[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just started reading the republic. Any works or characters I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: rebublig.jpg (796KB, 874x1416px) Image search: [Google]
rebublig.jpg
796KB, 874x1416px
Just started reading the republic. Any works or characters I should be familiar with? Should I know who Thrasymachus and Lysias are, or will I know what I need to know by the end of the book? Is it even important to understand the text?
>>
>>9873022
>is it even important to understand the text?
what
>>
>>9873022
Checked. At the very least, read about Socrates trial before you begin.
>Recommended: 5 dialogues, Hackett edition
>>
>>9873022
>Should I know who Thrasymachus and Lysias are

Not really. Who they are is not important. What matters is their argument.
>>
>>9873071
Following up on this, for The Republic -- You should use the Allan Bloom edition
>>
>>9873022

Not really. It doesn't matter who they are. What matters is their argument.
>>
>>9873098
>>9873132

Thrasymachus and Lysias BTFO
>>
>>9873098
>>9873132
Baneposting on /lit/
>>
>>9873022
You can understand their point of view from the dialogue, really theyre there to maneuver the story where plato wants it to go.
>>
>>9873022
>Any works or characters I should be familiar with?
I mean, one could lazily say "read all the Greeks before this" but that's unrealistic and distracting. With all of the poetry quotations throughout, my suggesting would be to look up those passages (when feasible) in their original contexts to discover how Plato uses them. Pretty often he'll have a character quote a line of poetry in defense of a position, and looking up the original context reveals weird interplays between the quoted passage and the dialogue.

There are three works I can think of, however, that you should read: The Ring of Gyges story in Herodotus's Histories (it's very short), and two Aristophanes plays that the Republic is responding to (in part): The Assembly of Women, and The Birds.

Sure; maybe look up Debra Nails's The People of Plato on b-ok.org or something, which has biographies and accounts of all the people that appear in Plato's writings. Totally invaluable.

For Thrasymachus and Lysias specifically, it's important to compare how they're treated in the dialogue Phaedrus. Thrasymachus's key trait there is described as being able to stir up the city's emotions (look carefully as the Thrasymachus debate, his indignation is more feigned than real, and confer Socrates's later claim about being friends with Thrasymachus). It might be important to note that besides being a sophist by trade, Thrasymachus acted as an ambassador to Athens for his home country at a point when Chalcedon was in iffy standing with Athens. Lysias is the talented brother of Polemarchus, who escaped the slaughter of the Thirty Tyrants that Polemarchus suffered.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.