[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this what Debord meant by "spectacle"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 20

Is this what Debord meant by "spectacle"?
>>
>>9870064
Spectacle has always been a part of human life, but it has gone out of control with the advent of the Internet, smartphones, etc. I don't think that is up for debate.
>>
spectacles are relationshits of people mediated by images, yes

watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irdHSmRrdh0
>>
>>9870064

Debord is McLuhan for dumb cynics
>>
>>9870103
mcluhan is wiener for turbo plebs who dont know better
>>
>>9870152
Hey man, what's the Situation?
>>
yes selfies with freudian dongles. near hot chicks mouths
>>
>>9870103
>Media is the message

Literally just repackaging what Aristotle said millennia ago for plebs who didn't start with the Greeks.
>>
Letting them vote was literally like letting adolescents vote
>>
>>9870251
>women utterly BTFO

They should return to the kitchen where they belong
>>
this is a lowkey /pol/ bait thread
>>
File: Jean Baudillard.png (915KB, 581x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Jean Baudillard.png
915KB, 581x1100px
>>9870081
Didn't understand any of this but posted it on my facebook so everyone knows I'm a true intellectual.
>>
How can the society of the spectacle even dominate individual life like nigga close your eyes haha
>>
File: vote.png (40KB, 1227x271px) Image search: [Google]
vote.png
40KB, 1227x271px
>>9870260
>>
the spectacle that can be spoken of is not the true spectacle
>>
brunette is the smartest. actually eats the food and not take pictures with it.
>>
very misogynistic thread
>>
>>9870394
>women think they can recover from this

They need to breed white children and otherwise just shut the fuck up instead of talking about bags and shoes.
>>
>>9870255
How can one person be this deluded? You're like a living, breathing /pol/ meme.
>>
Me on bottom right
>>
>>9870775
Not an argument
>>
>>9870769
That's because women are stupid so we can't help it.
>>
>>9870255
>>9870834
Is your first post somehow an argument? I'm pretty certain this is bait but if you actually think that I want to know why
>>
>>9870064

Weren't they there for charity and by taking pictures of the, admittedly, silly stuff that they were doing they were raising awareness?
>>
>>9870965
do you really think frogmen would do that?
>>
somebody post the webm with the commentator talking shit
>>
>>9870434
That's what I thought too, she is the ultimate realist.

>own food
>eat it
>>
>>9870979

What? Be retarded? I think you're doing a disservice to retards by equating them with these baboons.
>>
>>9870981
Found it on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/ngt1JK3DyOU
>>
>>9871014
Who watches an entire baseball game without taking a break?
>>
>>9871048
So they're all taking a break simultaneously, and all doing the exact same thing by some crazy coincidence? Or are they just mindless drones who are glued at their phone constantly, trying to project an image to strangers online while being completely oblivious to the world around them and to themselves?
>>
>>9871082
Have you never been with a group of people in a social setting? Some of them probably decided to take a photo and the others decided to follow and they shared them with their other friends so they can share an experience together. You sound like a fucking sperg.
>>
>>9871091
The point
Your head
>>
>>9871014
based announcers
>>
>>9871091

I was born in the 80s and until camera phones and facebook were invented nobody felt the need to "share experiences" online. People took photos for their own personal albums, or to share with close friends and family. Sharing personal photos with 500+ acquaintances would have been an act of lunacy.
>>
>>9870064
why all of them are fat?
>>
File: molyneux.jpg (163KB, 736x916px) Image search: [Google]
molyneux.jpg
163KB, 736x916px
>>9870957
>>
>>9871091
They are doing everything BUT share an experience together.
>>
>>9871136

They're thin/average by American standards.
>>
>>9871082
>or are they just mindless drones who are glued at their phone constantly
yes, see what happens when one of them goes into shock- their natural proclivity now is just to take out their phone and check twitter or whatever the fuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77rKQVZTtFk
there was a video a week or so ago where a girl was streaming on instagram or something while she was driving, crashed the car and killed her younger sister then runs over to her corpse while still streaming the whole thing
>>
>>9871355
found it http://radaronline.com/videos/teen-livestreams-sister-death-instagram-car-crash/
>>
>>9871251
that's pretty sad given the fact they are really on weight
>>
>>9870340
That picture makes me nauseous
>>
>>9871130

Comms became to easy to control. Only a few BIG ISPs, wireless carriers, phone manufacturers etc.

We've been plugged in and wished well. It's a matter of perspective really. Look at a crowd attached to their phones, then look at the casual polite conversation that used to take place on trains and diners and such back in the 60s-80s...
>>
File: 565433535.jpg (123KB, 640x635px) Image search: [Google]
565433535.jpg
123KB, 640x635px
>>9870957
Ignore the troll.
>>9871091
The motive cannot be to "share an experience". How can an experience be shared, when an experience can only be experienced? The only people you can possibly “share” an experience with are those immediately around you. Not the online personas of people on your phone. When you capture an experience, it becomes a representation of the experience. When you share that representation, it becomes spectacular. Social media has amplified the spectacle to the point that it distances people. They become infatuated with their online persona, and addicted to the buzz they get when it interacts with other online personas. One of the weirdest feelings is to look around a room and realize that every single person has their eyes glued to their phone.
>>
File: IMG_1895.jpg (40KB, 714x266px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1895.jpg
40KB, 714x266px
No, this is.
>>
desu I believe this was at a "selfie" themed night at a baseball game
>>
>>9870381
Nice
>>
>>9871569
The worst is with young children that grew up with smartphones and never knew a world without them. They're not trying to refrain slightly from looking at it, or trying to "get back to reality" like adults still do. They have their nose on the screen, completely hypnotized, not even looking one second elsewhere while walking, not saying good morning when their parents do, etc. They are literal slaves to the machines.

I saw this several times in different regions. Add a pair of headphones and it's the full autist show.
>>
File: 1502314719366.jpg (87KB, 450x461px) Image search: [Google]
1502314719366.jpg
87KB, 450x461px
>>9870064
based
>>
>>9870255
This poster is a jew trying to make antosemitism seem retarded. He's sitting in his rabbi hut curling his bangs right now.
>>
This is /lit/ super wall.
█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█
██████████████████████████████████████████████
█████▀█░████████▀███▀░░▀█░███░░▀███▀░░░▀█▀░░▀█
████░██░███████░████░██░█░█████░███░█████░██░█
███░███░░░████░█████░░░▄█░████░████░██░░█░██░█
██░████░██░██░██████░████░███░█████░███░█░██░█
█▄█████░░░▄█▄███████░████░░░█▄░░███▄░░░▄█▄░░▄█
██████████████████████████████████████████████
Help put up a wall around /lit/ to keep /b/ out.
>>
>>9870064
this post itself, and the whole thread for that matter are what Debord meant by ''spectacle'''
>>
>>9870265
There is hardly a thread on the chan that isn't anymore.
>>
>>9870081
>relationshits

Found the virgin
>>
>>9871683
Stop samefagging so hard.
>>
File: 1480983429254.webm (3MB, 800x332px) Image search: [Google]
1480983429254.webm
3MB, 800x332px
>>
>>9870255
You mean without written language
>>
>>9870965
Yeah otherwise very convenient timing of all these women taking selfies at exactly the same time
>>
>>9871091
More like 'probably' they were doing what was on the fucking screen which is taking an ultimate fan photo for some competition
>>
>>9870064
yes
also related: Preliminary Materials for a Theory of the Young-girl
the young girl is the spectacle manifest
>>
>>9870077
Spectacle is inherently tied to modern conditions of production. Literally read the first line in Society of the Spectacle.
>>
>>9871617
I wonder what will happen in 20-30 years when those children grow up and become the backbone of our society. Social media, video games and other sorts of cheap entertainment will have made a generation of literal autists with severe physical deformations.
>>
>>9871680
most qt out of the group imo
>>
File: 1502107537563.png (248KB, 564x480px) Image search: [Google]
1502107537563.png
248KB, 564x480px
>>9870255
>>
>>9870064

Is this thread a layered spectacle then? We are relating to these people through their imagery of themselves. Truly dark times
>>
>>9871091
>share an experience together
Why?
Just experience the fucking experience, take maybe one photo.
What they're doing is not experiencing the game, just fixated on getting the right picture.
>>
Refuse to watch mayweather v mcgregor on account of not being a part of a spectacle
>>
>>9871556
Kate, you mean 'nauseated'.
>>
>>9871917
how is this related to this thread?
and what movie is it?
>>
>>9872816
There's enough information in the clip to find out for yourself, assuming you know who Keanu Reeves is.
>>
>>9872823
I've always thought that he is an actor :^)
>>
>>9870255
I'm curious to hear your argument for how there'd be no internet if jews didn't exist.
>>
>>9872484
yeah bro, the fact that they make up 11.6% of billionaires even though only 0.2% of the world's population is jewish could only means a chaos of independent actors working for their own interests. i'm sure there's no collusion at all taking place, that's just a silly conspiracy theory
>>
>>9872954
If you want to go that way... White people are less than 20% of the world's population but represent almost 100% of the world's billionaires. Looks like a white conspiracy to me.
>>
>>9872823
Is It The Matrix
>>
File: not true, by the way.jpg (3KB, 142x25px) Image search: [Google]
not true, by the way.jpg
3KB, 142x25px
>>9872985
>White people are less than 20% of the world's population but represent almost 100% of the world's billionaires
>>
>>9872996
No time to make autistic stats of the world's billionaires, but it's maybe like 80%? For only 17% of the world's population? Conspiracy.
>>
Can someone explain the Spectacle theory in a simple af way? Im watching 'the society of the spectacle' and this shit is blowing my mind. Going to have to watch it at least 3 times to fully grasp the more intricate concepts of it all. Ps, i know its perceived to be more of truth and observational fact than a 'theory' but technically yes, it is a theory. And I have no problem admitting I dont fully grasp IT ALL, since im not a pseudo intellectual like half the cucks on here.
>>
>>9873068
https://hyperallergic.com/313435/an-illustrated-guide-to-guy-debords-the-society-of-the-spectacle/
maybe this will help
>>
>>9873068
I turned off the documentart because of how badly done the subtitles were (one phrase at a time instead of complete sentences), which made it even harder to follow. I'm just going to read the book instead.
>>
>>9870064

Are women evil?
Asking seriously.
There is absolutely nothing appealing about this picture and let's get real this picture is not an aberration.
>>
>>9873082
Legend. Thanks dude
>>
>>9871617

There is something really disturbing about how young kids interact with social media.

I was babysitting my sister's brood last weekend and my niece (3rd grade) was sitting on the couch watching youtube on the TV.

She was subscribed to another young girl who makes "horror" videos. She does challenges like saying Bloody Mary in the mirror, stuff a lot of us can probably remember doing, except she's been prompted by her parents or whatever to script the whole thing and there isn't an ounce of horror in any of it.
In fact it's entirely absurd because she pretends to be afraid and then in the middle of the whole ordeal suddenly starts reminding the viewer to subscribe and like. It's defies all human emotion and the rules of make believe, it doesn't even make sense.

The worst one I saw, the set-up was that "ghost girl" was going to snapchat her at 3 AM.
It happened and she pretended to be afraid while looking at her phone and the ghost girl just sitting there on the other end in a normal looking room. Melodramatic doesn't even begin to describe it.

Maybe I'm making too much out of nothing but I literally think this kind of contextualization (or lack of) is somehow destructive. If I was smarter I would be able to articulate why but there's definitely something very wrong with it.
>>
>>9871082

In some sense you can't blame them since the ability to project an image like this has never been felt with such power.
It's essentially a direct manifestation of the will. These whores are black holes that will engulf everything.
>>
File: wojack 2.png (6KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
wojack 2.png
6KB, 267x189px
>>9871091
>sending a photo of something to someone is equivalent to them being there and "sharing the experience"
This ride, I want off it
>>
>>9873183
I get what you're saying and completely agree
>>
File: 1499721161064.gif (2MB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
1499721161064.gif
2MB, 440x440px
>>9871617
>>9871617
What is exactly the problem, again?
>>
>>9873183
It's destructive because it is - as Baudrillard would say - a simulacra. A simulacra represents nothing but its own image, it has no superior meaning, no other idea behind it. When that bitch reminds you to suscribe to her channel in the midst of what is supposed to be a frightful moment, you're actually reminded that you're only watching a spectacle, some mindless entertainment.
>>
>>9873183
Link to those videos?
>>
>>9873298

That doesn't quite get at what I was thinking though.
Mindless entertainment is one thing. I'm saying I think she doesn't have the ability to discern between drama and the most abject of melodrama.
Even a child should be able to notice the inconsistencies of a "terrified" person shouting at the conveniently present camera to subscribe and like, because presumably terror is a universal human emotion and any child can consult their experience of it and compare that to what they are seeing represented to them on a screen. But that doesn't appear to be happening.
>>
>>9873308

Here's the Ghost Girl Facetime one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zprAcCYrrT8 [Embed]
Look I get that these things are obviously intended for children but keep in mind that she was watching this on a 72 inch high definition screen with the volume blasted up to max. I wonder if the level of power at which we project images has outpaced our young's ability to appropriately differentiate quality and non-quality, realistic and absurd, content. They just seem to assume that image is content.
Also she put it on specifically to show it to me because she was convinced that it was worth sharing and insisted that I watch like 4 of them before I finally told her we were going outside.
>>
File: Capture.png (45KB, 393x105px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
45KB, 393x105px
>>9873345
I really don't know what to make of this.
>>
>>9873364

I'm watching it again now and I just noticed that trap beat that randomly drops in while she is incoherently shrieking the set-up for the scenario.
Starting to think this has to be an elaborate meta-commentary on the failure of our society. The fucking trap drop, come the fuck on. There's no way. I don't say this often but I literally just even can't even
>>
>>9870394
Stupidest thing i ever read, and I hate women too. And look, in the very first line it says it was written by a women. Women even suck at hating women.
>>
>>9873387
How so?
>>
>>9873387

I'm pretty sure she cribbed the whole "the individual isn't the basic unit of society the family is" argument from the libertarian thread on mpc
>>
Itt: old man yells at cloud
>>
>>9873402

Itt: cartoon dog mutters "everything is fine" as house goes up in flames
>>
>>9871091
I was thinking of this last night. I've got a friend who used to be somewhat lost and without direction. Then for the past two years, he's been getting more social, made new friends, got laid with various girls after being a virgin, got into more activities and set up goals for himself.
I'm genuinely happy for him, I even asked him for some advice. But I really dislike the fact that he now posts practically all the highlights of his life on social media, for everyone to see.
Not long ago he told me he was gonna go fishing for a few days with some friends, that's pretty cool. Then later he posted the pictures online, selfies of them making faces and posing with the fishing rods. Why? What's the need? Isn't it enough to experience something good with friends without having to act like a clown for the world to see?
>>
>>9873332
Sounds like you just expect her to be a better actor.. the other guys point of it being a stupid pointless spectacle makes more sense to me as well.
>>
>>9871251
They're really not, any American guy would call em pudgy or fat (although the black-haired girl on the lower-right is actually an average weight if not thin)
>>
>>9873183
ON THE ONE HAND, you are completely right that this is terrifying and destructive, and stupider than what we've had before, most likely. On the other hand, you don't realize that television was reacted to in the same way, the birth and growth of the Internet is also as strange to older people, etc., etc. We're not so innocent ourselves.
>>
File: pHZ1dz4[1].jpg (33KB, 696x423px) Image search: [Google]
pHZ1dz4[1].jpg
33KB, 696x423px
>>9873402
>>
>>9871578
>he doesn't want to be spectacular
Why settle for mediocrity?
>>
>>9873440

Dude you still don't get it.
You sound like you got memed about some book about "spectacle" and you're now trying to squeeze everything you see into your spoon-fed paradigm that was prepared for you.
It's not about the quality of the acting it's about inserting a massive disconnect between subject and object. The idea of merely spectacle fucking pales in comparison.
>>
>>9873465

That just reinforces my point because who among us would evaluate ourselves and say we're healthy.
>>
>>9873465

I'm not saying that we're healthy and they're sick, I'm saying that we're sick and they're getting even sicker, and that one day even our level of sickness will be an unattainable ideal.
>>
>>9873475
Its fake though. Shes acting and knows that it isnt real. As you said its clearly ochostrated by her parents. So how can you get a genuine reading of a human that isnt showing the usual signs of being able to identify with the 'terror shes going through' and her immediately being able to turn off the terror and ask for subscribers. ITS AN ACT. You cant give a psychological evaluation of a 9 year old based on an ACT. A SKIT. I 100% understand what you are saying, but I think this isn't the right example of putting across your point. You'd need to find a genuine scenario where a person switches their emotions on and off.
>>
>>9873470
>i can concive that someone will like poop in their coffee
woah, coprophopic much?
>>
>>9873497

It actually isn't an act, that's the whole point. It's a total delegitimization of act. In fact it's even worse because she doesn't even take the act seriously enough to know that she is delegitimizing it. I would call it a satire of some sort but it's more like post-satire of humanity itself.
You would have a point if she merely acted her entire scenario, and then at the end did a cut and asked for subscribers. But what she does is something new, what she does is ask for subscribes literally while she is acting her scenario in a way that undermines her own scenario and interferes with the possibility of authentic expression.
You are saying it's spectacle.
Actually the problem is that it isn't even spectacle, it's something even less.
Again I don't think you understand the issue.
>>
>>9873422
I mean people have been doing shit like this since the camera was available on the consumer market. Like, there are tons of pictures of my dad gooning it up with his friends on fishing trips. Though I guess the difference now is that everyone has a platform to broadcast stuff like that. On the upside, I think you're much less likely to be forced to look through someone's family photo album or slides of their vacation or whatever
>>
>>9871091
>>9871048
You sound like an ultra normie. People like you need to and will be culled.
>>
>>9873552
Taking a silly picture is not the same as this piece of shit culture where people whip out their phones to film their dead sister or boyfriend for Instagram as a first instinct, take pictures of everything they eat on a daily basis, and get 700 "likes" per day for posting their made-up face
>>
File: 538686868.jpg (176KB, 1027x1280px) Image search: [Google]
538686868.jpg
176KB, 1027x1280px
How do i escape the spectacle?
>>
>>9873780
just be yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aqGYYBwKbQ
>>
>>9873774
imo you're reaching quite a ways by saying that it's someone's first instinct to film their dead sister. You're taking a couple isolated incidents (which are broadly covered by the media because of how repugnant they are to our sensibilities) and acting like it's the rule for how people behave. Maybe I'm ignorant of what the social media landscape is like, because I deleted my facebook over five years ago and have never been involved in any of the other platforms, but among my irl friends none of them are glued to their phones, none of them take constant selfies or food pictures, none of them are livestreaming the tedious details of their daily lives. I'm not saying that our relationship to technology and media is healthy (it's not), but the "end of our humanity" type proclamations (which people have been making since the 40s, see Adorno) are overwrought and not helpful
>>
>>9873780
By enjoying millennia of pre-spectacle literature, art, music, etc.
>>
>>9873795
>"spontaneous expression"
>just parrots Debord
Is this the power of the situationist movement?
>>
>>9873068
From what I understood, the spectacle is basically the transformation of everyday life, expectations and experiences by post-WWII capitalism.
It's more than just advertisements and the media. Think of the false opposition between Clinton and Trump which both share 95% of their policies but pretend to fiercely disagree. Think of the transformation of cities and their heritage for touristic purposes.
Actually, I believe Mark Fisher's Capitalist Realism is basically an update of the SotS, despite the fact that he doesn't mention Debord in the book. So read this maybe, as Fisher is clearer than Debord (though SotS and the commentaries are still well worth reading)

Here is a relevant quote in CR that is about Stalin's White Sea Canal project
>Stalin seems to have been so intent on creating a highly visible symbol of development that he pushed and squeezed the project in ways that only retarded the development of the project...
>The canal was a triumph of publicity; but if half the care that went into the public relations campaign had been devoted to the work itself, there would have been far fewer victims and far more real developments -- and the project would have been a genuine tragedy, rather than a brutal farce in which real people were killed by pseudo-events
>>
>>9872816
Knock Knock
>>
>>9873193
But projecting your image in this way is completely sterile. Your image is neutralized, it just produces data on a server instead of giving you concrete advantages (not talking about the minority who earns income though it). Social media trick the will into persevering in a dead end. You get retweets instead of children, likes instead of glory.
>>
instagram was invented
to capitalize
on the free butts and boobieszizi
women were
programmed
to share with
the world

once upon a time
civilization saw that
a womenz buttz and boobz
were for husband
and that a girlz could not
share her buttz and boobz
with teh worldz
as her father owuld not
let her

dat was long agaoznz

lzozoo
>>
>>9874068
Hahahaha
>>
>>9873402
We're all riding the cloud (I'm currently typing this on my phone). It's just that abuse of social media is, literally, an illness that is not being fought.

Smartphones are breeding an entire generation of autists with the attention span of a fish and the self-importance, the vanity of a little princess; which wasn't the case with television, for example. Although it makes us more canny and more informed, the whole thing is destructive for society (people get more distant and harder to reach irl, social activities become a rare thing, natural bonds are being neglected) and for themselves (insomnia, frustration, addiction...). It produces nothing. It is evil.

And yes, this post itself is also part of the problem, because you're reading this rant instead of doing meaningful things with your life. Do "meaningful things" still have a point in a world of zombies, by the way?
>>
>>9871878
Blame the current state of society.
>>
>>9874367
you sound extremely gay
>>
>>9874385
This site is for 18+ persons only.
>>
File: worthashtott.jpg (40KB, 238x297px) Image search: [Google]
worthashtott.jpg
40KB, 238x297px
>>9874317
Can you adopt a trip so I can filter you?
>>
>>9870394
>For example, a candidate can promise welfare to women only in exchange for their votes, and another candidate can promise men the opposite creating a sex war, and driving a wedge in your house

happens all the time
>>
>>9874317
underrated poem
>>
>>9874367
I mean >>9874385 has a point. Social activities are not a rare fucking thing you shut-in.
>>
>>9870103
Are they really similar thinkers? Did not read any of them.
>>
File: 1502066227372.jpg (79KB, 878x1158px) Image search: [Google]
1502066227372.jpg
79KB, 878x1158px
>>9874636
>nightclubs are closing
>shops are closing
>bars are closing
>museums are closing
>banks are closing
>arcades (the last of them) are closing
>newsdealers are closing
>theaters are closing
>provincial cities now have entire avenues with zero place open, zero person walking around, zero social activity (not the case 10 years ago)
>mfw my country is becoming a barren wasteland because everything gets done online

It's been a pandemic through the ten last years. But yeah, it's probably just an illusion, there is a rich social life behind these walls, people staring at their screens all day actually do stuff...
>>
>>9874611
Exactly.
>>
>>9874693
>I can only interact with others through the mediation of capital
No John, you are the spectacle

But in all seriousness where do you live? Around me there are plenty of bars and clubs, plenty of shops, plenty of museums. Only a couple of arcades and theaters, though, and the newsstand is on its way out as well but you can still find one if you look. Banks aren't going anywhere — and I'm perplexed that you'd call going to the bank a social activity.
>>
>>9874611
are you being facetious? because that does happen all the time indeed
>>
File: AKARI TIME.jpg (58KB, 514x524px) Image search: [Google]
AKARI TIME.jpg
58KB, 514x524px
>>9870340
But Akari is a cute!!!!!
>>
File: 1494264857370.jpg (211KB, 1272x1272px) Image search: [Google]
1494264857370.jpg
211KB, 1272x1272px
>>9874693

But on the plus side we have diversity now!
>>
>>9874747
I live here and there in Western Europe, in several countries, but I was describing the typical mid-size city in France.

Fresh example: on the French Riviera where I spend the summer, most nightclubs are gone (they started to close around 2010), except in major party hubs like Saint-Tropez. The whole business collapsed quickly. Smaller cities who formerly had two or three nightclubs now have zero. Where do people go? Are there private parties around? No idea. And the French Riviera is supposed to be a fun party place in this season...

Everything looks like this.

(Banking is a kind of social activity when you are rich... And I now have to go several cities away to see my banker, instead of walking five minutes like I did all my life until 2015. The bank closed down and the place now stays desperately empty.)

>>9874908
>I never eat kebab, but when I do, I think about the blessings Jupiter brought upon us
>>
>>9874747
And to stay within /lit/ limits, you know that Debord implies that life in its entirety is the spectacle, which is even more visible and true since the social media era: today, thanks to GAFA, people fabricate themselves the images to mediatize their own social relationships!
>>
>>9874908
except all those regional foods still exist, not replace. zero/sum is as stupid as you can get.
>>
>>9875094
>i am an hyper normie richfaggot AND a whiny bitch
go figures
>>
>>9875164
He can afford to be a whiny bitch though. I bet he can also afford to choose which type of women he gets to fuck.
>>
>>9875164
I don't even go to nightclubs, I just see them closing everywhere. Like a large number of small businesses in the "peripheral France". Why don't you read Christophe Guilluy?

>ur rich so shut the fuck up lol
Nice argument.

>>9875146
It's getting harder and harder to find a traditional French restaurant in France. Kebabs and burger joints are everywhere. The picture is barely an exaggeration.
>>
>>9875094
Northern Europe here, medium sized town. All the unique venues such as the local rock/metal club went out of business and now everything is literally a homogenized chain sports bar/restaurant.
>>
>>9870965
Does that awareness involve actual money being donated to people that perform actual research? If not, it's pointless and it's just bimbos taking selfies at some shitty sporting event.
>>
What if you use your portable screen to read books and shit?
>>
>>9875301
Yep, the more a country is developed, the more it starts looking like some open-air American mall...

>>9875324
It exists but it's marginal. And spending most of your day reading Dante Alighieri or Tolstoy, being so addicted to the books you're interrupting your meals and losing your sleep to check them, doesn't seem too healthy either.
>>
>>9875507
>being so addicted to the books you're interrupting your meals and losing your sleep to check them, doesn't seem too healthy either.
Worked out okay for Don Quixote
>>
>>9874367
You're 100% right. Ignore the clickbaity title here, this article is actually very insightful.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/has-the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/
>>
>>9870064
They were all asked to take a selfie by the announcer at this charitable sports event. This image got circulated because we all wanna hate women, especially young ones, and especially ones that display that they might like themselves

case in point >>9873119 "evil"
>>
>>9875968
Fair article. It is amusing to see how the author amplifies all my intuitions (based of a few minutes observing maybe five children) by quoting actual research.

Maybe I should care about The Atlantic again, after all...
>>
>>9876019
I my experience there is little correlation between selfie taking and feelings of self-worth in women. If anything, they may be negatively related.
>>
>>9876299
>article reads like a high school project
>an ad at the end for a book
oh wow the article amirite. wow buy the book haha
>>9875968
>>
Just popping in to say I'd fuck the moisture out of pinstripes there. Whew.
>>
>>9875094
>Are there private parties around?
Yes
>>
>>9876019
No I remember this game, the announcers were making fun of them because someone just made a big play and none of them even noticed.
>>
>>9876398
>article reads like a high school project
You sound underage, what's your high school, buddy?

>an ad at the end for a book
Like The Atlantic has been doing for the past 40 years. Why are you surprised?
>>
>>9875094
>they started to close around 2010
So around the same time as global financial instability, rise of police power, and austerity destroying the framework of society. Maybe if you spent less time on your phone you'd see some patterns here.
>>
>>9875968
> “We didn’t have a choice to know any life without iPads or iPhones. I think we like our phones more than we like actual people.”
Said no 13 old ever.
>>
>>9877961
You just went full retard. Protip: never go full retard.
>>
>>9877879
>threatened by an imagined underage highschooler on a screen
>cant control threat reflex to understand what sarcasm implies
>40 years
Thread posts: 163
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.