[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which stories should I read/avoid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

I just got this book, read the first two stores " The Alchemist " which was meh and something about a guy being stuck in a dark cave and kills some guy which was better. Any recommendations?
>>
>>9883906
get Necronomicon. It's his best stuff in one place
>>
>>9883920
I already got this. I heard this has everything Necronomicon has, which stories were good from that book?
>>
File: Slot_dunnwich_in_somewhr_too.png (333KB, 846x773px) Image search: [Google]
Slot_dunnwich_in_somewhr_too.png
333KB, 846x773px
>>9883906
>>
>>9883906
The following are all pretty good. In no particular order...
Dagon
Nyarlathotep
The Call of Cthulhu
The Shadow over Innsmouth
The Colour out of Space
At the Mountains of Madness
The Music of Erich Zann
Pickman's Model
The Dream-Quest of Uknown Kadath
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
The Haunter of the Dark
The Shadow out of Time
The Whisperer in Darkness
The Strange High House in the Mist
The Festival
The Dreams in the Witch-House
The Dunwitch Horror
The Nameless City
>>
>>9883906
I've read and reread a lot of HPL. Call Of Cthulhu, Dunwich Horror, The Colour Out Of Space are essential, and stood up well to rereads a couple of years later.

I find a good deal of his acclaimed work boring, e.g. At The Mountains Of Madness and The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Slowly paced and bogged down in scientific realism.
>>
>>9883906
A lot of people dislike different things.
i.e. Most people don't like his dream stuff. I love them. Even The White Ship.

Be careful with his colabs/revisions tho. Some of them are horrible. Especially Castro. Fuck that guy.
>>
>>9884158
I'll second this list. These are pretty good stories.

Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath is the best, but totally bizarre and not a good place to start.
>>
Pretty sure The Alchemist is something he wrote as a youth.

Skip ahead, read these two stories:

The Call of Cthulhu
The Music of Erich Zann

If you like them, go ahead and keep reading. If not, might as well pass on the book to someone who might like it
>>
Avoid the Horror at Red Hook. Only worth a read if you're interested in lovecraft's racial features. Not very horrific or good and doesn't tie in to thw further mythos.
>>
Read all of it in chronological order. He gets better as he goes on. The dream cycle of very good and I'm seemingly the only one who likes it. Follow up with Dunsay.
>>
No love for the doom that came to sarnath?
>>
>>9886741
chronological like publication order or story order?
>>
>>9886755
-eah, I meant publication
>>
>>9886741
I agree with the dream cycle. Really beautiful set of stories.
>>
>>9886762
yeah, thanks I want to start Lovecraft and his mythos, but I wasn't sure how and all the internet reading orders are shitty
>>
Hypnos
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/hy.aspx

The Tomb
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/t.aspx
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.