[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bright ghosts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_n1ttq5o8oQ1trqm9jo1_1280.jpg (261KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1ttq5o8oQ1trqm9jo1_1280.jpg
261KB, 960x1280px
Are there any books which treat ghosts or the afterlife with a kind of subtle ambiguity? I don't mean like full on jump scare, ooo-and-boo, Casper camp but more like a light nod or mood/tone from the author that says, "maybe it was, maybe it wasn't."

The first example that comes readily to mind is Nabokov. "The Vane Sisters," Pale Fire, Ada and "Details of a Sunset" all feature one or more of the characteristics I listed above. Hell, The Eye and Look at the Harlequins are narrated by characters who are recently deceased.
>>
Not entirely sure I'm grasping what you're trying to say, but Beloved (Morrison) is a well-known example of a work with a character who's maybe a ghost, maybe not.
>>
I think turn of the screw can be interpreted that way. This ghosts just being the underlying psychological trauma.
>>
>>9889925
Lots of DFW
>>
>>9892172
Holy shit wasn't a ghost it was the disembodied manifestation of the authorial intention - for the last fucking time.

Don't you know what 'metafiction' is?
>>
>>9889925
Peace by Gene Wolfe is exactly what you are looking for. Very similar to Nabokov, and I am saying this even though Nabokov is my favourite modern novelist.
>>
>>9892192
if it was DFW before it's definitely a ghost now
>>
George Saunders writes about the afterlife a lot. You might really Enjoy Lincoln in the Bardo. I didn't think it was great, but it takes place in the afterlife. I prefer his short stories. Some afterlife in them, usually towards the end of a story (and it's frequently amazing).
>>
>>9892192
It was both you stupid fundamentalist
>>
>>9889925
might want to try the spoiler tag to be less of a faggot OP

the haunting of hill house is more terrifying for this.
>>
>>9891817
I think I remember skimming through this year's ago and getting the impression something was going on beneath the floorboards. I'll look back into it.

>>9891886
I guess James technically does this, but his tone doesn't really suit the kind of thing I'm searching out. In fact, I think I prefer The Real Thing and The Jolly Corner to TTotS.

>>9892172
>>9892192
>>9892228
Never read DFW, don't plan on it.

>>9892257
I read the first 40 pages and didn't find it interesting enough to continue. It's like joining a conversation in the middle and finding nothing interesting to grab onto.

>>9893247
?
Also, not looking for terrifying, more of a somber mysterious tone which carries the mood rather than the action.
>>
>>9893238
I wrote my freaking Master's Thesis on the radical incorporation of the author in Wallace's work - I think you need to read the book again and understand that DFW was not in the business of writing ghost stories, he was trying to alter the rules of novel writing itself.
>>
>>9894869
>Wrote a thesis
>Therefore I'm right
K
>>
>>9895241
Jesus Christ it's not a joke. You can probably find the word metafiction on DFW's wiki like five times. There are no "ghosts" in Infinite Jest it's an authorial intervention (I call these AIs in my thesis) into the plot of the text. They can be very moving, while at the same time incredibly complicated.

It's not impossible to miss the significance of such passages, but when one does it's best to keep one's mouth shut.
>>
>>9894081
>Also, not looking for terrifying, more of a somber mysterious tone which carries the mood rather than the action.
It is a scary book, but it's scary because the tone and mood shapes the events, rather than the supernatural. it's a bit like monsters on maple street.
>>
>>9895271
You sound like a pretentious nob. The fact DFW has self-conscious Meta elements to his work does not equate to the wraith as an author intervention - it's simply your interpretation
>>
>>9895781
This is not a point serious literary scholars debate and you'd be doing yourself a favor accepting it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.