[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is essential Stoic core? I want to get into stoicism but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: zeno_citium.jpg (21KB, 250x328px) Image search: [Google]
zeno_citium.jpg
21KB, 250x328px
What is essential Stoic core?
I want to get into stoicism but I heard the texts of most of the early stoics including all of Zeno is lost so I'm not sure which to read.
So which are the essential texts?

Already read Meditations and Boethius
>>
Epictetus. OWC have an edition containing his discourses, fragments, and the Handbook. It's cheap (~10 bucks), short (~350 pages), and covers all Stoic principles in comfy Socratic-like dialogues. It's pretty much the go-to book.

Read Seneca* after that if you want hundreds of pages more about the same principles, but written much more beautifully. Arian wrote Epictetus' words in a plain style, basically for the average Joe listening to him.

*Seneca is also better at writing about death and brevity of life, if you ask me. I find that he influences the way I think about it more than Epictetus does, but that could be because of his style.
>>
File: epicuckious.jpg (33KB, 313x424px) Image search: [Google]
epicuckious.jpg
33KB, 313x424px
>>9891011
This website should be the perfect place for you
>>
>>9891091
There is a Reddit page for everything, though. Should we stop talking about all philosophical schools and all authors just because of that? What a bad idea.
>>
>>9891099
>Should we stop talking about all philosophical schools and all authors just because of that?

Unironically, yes
>>
>>9891079
I found the Enchiridion to be more profound and a better introduction to the ideas of Stoicism, but Seneca was a better writer and taught me how to apply these principles in real life.

Seneca's writings on death are absolutely beautiful and helped me cope with it.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.