[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nonfiction Buddhism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0107.jpg (89KB, 424x595px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0107.jpg
89KB, 424x595px
I am interested in finding a non-fiction introduction to Buddhism and meditation. I Live in America and recently found a Buddhist temple that welcomes new comers and teaches meditation. Before I go there I would like to become a little more knowledgeable on the subject. Any help would be appreciated
>>
The dhammapada is probably good to start with. From there, it would probably be wise to start shopping between theravada and mahayana and vajrayana and zen... and your teacher will probably also suggest books of a certain sect.
>>
I've read and enjoyed rupert guthin's Foundations of Buddhism so I'd suggest that.
Gives a good overview of the history of buddhism and philosophical/religious ideas in it as well as the difference in texts and attitudes between theravada and mahayana.
>>
>nonfiction
>buddhism
>same sentence
>haha
>>
>>9875492
>>9875500
What do you guys think about the Dalai Lama's book How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life?
>>
Ajahn Summedho has a great 5 volume anthology which is completely free. he's a wonderful man, I strongly suggest you read books by monks; they are always free.
>>
Do NOT study Tibetan Buddhism or any Vajrayana trash.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>9875479
>>
>>9875630
I love you, Theravada for life
>>
>>9877321
>>9875630

Take a look at http://www.buddhistische-gesellschaft-berlin.de/downloads/brokenbuddhanew.pdf
>>
>tfw my therapist tried to get me to join the Buddhist temple she belongs to
Isn't that a conflict of interest?
>>
>>9875630
Why?
>>
>>9875492
Seconding the dhammapada. Get an edition with some level of introduction and history with it though. Not much but enough for background.
>>
>>9877339
Depends entirely on motivations for doing so but it does sound a bit unprofessional at the very least.
>>
>>9875513
*tips*
>>
File: 1200x630bb[1].jpg (96KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1200x630bb[1].jpg
96KB, 600x600px
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.