[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please don't bully

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: martin-heidegger-window-296x300.jpg (13KB, 296x300px) Image search: [Google]
martin-heidegger-window-296x300.jpg
13KB, 296x300px
Guys, has anyone felt like you "grew out" of reading? I mean it in the most shy but honest way
Last year was probably the year I read the most in my life, I didnt take literature too seriously in the past
But this year, I don't really feel the need to read. I would rather reread some of the books I consider more important to me
Maybe is because last year I was legit depressed and having mental breakdowns that I felt the need to replace the words of my own mind for the ones of just as troubled but more coherent human beings

Has anyone experienced something similar?
Descartes said he felt like he had had enough from the thoughts of others when he started traveling and developing his "own" philosophy
>>
Well, in Descartes' case, I don't think you really take that as some basic aristotelian syllogism to the added benefit it may give you to go traveling, whether physically or just literarily. I think that at this point, you've reached a point where you're confident enough that what you've read is enough to keep a livable, bearable conversation going on in your mind that reflects the world around you, and I think anything you read from here wouldn't necessarily be able to detract from that, but rather add that to it which would somehow make you feel bereft of your grounding again. If you never want to attenuate this feeling of "grown-outed ness," then by all means, don't read; but that, I think most people would paradoxically say, is defying the imperative of all patrician thought or personal discourse through literature in general, which is to always press onward, to experience and reflect on new things. You could feel in the future like this time you felt that you'd grown out of something was wasted, because of the way you feel right now getting in the way of that need, or seeming responsibility, to further your reading and find more things that can be "important" to you.
>>
Pls respond
I have no one else to ask this stuff
>>
>>9883628
I know I aint no Descartes
What kind of stuff should I read keeping in mind the situation in which I am. It would have to be something completly alike to the path of the western cannon

I've been much more in touch with music lately

Is if like my body doesn't want me to expose myself to more words, sometimes I just stare at the window for hours, with either an almost blank mind or the total opposite state, feeling time passing through and carrying me. I know this sounds chessy but is true.
>>
>>9883664
>What kind of stuff should I read keeping in mind the situation in which I am. It would have to be something completly alike to the path of the western cannon

Alike? I would say to read the Odyssey, but that's just me
>>
>>9883629
Why does it bother you?
From your account you weren't that grown into reading in the first place. I'm I wrong?
Some people don't really feel the need to read in order to know the world better. They are comfortable with knowing as much as they do.
It is possible that as you grow older and settle into a daily routine that is satisfying for you, you will feel less desire to pursue new knowledge, though if you were that kind of person from the start I don't think it would be normal to to completely cease from it.
There are times you are more comfortable with where you stand currently and times when you feel more insecure and need to know more. I think those phases follow each other naturally and you needn't strive to the one or the other.
Does the thought of not feeling the need to read as much cause you some sort of anxiety or is it just a curious observation?
>>
>>9883521
>But this year, I don't really feel the need to read. I would rather reread some of the books I consider more important to me

Yeah, I feel that. I think a lot of people as they get older figure out what they like and need out of literature and end up narrowing their tastes, reading less new stuff or stuff they haven't read before.

Personally, I mostly grew out of novels. Not to say that I don't read some, but I think most are bad and I can't motivate myself to take the risk of reading a novel that might be less than excellent.
>>
you have to live the ideas out. if you dont then youve killed your soul that you kept alive the whole time reading. thats when you know which of those ideas really resonate with your being. although this doesnt mean you should go 360 and purposely retard yourself.
>>
>>9883675
Agree
>>
I wouldn't say grown out. But i hate how reading is pushed relentlessly as some pseud status activity. I don't want to read the latest journalist / social science academics "groundbreaking" new book. I don't care about boring as fuck translations of poems. I don't care about critical theory or continental philosophy and consider it mostly dishonest bullshit. These modern new England / London centric barely disguised "literary fiction" memoirs by women and non whites do not interest me. I have no interest in some bullshit post 1950 "insightful" kitchen sink post modern writer.

Of course I don't care about fantasy or YA or most sci-fi but nobody is calling me stupid for having those preferences, unlike the previous paragraph

So I genuinely don't give a fuck about most books. Just not a single fuck.
>>
>>9883521
I never felt what you feel op, but if you give me a chance, I would say that, now that you have developed somekind of taste your options natural narrow-down and you keep to the things that you know and feel safe about.
Or maybe is a phase... Maybe you go back into reading a lot. I would say is from person to person
>>
>>9883671
It does cause me anxiety
I don't want to feel in this "solid" state for ever
I've always chased new experiences and knowledge, I want more, but my "self" is closed to that kind of sensibility

Maybe is the medication
>>
>>9883521
Schopenhauer's "On reading and books"

"Reading is equivalent of thinking with someone else's head instead with one's own"
>>
>>9883728
I don't know. It sounds like just a stage.
I think its natural for anyone to want to develop in whatever way is most comfortable for them and if yours is through amassing knowledge then it would be unnatural to not want to do it.
There is a sort of feeling like you don't want anything to disrupt your current mental balance so you want to avoid any new information that might contradict the philosophy that works for you right now. if you've only recently stabilized I think it's normal that you would want to avoid anything potentially confusing. Maybe when you get more comfortable with your current life-style you will relax a little and start reading more. You can try to distract yourself with light reading until then.

I don't know anything about medications though.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.