[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to start on aesthetics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: ImmanuelKant.jpg (206KB, 710x735px)
ImmanuelKant.jpg
206KB, 710x735px
I just got interested in them and am now wondering what some great books on the subject are.
>>
>>9895440
Start with the Greeks
>>
start with alberto eco's the da vinci aesthetic
>>
>>9895440
Could you be more specific? Would you like to read e.g. Aristotle, Plato, Baumgarten, Hume, Kant, Hegel... or perhaps someone interpreting their works? Or are you after an introductory book?
>>
the SEP article
>>
>>9895440
Was just about to post this question.
I was thinking Hegel or Kant. I'm not sure though. They're very influential and well known, but that doesn't translate to accessible.
>>
>>9895484
I'd appreciate a suggestion for something introductory.
>>
Routledge Companion to Aesthetics

or probably just any companion to aesthetics
>>
>>9895484
Introductory overall. Probably something recent so it can cover history, do it from both analytic and continental perspectives, etc.
>>
>>9895642
Greeks
>>
>>9895517
exactly
>>
>>9895440
Vaporwave
>>
>>9895642
>>9895558
>introductory overall
I do not know of a single introductory book (in English) that would satisfy your needs. You might want to give the articles on stanford a go and see what you find interesting. Anyways, i recommend you to read the 1st book of Hegel's Aesthetics - it's easily read, he briefly discusses all of his predecessors and lays the groundwork for the following 2 books. Needless to mention, it is an amazing read.
>>
>>9895440
Syllabus for a Philosophy of the Arts class I took last semester:

Week 2: Jan 30-Feb 1
Plato, Ion; Plato, Republic, Book X

Week 3: Feb 6-8
Aristotle, Poetics

Week 4: Feb 13-15
Hume, Of the Standard of Taste

Week 5: Feb 20-22
Kant, Analytic of the Beautiful

Week 6: Feb 27-Mar 1
Kant, Analytic of the Beautiful; Analytic of the Sublime

Week 7: Mar 6-8
Schopenhauer, World as Will and Representation

Week 9: Mar 27-29
Clive Bell, Art; Roger Fry, “Art as Form”

Week 10: Apr 3-5
Tolstoy, What Is Art?; Collingwood, Principles of Art

Week 11: Apr 10-12
Dewey, “Having an Experience”; Monroe Beardsley, “The Creation of Art”

Week 12: Apr 17-19
Martin Heidegger, “The Origin of the Work of Art”; Leo Steinberg, “Contemporary Art and the Plight of Its Public”

Week 13: Apr 24-26
Frank Sibley, “Aesthetic Concepts”; Jorge Luis Borges, “Pierre Menard”; Kendall Walton, “Categories of Art”; Jerrold Levinson, “Aesthetic Contextualism”

Week 14: May 1-3
Morris Weitz, “The Role of Theory in Aesthetics”; Arthur Danto, “The Artworld”; George Dickie, “What Is Art? An Institutional Analysis”

Week 15: May 8-10
Jerrold Levinson, “Defining Art Historically” & “Refining Art Historically”; Noel Carroll, “Identifying Art”
>>
>>9895440
Starting Strength
>>
>>9897692
>Clive Bell
>Dewey
>Sibley
>Weitz
>Levinson
>Carroll
Why is 50% of the syllabus filled with second-grade thinkers?
>>
>>9897832
To study a wide range of thinkers. Also, Levinson was my professor. I actually wrote my final paper critiquing his essays.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.