[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a stupid man. Please educate me.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: hat.jpg (85KB, 477x656px) Image search: [Google]
hat.jpg
85KB, 477x656px
I am a stupid man.
Please educate me.
>>
I'm surprised lit, nobody wants to help me be a better human being?
>>
Start with the Greeks
>>
>>9876603
Fine. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eYHQcXVp4F4
>>
Okay well I'll just type and see what happens.

Recently I emigrated to the United States to be with my wife (I know, people have told me it was dumb but I'm happy here) and as a result, I can't work for a few months until my greencard has been processed.
I figured that this would be a pretty good opportunity to increase my value as a person.
As far as education goes I have a little of this and that but no real knowledge in anything, I'd describe it as being good at trivial pursuit at best.
>>
>>9876614
Thanks for the link, just watching now.

>>9876607
I have Edith Hamilton's Mythology but aren't the Greeks suggested for a basis in philosophy or would this apply as a good basis for an understanding of literature in general?
>>
>>9876627
Literature as well, the Iliad and the Odyssey are essential.
>>
>>9876634
Those two are on the list, any good resources on the two? Perhaps a translation that is accepted as the best?
>>
Ah also, my main problem, I think, is retention of knowledge.
I lack the desire to carry on and push forward too, do you have any advice for maintaining motivation and structured learning?
>>
>>9876649
Retention of knowledge comes with interest. Find something you're interested in. Why do you want to learn stuff, anyway? Get to the bottom of that.
>>
>>9876655
That's a pretty solid line of questioning!
It'd be nice to convey my opinions clearly and hold my own in a conversation but the main desire is just because I enjoy learning more.
I'm just having a hard time getting the ball rolling.
>>
>>9876642
Either Fagles or Lattimore for translations. Lattimore is better at preserving the poetry, but Fagles is easier to read.
>>
>>9876675
Would reading both be a good idea? Fagles first?
>>
>>9876665
If you want to speak clearly, you need to be able to think clearly. And I think that the easiest way to learn how to do that is to read the works of people who thought clearly. If you do that, you will absorb their qualities unconsciously.

I would recommend reading some of Schopenhauer's essays (or Montaigne's), or some of Plato's easier/introductory dialogues.

Is there any subject that you'd like to learn in particular, or do you enjoy learning for its own sake?
>>
>>9876679
Thanks for those names, I've heard of all of them but not in any real depth.
As for a subject, that's a tough one.
I really enjoy classical music, jazz, literature, science and math but with those last two it's more of a trivia type deal. It's fun to learn about impressive feats of both subjects but I don't know how much I'd enjoy actually learning them.
>>
>>9876690
I should also add, I have a particular interest in foreign languages but I'm not sure which to learn.
This interest is more for literature in its native language rather than as a job opportunity, but saying that, of course I'd be happy to have another language to put on my CV.
>>
Sorry for the bump but could anyone tell me how long a thread usually lasts on /lit/? I want to sleep soon but I want to explore this more.
>>
Clean your room.
>>
>>9876765
You cheeky sod, my room is clean.

I think I will sleep, thanks for all the posts, I guess there'll be more to read if it's up when I awake.
>>
>>9876762
they last a long time, it's a very slow board. there'll probably still be people on here tomorrow
>>
>>9876677
Why would you read both, you will just get bored (unless you are a massive patrician, but you would probably be learning greek by now if you were)? Just read Lattimore if you are a fluent english speaker and not a brainlet.

Follow the Iliad and Oddysey with the Aeneid and bam you are on your way, a great path is to read the Bible next and follow up with a short Italian/Papal history lesson then take on Dante's Divine Comedy, that is more than enough to keep you busy.
>>
>>9877677
I wasn't sure if the ease of reading would be beneficial to introduce me to a subject I'm unfamiliar with.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.