[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your favourite national epic, /lit/? Why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: book cover beowulf.gif (87KB, 370x562px) Image search: [Google]
book cover beowulf.gif
87KB, 370x562px
What is your favourite national epic, /lit/? Why?
>>
The Lusiads. Because I liked it.
>>
The iliad
>>
>>9878291
gilgamesh
>>
>>9878398
a good choice
>>
>>9878291
Is the Mahabharata worth reading? seems crazy long
>>
>>9878477
Unless you're a Hindu it's not worth it to read the entire thing. There's a fair amount of stuff that'll fly over your head if you're not well versed in Hindu myths and rituals, and unlike the Iliad it's way too long so reaching a level of knowledge to be able to appreciate and read the epic will take years.

Read the abridged version of the Mahabharata by c rajagopalachari. Also, you can read the Ramayana in it's original form, which is much shorter and more accessible than the Mahabharata.
>>
>>9878291
Shahnameh, Zoroastrian epic of Greater Iran
>>
>>9878477
Read the Bhagavad Gita, it's a standalone part of the Mahabharata.

>>9878515
>it's not worth it to study another culture/religion unless you're explicitly a part of it
When you say read, I'm assuming you mean translations, which are entry mode anyway.
>>
>>9879713
Why does everyone jerk off to Vedic myths but never Zoroastrian, which are actually closer to Western ethos?
>>
>>9879721
As one who is reading the Shahnameh and studying Zoroastrianism, I think this is a good thing.

Zoroastrianism is the only "exotic" religion that hasn't been overly popularized and watered down for modern Westerners.

The short answer to your question would be that the British Empire put Westerners into direct contact with India for centuries, and that Hinduism has influenced a wider cultural area. (Though I suppose that's debatable if you consider the Abrahamic religions to be offshoots of Zoroastrianism.)
>>
The mountain wreath
Because I'm a Serb and I like genocide handbooks
>>
>>9879721
>>9879753
Also (pseud) people are more likely to jerk off to whatever is most different from their culture.
>>
>>9879753
>and studying Zoroastrianism
How much have you studied Zoroastrianism? Do you believe older, pre-Sassanian Zoroastrianism to have been more monotheistic or a cosmological dualism and henotheism?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.