[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth reading a book if I have to stop several times a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1501629523573.jpg (231KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
1501629523573.jpg
231KB, 1080x1349px
Is it worth reading a book if I have to stop several times a page to check the meaning of a word?
>>
>>9872432
Hnnngggg
>>
>>9872432
what bird decided to nest in her hair and so you think she shaves her pits
>>
>>9872432
Thats what I did when I started reading Les Mis in high school. Sometimes getting through a page would take me 10-15 min. I've encountered a few books in which that was only the case for the first few chapters. After those initial chapters the book became much more manageable in terms of vocabulary.

It's up to you whether it is worth it or not. Once you become more familiar with the new words you'll see them repeat and multiple examples so it does help with learning them. Come back to the novel if you feel you aren't ready but I would advise to read it.
>>
>going on the internet to ask if something is worth doing even though it's hard
not gonna make it
>>
>>9872432
>is it worth doing something that allows you to improve your vocabulary and thus yourself in the meanwhile

I'm guessing here you are some kind of subhuman, am I wrong?
>>
File: file.png (147KB, 400x526px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
147KB, 400x526px
>>9872432
That's what ereaders are for
>>
>>9872432
How are you going to build up your vocabulary if you only read easy reading pap?
>>
In a foreign language or your native?
If foreign, I suggest you come back later.
I tried to read Natsume Souseki in the original a few years before and it was too tedious since I had to look up every second word.
Now I can read it and enjoy it.
If it's your native language then I don't know.
I rarely have to look up words in my native lang.
>>
>>9872742
I don't use a pop-up dictionary even when reading in languages where my vocabulary coverage is not as high as it is in English. I'll learn the words over time either by encountering them often or by making note of words I really want to clarify for myself.

To read a book in a foreign language, your vocabulary coverage should be high enough to understand more than the gist of most paragraphs. For example, I can do this in languages like Norwegian and German but not in Russian or Serbocroatian simply because in the latter two there are way too many unknowns.
>>
File: f93[1].png (279KB, 898x790px) Image search: [Google]
f93[1].png
279KB, 898x790px
>>9872432
>tfw the only novel in the past 6 months that made you look up words is Finnegans Wake
I wanna go back to the simpler times
>>
File: angry_cat.jpg (8KB, 269x211px) Image search: [Google]
angry_cat.jpg
8KB, 269x211px
>>9872432
I think it's totally worth it unless you don't want to understand what's being said and want to stay a brainlet. Why are you even asking this?
>>
>>9872432
Use vocab.com and add all the words you don't know to a list so you can learn their meanings
>>
I'm having to do exactly as OP describes with 'The Magus' by John Fowles. It's a chore, but I do feel like I'm broadening my horizons, thought I expect that's entirely what the author wanted.
>>
>>9872432
I am sick and tired of this. Every day I come to /lit/, and every day there is at least one thread up with an OP image of an attractive woman dressed scantily and posing seductively. It's probably the same one or two people who do it honestly. Let me tell you something, you faggot pieces of shit who are doing this: you are the poster child for everything that is wrong in literature, art, and society as a whole today. You are incapable of coming up with anything creative, thought provoking, or of substance, and you lack even the smallest modicum of intelligence, so you use "style" and "flash" and pizazz in place of it and to draw attention to yourself, because that's the only way your SHIT "creation" and ideas would ever get seen by anyone. And before you say anything, this has NOTHING to do with the fact that I don't have a girlfriend. Anyway, I will be petitioning the owner of this website to ban your asses, so enjoy being able to post here while it lasts, because it's not going to last long, just like you that one time you convinced an obese girl to let you fuck her..
>>
Are you reading Chaucer in the original middle English?
>>
Why would you ever look up a word? If it's a good word you'll come across it many times and learn what it means through exposure, then you'll know what the word really means
Dictionaries are for engineers
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.