[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ulysses?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I don't really like audio books, but most people agree that this is a book thats best if read out loud, which is something im sure as hell not gonna do myself. If it indeed is best as an audio book, which version do you guys reccomend?
>>
>>9890912
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY1E-NqPcP0&list=PL2pH-DD1pFYaerbwInIQoLzoGAZfMi10L

Yes, read along with the text though
this one, which is continued in parts, was done by RTE in the 80s, it's pretty good
>>
>>9890912
OP, are you even prepped enough for Ulysses yet? Not to put you off or anything, but Joyce's earlier works make for a good foundation to understand his later developments with prose.

Also reading some of the literary canon that influenced his later work will make things easier. The Odyssey, The KJV Bible, The Epic of Gilgamesh, etc. Joyce read almost everything he could get his hands on and implemented much of it into Ulysses and Finnegans Wake. Without the preparation, Ulysses is likely to feel off-putting and daunting.

It's great if you're feeling ready, or if you want to give the book a blind read-through to see what you're up against (and then maybe re-read it a few years later), but just be aware that the book is likely to fuck you up.

You should genuinely be fine with reading the book rather than listening to it. If you don't read the text, but rather listen to it, you can't re-read some of your favourite passages or re-read paragraphs that are giving you more difficulty.
>>
>>9890912
>>9890947
Here's the offical list of everything you need to read before Ulysses:
A brief history of Ireland
Dubliners
A portrait of the artist as a young man
James joyce by richard ellmann
Hamlet
The odyssey
The bible
Hero with a thousand faces
Paradise lost
faust
Don quixote
Grimma fairy tales
sound and the fury
The sun also rises
Infinite jest
The 48 laws of power
Hittchhikers guide to the galaxy
House of leaves
Game of thrones
The electric koolaid acid test
Fear and loathing in las vegas
Tao te ching
Bossypants by tina fay
Pulp fiction: the screenplay
1000 movies to see before you die
Winslow homer: paintings
The letters of wolfgang amadeus mozart
The bradygames final fantasy 7 strategy guide
>>
>>9890950
Can you give me a more realistic list?
>>
>>9890971
Sure:
>>
>>9890971
Why the fuck do you even need a list? Just read the book and take out it what you can. If You're a smart person you'll read it in such a way that also leaves room for research if you are interested. Otherwise read the book slowly and stop fucking worrying about whether you "get" everything.
>>
>>9890971
The Bible
The Greeks (Especially Homer)
Complete Shakespeare
Dante
Christian philosophy
History of Ireland and the United Kingdom
Irish mythology
A Portrait
Dubliners
Joyce's biography by R. Ellmann

That is the starter pack.
>>
>>9890971
the first seven entries or >>9890978
>>
>>9890971
(Dubliners)
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
>>
>>9890988
>Joyce's biography by R. Ellmann
This book is great even if you don't want to read Joyce. It's like a novel in itself. Highly recommended. It's wonderful.
>>
>>9890947
Why Gilgamesh?
>>
holy fuck...you guys wanting to tackle ulysses, forget everyhing above.

here is a realistic list

essential, non-negotiable
>a portrait of the artist as a young man
>hamlet
>odyssey (and consequently, it would be good to read the iliad too)
>wiki page of dublin and ireland's history, SPECIALLY the irish war of independence AND charles stewart parnell (don't spend too much time on this, just read the wiki pages)

heavily influential
>the bible
>divine comedy (maybe no so much in ulysses, but strongly in portrait of the artist)
>the greeks

would-be-great-to-know-but-it-is-a-bit-too-much-to-ask (too much to ask to read all those books for the sole intent of 'preparing' for ulysses)
>augustine and aquinas (theology generally speaking)
>faust
>paradise lost

here is my advice: you can read the whole canon, you won't understand half of it, so read the basic and just do it my man, I assure you you will enjoy it thoroughly, and then, after some time, with more literary-maturity and more books on your back, you re-read it. thats the key: RE-READING it, thats when you will understand it much better.

reading +2 times the books I've mentioned in 'essential' will give you more understanding than reading 1 time only after reading all the books I've mentioned in this post.
>>
>>9892793
reading ulysses +2 times having only read the books I've mentioned in 'essential' will give you more understanding than reading ulysses 1 time after reading all the books I've mentioned in this post.***************
>>
>>9890919
this is very nice. I have yet to re-read ulysses the 'traditional' way, then later maybe I will read throught the whole book reading + listening to this. the voice and the way the guy speaks seems to fit in very well
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.