[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /lit/ write their poems or does it type them? I'm uncertain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: F1000006(1).jpg (2MB, 3360x2240px) Image search: [Google]
F1000006(1).jpg
2MB, 3360x2240px
Does /lit/ write their poems or does it type them? I'm uncertain of how I should engage in poem writing; so I came to ask the more experienced by what form they create their poems
>>
most of the time I try to write my poems by hand I always edit too much and the paper ends up messy and unintelligible and full of scribbles and arrows and I re-write the thing too many goddamn times and take up inordinate amounts of paper. typing allows you the control over the text that a neurotic fucker like myself needs. but actually writing poems down is more romantic, and I like to do that if I get the chance; it can give you a more intimate relationship with your work I think. you just gotta try both and do what works best for you at the time.
>>
>>9885330
Approach in the medium you are most comfortable in. Writing is slower, and may allow you to attain a more comfortable speed of thought with your transcribing. Typing is, obviously, much faster, can can allow you to bang out line after line if you can keep up or if you're shilling bare-bones pander-books
>>
>>9885330
Type allows you to easily tinker with line breaks and higher level mechanics. If you been making poems for a while, you may be hampering yourself if it's anything but the initial draft.
>>
>>9885347
>most of the time I try to write my poems by hand I always edit too much and the paper ends up messy and unintelligible and full of scribbles and arrows and I re-write the thing too many goddamn times and take up inordinate amounts of paper.
this except it's normally a scrap of envelope. you can write it down properly later when the muse isn't talking through you.
>>
>>9885330
I dictate them. To myself. Then I memorize them, but never write them down. I want to know that all this genius is as ephemeral as my being, for this wretched world doesn't deserve the wonder that is I.
>>
I write because typing in a computer with an internet connection offering instant gratification a few clicks away is too much for my weak will.
>>
>>9885625
you don't understand; that's not enough surface area
>>
>>9886017
i write mostly for ants
>>
I adore novels but despise pottery. I find descriptive paragraphs in novels more poetic than actual poems. They're just vague sentences with little context composed of fluff and words from thesaurus.com. It's like those artists who throw buckets of paints onto a canvas and demand it be called art. You can technically interpret their mess in a million ways, but that doesn't change the fact that it only took them a minute to create it by shitting buckets of paint all over a canvas.
>>
>>9886018
i bet they're a good fanbase
>>
>>9886073
the trick is to secure the queen and raid nearby nests for young
>>
I write them in my phone notes and email them to myself when they are done
>>
>>9885330
notes on phone because it's always with me
first draft on paper because I've always kept journals and I like the aesthetic of the pen gliding on the paper
after I finish a journal I'll go through the 200 entries and type them up while editing
<30% make it past initial screening
once I'm happy with it, I move it from date_wip.doc to finished_poems.doc
>>
I usually get drunk and sit on my desk in a pitch dark room with only the desk lamp on. Then I proceed to scribble on my legal pad while thinking about my ex and feeling mildly suicidal. The poems are usually shit though. Like all of my writing.
>>
Those who revealed their preferences have my gratitude.
>>
>>9886040
Sounds like you've literally never have poetry an honest try. Most poems are ultra specific with a concision that embarrassed most novelists. Poetry is much more rigorous.
>>
>>9886040
Stars will drip off harvest moon,
tears that slip in darkest gloom.

Doom does black this faithless night
soon to weep all motes of light.

Bright will gleam that undead eye
right center the iris sky--

its glint from distant sun
gives hint-of false reflection.

Then, bleeding slow, forgotten,
them liquid suns, dropping,

will feed the dirt the light of life.
Still, tonight, I'll kick the earth.

Birth may, just may, come again:
First these eyes must loose a sun.
>>
>>9886040

Your criticism seems a bit confused. Poetry is somehow overwrought ('thesaurus.com'), yet simultaneously random ('buckets of paint all over a canvas'). Which one is it?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.