
>>9903872
What else by Bely do you strongly recommend?
>>
>>9904827
Yeah, Gulag and Denisovich have their fair share of readers. With Cancer Ward and First Circle trailing some distance behind.
>>
>>9904827
solzhenitsyn was a cia funded shill, his works are widely distributed in the NATO countries
>>
>>9906358
Really? Wow. He's also a fantastic writer. Not many of those.
>>
>>9901032
What the fuck is that list, man?
Very few of them, if not none, are famous outside Russia. And not because people don't read, you dumb fuck. Maybe the meaning of "famous" is not clear to you?
That's exactly the list a Russian person, not a foreign one, would do if asked about their most famous writers.
>>
>>9903648
Why people still read this retarded shit like Solzehnitsyn? His works totally uninteresting and boring, so overrated. Solzehnitsyn deserve nothing, he was maybe somehow interesting in early 70s and 60s but now his works looks obsolete as fuck
I mean, my voice from Russia and i know what i say, curiously overvalued shit
>>
>>9907266
Not true. I own a lot of books by most of those authors. Also they forgot Svetlana Alexievich. And I'd throw in Glukovsky.
>>
>>9907280
yes, giving a detailed account of the horrors of the USSR under stalinism immediately following his death was hackney and played out, right?
>>
>>9906315
The Silver Dove, Kotik Letaev, the Dramatic Symphony, the Moscow Eccentric. Enjoy!
>>
Probably the same ones as Russia. Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, Chekhov, Gogol, etc.

Australia by the way.
>>
The Master and Margarita is surprisingly popular in Macedonia.
I know 4 personally that has read it.
Maybe it's because of the perfect translation.
>>
>>9900744
Dosty and Tolstoi.
I dont think my coutry find other as popular as those two.
>>
>>9908122
Thanks. Totally on it.
>>
>>9900744
Serbia or should I say the whole ex Yugoslavia, but especially Serbia, was under a major influence of Russia for so many decades (or even centuries) and also the language is similar so I guess most of the authors that are popular in Russia are also popular here. Some of their work is mandatory reading in high-schools.
Dostoyevsky
Tolstoy
Chekhov
Pushkin
Yesenin
Mayakovsky
Bulgakov
Nabokov
Gogol, are the ones almost everyone knows about and probably has read something written by them

Gorky
Turgenev
Ljermontov are known I guess mostly bc there are streets here named by them

And ofc Pelevin as probably the most popular contemporary Russian writer
>>
i'm from england

the quintessential russian authors are dostoyevsky and tolstoy
if you're a bit more knowledgeable you may also know (in order from most to least popular) bulgakov, chekhov, gogol, solzhenitsyn, turganev
and then if you're into modern guys, pelevin and sorokin

THAT'S IT
nabokov is an american
>>
I liked Laurus by Eugene Vodolazkin. Goncharov's Oblomov is brought up here every once in a while
>>
>>9910955
The Gift is a great Russian novel, senpai. Arguably his best.
>>
>tfw learning Russian for a year and a half to be able to read russian lit

I'm finally able to read Tolstoy with only minor dictionary use. What a great feeling. I can't yet say if all of these hundreds of hours have been worth it, but hey, if it wasn't this it would have video games or something.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.