[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sun Tzu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: the art of war.jpg (13KB, 226x346px) Image search: [Google]
the art of war.jpg
13KB, 226x346px
Is The Art Of War a pleb, patrician, or just average book? I snagged it for 5 bucks at a bookstore a couple days ago.

So far I like it but it seems a little hippie-ish despite being about something as serious and brutal as war. It also doesn't seem particularly deep, although I guess the insights it provides were probably a lot more profound when it was originally written.

It's still neatly poetic.
>>
I tried reading through it, but didn't really get me the first time, I might try reading it again though. I was sort of looking for the same sort of experience that the Book of Five Rings gave, detailing the attitudes of how a warrior should think, and act, and stuff like that.
Also, at least in my version of the book, I didn't like the huge introduction at the beginning, like I get they are trying to provide a background, and give some insight into the times of when the book was written, but if I was so interested in that, I would research that instead. Just give me the basic jist of Sun Tzu, maybe some recommended further reading, and that's it.
I do think it is worth reading eventually, but right now it was just a huge turn-off for me.
>>
Classical Chinese is terse by nature. It's meant to be read along side commentary. I'd recommend the John Minford translation for those who want to read in English.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-War-Strike-Chaos-Penguin/dp/0143037528
>>
Full of clichés. Do not read.
>>
>>9887705

It was written in the fifth century...
>>
File: 1473724905258.jpg (97KB, 880x760px) Image search: [Google]
1473724905258.jpg
97KB, 880x760px
He's like the chinese prince Matchabelli!
>>
Very good stuff. Some of it is obvious, but he frames it very well.

It's a classic , and very short ( you can read it in 2 hours easily) so I see no reason not to
>>
>>9890730

>( you can read it in 2 hours easily

Gonna do this right now! It always feels great to finish a book, even a short one.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.