[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

goo goo g'joob

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (86KB, 629x785px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 629x785px
Favorite short stories by Gene Wolfe?
Favorite short stories that aren't in Gene Wolfe's Best... collection?
>>
>>9873847
Changeling, seven american nights, doctor of death island and the other archipelago stories, eyeflash miracles ... not in best of ... changeling, melting, from the cradle
>>
>>9873847
death of doctor island desu
>>
File: walrus milk.png (909KB, 1841x1193px) Image search: [Google]
walrus milk.png
909KB, 1841x1193px
I like the variation of the Ship of Theseus story which is told in the BotNS
>>
>>9874079
Is that the one with the savage boy and underwater dome or the one about the old guy who dies and then a couple youngsters hold hand or something, damn these titles
>>
I really really love "The Hero as a Werwolf". It set my imagination on fire as a young man.
"Hunting Song" is also a really good one.
>>
>>9874895
Oh my god, I'm retarded, the story is actually called Tracking Song
>>
>>9873847
my favorite Gene Wolfe story is "Liane the Wayfarer", bec- no, wait, that's by Jack Vance. my favorite Gene Wolfe story would be "Under the Generator", because i- no, wait, that's by John Shirley. okay, my favorite Gene Wolfe story has to be "The Swarm" - no, wait, that's by Bruce Sterling.

i don't like Gene Wolfe.
>>
>>9874750
the first the boy and the whore in the planet
>>
>>9873847
I legit cried at the end of the The Eyeflash Miracles.
>>
File: IMG_1092.jpg (318KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1092.jpg
318KB, 2048x1536px
Short and sweet:

1/4
>>
File: IMG_1093.jpg (760KB, 1734x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1093.jpg
760KB, 1734x2048px
>>9875844

2/4
>>
File: IMG_1095.jpg (339KB, 2048x942px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1095.jpg
339KB, 2048x942px
>>9875849

3/4
>>
File: IMG_1094.jpg (645KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1094.jpg
645KB, 2048x1536px
>>9875852

4/4
>>
Death of doctor island
>>
>>9875856
>I like it because it was accepted by The New Yorker
Pseud
>>
>>9875891

That was unkind, friend. :(
>>
>>9875575
I think someone is cruising for an ass beating ...
>>
>>9874750
That's the brain lobe savage one bwahaha
>>
>>9875844
>>9875849
>>9875852
Reminiscent of Borges
>>
Sword of the Lictor
>>
Westwind was pretty cool

>what if 1984 was just about Big Brother helping Winston find a gf?
>>
>>9873847
Labor Day was Wolfe going for a Kafka and I loved it. Island of Doctor Death is probably his best tho.
>>
>>9873847
'Parkroads - A Review' is the most bizarrely compelling thing I've ever read.

>>9874175
>variation of the Ship of Theseus story
Which is that? I'm sure I'll feel stupid as sure as I hear but I can't think of it right now. My favourite BotNS story is the steppe woman's one. I guessed the ending so it made me feel clever, and it was also very nice and simple. Pre-huge battle Citadel of the Autarch is very pleasant reading.

>>9876814
>Westwind
Made me feel so hard. 'This is Westwind'
>>
>>9877117
Sorry I messed up it's based on Theseus and the Minotaur, not the ship. It's called the Tale of the Student and His Son. Can't remember exactly where it is.

And Wolfe being clever again

Theseus --> thesis --> student
>>
>>9877706
Oh, that one. With the maze of canals and the aqua-robot Minotaur. It's quite good. It's the one that Severian reads aloud from his book in the prison in the House Absolute to the girl there. Also Jonas recognizes the link to Greek mythology, a clear hint that he's not like everyone else at all.
>>
>>9877782
Yes. Unravelling Jonas was one of the best parts of the New Sun for me.
>>
>>9874895
These two stories were my first Wolfe stories.
>>
>lmao dude just embed deep, ambiguous religious philosophical and literary buzzles in everything you ever write
>and invent the Pringles machine too you fuckin madman
>>
How many severians were in all thw novel? 3?
>>
>>9878083
At least 7.
>>
>>9878087
>>9878083
>Severian
>Seve__n
Bravo Wolfe
>>
>>9878097
at least you are not the malazan autismos with the sever thing
>>
File: lol_fairy3.jpg (13KB, 400x342px) Image search: [Google]
lol_fairy3.jpg
13KB, 400x342px
>>9876110
> mfw threatened by a fan of a catholic apologist on a chinese cartoon board
>>
>>9878544
Do you dislike Gene Wolfe primarily because of his weird take on Catholicism?

I don't agree with Wolfe's politics but I think he's one of the rare genre fiction writers who are a breed apart. Nobody else writers a novel like a Wolfe novel (or story). They're put together to be taken apart.
>>
File: 81CJztP7wyL.jpg (324KB, 1100x1650px) Image search: [Google]
81CJztP7wyL.jpg
324KB, 1100x1650px
Probably his best Novellas
>>
>>9878097
Saint Severian
>>
>>9878544
Sometimes people transcend their demographic.
>>
>>9879126
Despite their best efforts
>>
File: 9910000021213_cg.jpg (291KB, 1112x1486px) Image search: [Google]
9910000021213_cg.jpg
291KB, 1112x1486px
>>9878559
First I've heard of the Catholic connection. No wonder he has so many fanboys here.
Are his politics rightwing?
>>
i am an edgelord gnostic and i still love his works.
What gives?
>>
>>9879202
The fanboys predate the christcuck invasion though (at least the unironic one). And I've seen them occasionally dismayed to find him not quite the orthodox catholic, so he's probably not as right wing as they'd like.
>>
Do the novellas count? I'm a big fan of "The Fifth Head of Cerberus," that is to say the novella itself. It's a really cozy depiction of childhood even as it simultaneously builds a vast alien world, and then it gets very strange towards the end in a fascinating way.
>>
>>9879202
His politics and religious thoughts are weird over being tagged as anything currently in vogue on 4chan. Let's be real: most of these people urging for a return to traditional Christianity aren't Christian. But you can't miss religion in the Book of the New "Sun" right?

>>9879228
They're good?
>>
>>9879202
>First I've heard of the Catholic connection.
Comes up in every thread. Also impossible to miss in his writings.
>Are his politics rightwing?
He is a firm Catholic in all things, including the adherence to the Magisterium. He also contains a lot of Aquinas and Augustine in the Solar Cycle, with almost explicit quotes of thomist political philosophy. His favourite writer is Chesterton, who lead to his conversion.
>>
>>9879257
>Fifth Head of Cerberus
I've recently seen a post about this one having been "solved" a few years ago. Where was that, on urth-list? Because I remember having the impression I wasn't getting something.
>>
>>9878826
I think I might like The Fifth Head of Cerberus more than the Solar Cycle. Living in Australia probably makes it more interesting because for me real life is also a post-colonial identity crisis.

>>9879202
>First I've heard of the Catholic connection
Have you not seen the popular meme-image of him using a sledgehammer to drive a crucifix through a copy of 'Litany of the Long Sun'? I thought it was a pretty accurate visual representation of what reading that book feels like.
>>
>>9880224
>solved
It's about Veil's Hypothesis, if you read closely enough you can find the truth. The population of St. Croix is entirely abos imitating human beings, with the exception of Maitre, Number 5 who are human (and the same person) and David and 5's Aunt, who are presumably half and half. Also 5's brother and aunt are technically also his son and daughter, isn't that weird?
>>
>>9880290
>Also 5's brother and aunt are technically also his son and daughter, isn't that weird?
Fucking French degenerates
>>
>>9881327
It gets stranger
Number 5's name is confirmed to be Gene Wolfe.
>>
>>9881477
>>9880290
>>9881327
Was it ever explained how Number 5 knew Marsch was an abo?
>>
>>9880290
Oh, I thought that hypothesis had been explicitly mentioned in the book. though.
>>
Bump I need answers
>>
What should one read to become like Gene?

So far I've got

The Greeks
Thomas Aquinas
Nabokov
Woolf
Holy Bible

what else?
>>
>>9874895

Those are both excellent. That collection in general is GOAT.
>>
>>9884873
G.K. Chesterton and St. Augustine.
>>
>>9879202

He says he's "not a doctrinaire conservative."
>>
>>9884873
Borges is a must. You can really see the Borges influence in New Sun.

Also:

Kafka
Wells (in particular the Island of Dr Moreau)
>>
>>9884909
>You can really see the Borges influence in New Sun

Like what?
>>
>>9885160
nigga
really?

just remember how Wolfe wrote that he found the manuscript, ring any bell?
And that is just a superficial similitude
>>
>>9885168
Well I didn't really read Borghes and the book existing in RL was a pretty weak gimmick
>>
>>9885182
>Well I didn't really read Borghes
why i am always surrounded by plebeians, is this a punishment?
>>
>>9885185
>plebeians

surely you mean dunces
>>
>>9883151
It's mentioned, but only as a theory. There's proof scattered across the three novellas.

>>9884873
The complete works of
>R. A. Lafferty
The OG writer of autistic Catholic short science-fiction. Wolfe wrote a very nice homage to his work once, 'Has Anybody Seen Junie Moon?'
>Tolkien
Everyone who creates their own world for their genre-fiction is drawing inspiration from Tolkien whether they admit it or not. Wolfe had a letter correspondence going with him before he died.
>Jack Vance
His flowery adventure stories and weird future setting are a clear inspiration behind Book of the New Sun, and to a lesser extent some of Wolfe's other work.
>Chesterton
Already mentioned but seconding it because it's so important. Chesterton was to Wolfe what Wolfe is to /lit/.
>>
>>9885160
>Like what?

Well, some of my favourite examples are the librarian Ultan and the library itself under Nessus. The character Ultan, who went blind while caring for his books, is an homage to Borges and essentially *is* Wolfe inserting Borges into his story. The huge library that surpasses the boundary of the city reminds me of Borges' games with infinities and there's also that philosophical discussion Severian has with Ultan.

Another more obvious example is that the character Baldanders is taken straight from Borges' "Book of Imaginary Beings". Next time you're in a bookshop take a look in that book, you will find Baldanders there and IIRC some others.
>>
>>9886076
Gonna dl some borghes then
>>
Anyone read Soldier of Sidon?
>>
>>9886378
Borges is like lightning, I'd be surprised if you don't want to dive in once you pick it up.

>>9886386
Nope, but feel free to rec it. What's good?
>>
>>9886430
Well, you have to read Latro in the Mist before (which is my favorite Wolfe book and the one I find the most rewarding to figure out).
Sidon is easier to decipher and plays out in a different cultural/historical background. Fun read for sure if you're a history nerd. To be honest it feels like Wolfe needed an excuse to write something about Egyptian mythology and not like a direct sequel to the Soldier series. I went in expecting a conclusion and left with even more questions about the main characters fate.
>>
>>9886430
>>9886451
Also I'm gonna be mad as fuck if Wolfe dies before we get one last sequel.
The first two books lay out this grand prophecy and then Sidon just stops when things get interesting. I don't see the "pax romana" and "Ares/god becoming tired of war" narrative many people picked up from the first two books progress any further in Sidon which is disappointing. Maybe I just don't have enough knowledge of Egyptian mythology to grasp the bigger picture in Sidon.
>>
File: gaimanwolfe[1].jpg (50KB, 493x330px) Image search: [Google]
gaimanwolfe[1].jpg
50KB, 493x330px
>>9886469
If Wolfe has to die then maybe his physical body will decay into dust but his literary power level is too strong to leave us entirely.

My own guess, albeit an educated guess, is that his literary spirit will invade and take over a suitable host author after his death, someone good but enough of a blank slate for Wolfe to work through him, possibly Neil Gaiman.

Screencap this and credit me if the quality of Gaiman's work increases after Wolfe has "passed away".
>>
>>9886627
lel
I don't think Wolfe would be OK with his immortal soul haunting Neil Gaiman's body instead of going to heaven(Wolfe being a Christfag and all).
My hope is that he's got some stuff stashed away to be released after his death.
>>
>>9886469
>Also I'm gonna be mad as fuck if Wolfe dies before we get one last sequel.
He explitictly stated that it's too much work and that won't finish it.
Sorry.
>>
>>9886656
Source?
>>
>>9886650
>Wolfe being a Christfag and all

Jesus will send him back then
>>
>>9886656
Am I gonna have to read Aramini's fan fiction to get a satisfying ending?
What the fuck, Wolfe?
>>
>>9886708
That Aramini is getting too smug for his own good desu
>>
>>9886627
Anon, it breaks my heart to tell you but Wolfe is no the autharch
>>
>>9886915
well he wasnt recommending that gaiman absorb wolfes memories physically, only that he would be taken over by his spirit
>>
>>9886667
A podcast with him, he did like 3 so one of them.
>>
>>9877782
>>9877706

There's a second pun there as well. Minotaur -> Monitor, which is a class of warship, which is similar to what the monster in the story is described as.
>>
>>9887997
oh shiiiiit
>>
>>9887997
He claims to have not made up any words for those books but naviscaput is fishy as fuck, I can find no source for it.
>>
>>9887997

>Minotaur -> Monitor, which is a class of warship, which is similar to what the monster in the story is described as.

jesus christ
>>
>>9889766
I read somewhere on the urth list that several of his "made up" words are in fact hapax legomenons, meaning words that have only ever appeared once before in another words. They're as close to being made up without, in fact, being made up. I'm guessing Wolfe just has an extraordinary memory and remembers these unique words from all the books he's read.
>>
>>9889813
>once before in another words
meant once before in another work
>>
>>9886469
"Many people" - aramini.

Look at a pic of ra. The snake you see by the disk of the sun, symbol of divinity and kingship, is uraeus, latro's slave. Look at the description of the egyptian war god horus in the apendix, god of light - lucius. The syncretism is still there.
>>
>>9886708
The editors fucked up the last line of the story if you read it. The one submitted read "and though it would last long and very long, there was no mercy in it." Butchered as fuarck to "though it would long, there was no mercy in it." Also, the dog is definitely black.
>>
>>9886650
Gaiman's mediocrity does not serve as a worthy vessel to the master. I would rather wolfe become pure spirit and begin speaking through rattling pringle cans, denoted by haloes of fire.
>>
>>9879228
>i am an edgelord gnostic

You should definitely read PKD if you haven't already. He was /yourguy/.
>>
>>9891289
I actually got both of those references when reading the book but Lucius' character does not seem to develop any further into a pacifist direction from the actions he performs and the thoughts he writes down in Soldier of Sidon.
The book simply ends too early for the final character development to take place.
>>
>>9892387
He lost his sword ...
>>
>>9892387
The silver lamp of aphrodite makes a weird appearance ... are we to believe the bought cat girl is some form of true love and the cheating a lie?
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.