[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 45

File: Post Apoc.jpg (1MB, 3051x1528px) Image search: [Google]
Post Apoc.jpg
1MB, 3051x1528px
Post Apocalyptic Visions Edition.

>What Novel you read has the most realistic visions of the future?
>What's your favorite Post Apocalyptic Novel?

Fantasy
Selected:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg
Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previous Threads:
>>9864270
>>9858262
>>9844642
>>9832837
>>9819556
>>9809824
>>
File: 15021878990941[1].jpg (454KB, 570x899px) Image search: [Google]
15021878990941[1].jpg
454KB, 570x899px
Did you ever regret about your physical book collection that you spent so many money on? Did you ever think something like 'i should have read only e-books from the beginning'?
>>
>>9869695
No, not once. I've thought that about a few things, mostly pokemon and yugioh cards, but never books.
>>
>Coldfire trilogy book 2
This ends in cat-fucking, doesn't it
>>
>>9869717
I am all ears.
>>
>>9869695
I've only ever bought like 4 physical books, but yeah I regret not just doing e-books from the start
>>
File: auteur-celia-s-friedman.jpg (56KB, 288x374px) Image search: [Google]
auteur-celia-s-friedman.jpg
56KB, 288x374px
>>9869717
oi, what the fuck
>>
>>9869761
Are you a jew?
>>
>>9869770
n
just a broke ass nigga who is effective at reading e-books
>>
>>9869681
I count 3 Gene Wolfes, can anyone find more?
>>
So will The Magicians sequels be just as full of cheating and shittyness as the first book?
>>
>>9868348
Anime has a lot of recognizable tropes and traits that people reference when they call something anime.

Two men flying around in a giant storm while fighting each other with giant gem fueled swords is something you'll think came from an anime if you never read Words of Radiance due to how over the top it sounds.
>>
File: dad-jokes-star-trek.gif (998KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
dad-jokes-star-trek.gif
998KB, 300x300px
>going through Lovecraft chronologically
>even collaborations
>Medusa's Coil
>heard it was the worst
>one twist ending after the other

>he killed her!
>NO, she killed him!
>she's a witch!
>kill her
>fuck, her hair's the witch!
>burn it
>imma burn it all
>or not
>oh shit, the story is real!
>kill her! again!
>you fool, you unkilled her!
>shit, everything is on fire!
>run!
>it was a ghost the whooole time
>or WAS it?
>but worst of all...
>from the very beginning, she has always been...
>a black woman!
>dun DUN DUUUUN!

Oh Howard. You racist fuck. Never change.
>>
>>9869681
Station eleven desu
>>
File: porphyry.jpg (179KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
porphyry.jpg
179KB, 768x768px
>>9869962
Just skip to his mid-late 1920s period already; Pickman's Model, Dunwich Horror, The Colour Out Of Space, The Call Of Cthulhu. All 1926-28; he was on fire then. Afterwards he is often too ponderous, long-winded and self-aware.
>>
>>9869681
>What's your favorite Post Apocalyptic Novel?
Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde
>>
Since there's no historical fiction general, and I've gotten good recs in this genre here before, I'm gonna ask here: Any good books about the golden age of piracy, Nassau Republic etc.?
>>
File: c26.png (223KB, 404x507px) Image search: [Google]
c26.png
223KB, 404x507px
>>9870022
Nah, next is Whisperer in the Darkness, Mountains of Madness and Shadow over Innsmouth.

I'm dedicated to get through all of it, while following the HPPodcraft for bants.
It's my summer project.
Next I'm gonna attack the related stuff like The King in Yellow, Great God Pan and the like.
>>
>>9870118
I would argue Shadow over Innsmouth is his best, coming from someone who's read it all.
>>
>>9869931
The second and third are more standard YAish fantasy. They involve personal issues, but the focus is a lot more on a magical journey / coming to power (in the second) and redemption / aging / coming to terms (in the third), not the crappy young people from the first book.

The first is the most ambitious and interesting.
>>
File: 26_365_by_spiralhorizon-d8fhdet.jpg (97KB, 792x792px) Image search: [Google]
26_365_by_spiralhorizon-d8fhdet.jpg
97KB, 792x792px
>>9869681
>>
>>9870124
This. But the Dreamlands stuff is underrated as well.
>>
>>9870165
Yes, also The Re-Animator is surprisingly good considering how different it is from his other works.
>>
>>9870124
I still find myself going back to CoC again and again. (Pun intended)
Muh layers any layers of storytelling are fun as hell. I feel more involved as a reader than in any of his other stuff.
>tfw I've been eyeing the Angell Box at the HPLHS but am poor af
>>9870165
Same. I even enjoyed The White Ship. Comfy af.
>>9870175
Apparently he was just having fun with that and thought of it as comedy. Re-reading it as such, I saw the (morbid) humor.

I'm just happy he left NYC when he did. His racism was getting a little out of hand.
>>
>>9870197
Just looked up what the Angell box was and it seems pretty cool, if I was a rich man I'd probably get it.
Been a while since I read CoC what's up with "Diary" being written in Swedish on one of the books?
>>
>>9870240
The captain in the last arc (the one who ran over big C) was Norwegian.
But I think in the story he actually wrote the diary in English, which is why his widow couldn't read it, but the protagonist could.
>>
File: HP Feelcraft.png (73KB, 342x427px) Image search: [Google]
HP Feelcraft.png
73KB, 342x427px
>>9870197
>His racism was getting a little out of hand.
Nonsense, can never have too much of it.
>>
>>9870124

I think Mountains of Madness is my favorite, but Innsmouth is a close second. The Rats in the Walls and Dreams in the Witch House are probably my favorite short stories, with the Lurking Fear and the Shunned House as my favorite underrated Lovecraft stories.

Red Hook is best racist story, Arthur Jermyn is second
>>
>>9870197
>I'm just happy he left NYC when he did. His racism was getting a little out of hand.
Imagine what he'd think of modern New England.
>>
File: 1500497193006.png (8KB, 494x376px) Image search: [Google]
1500497193006.png
8KB, 494x376px
>>9869717
Kindly delete this with immediacy.
>>
File: age of myth.jpg (53KB, 279x500px) Image search: [Google]
age of myth.jpg
53KB, 279x500px
So I picked this book up on a whim because the description interested me (humans vs gods) and it was actually really fucking good and felt like a strong classic fantasy book from a few decades ago. Which might be accurate because the author says in the foreword he wrote the entire book series already and is just publishing them now. Definitely going to get the next one.
>>
>>9870316
Red Hook was a mess. His stories were slowly turning into excuses to call race war.
>>9870365
Bruh, luckily he never visited England. Even in his time, I think he'd been crushed by the realization that his paradise was just as shit as everywhere else.
>>
>>9869962
>her hair is the witch
>black woman

He was on to something
>>
>>9870197
>CoC
>Clash of Clans
Please this is /lit/
>>
>>9870653
Corruption of Champions is pretty darn /lit/.
>>
>>9870653
>CoC
>not the other... g a m e
oh you sweet innocent soul
>>
>>9870089
The Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodard
>>
What is mythic fantasy?
>>
should I read game of thrones?
is it worth it even I already seen the whole tv series?
>>
>>9871110
It's even better if you already watched it
>>
>>9871110
It will seem brilliant by comparison by the time you get to the second book. But it will never be finished so you'll just be stuck with the shows dumb explanations.
>>
>>9870118
>>9870124
>>9870165
>>9870175

A lot of Lovecraft's stories and deities are inspired by dreams, which he recorded in notebooks. Nyarlothotep, for example, who is a very intriguing figure. This, and Lovecraft's wider prescience and eery subtextual content have made me question whether Lovecraft was receiving information about hidden realities and revealing them unconsciously in his writing; particularly after hearing Peter Levenda's speculations on this topic, which links Call Of Cthulhu with Aleister Crowley. Note also the recurring 'gate' motif that pops up across his fiction, one that should not be opened or crossed; in Dunwich Horror, and the 'forbidden gate' at the end of Pickman's Model.

If you are the kind of reader who believes PKD had a genuine theophany, then it's possible that Lovecraft was also receiving hidden knowledge from a hidden source i.e. 'beyond the gate' of human perception, and transposed these into his fiction by analogy, deliberately or otherwise. Lovecraft as a reluctant prophet.

The topic of these truths; the possibility of pre-glacial civilisation and ancient astronauts as in At The Mountains Of Madness; extraterrestrial gods having intercourse with humans (Yog-Sogot an analogy of the Nephilim.) I'm still not sure about Nyarlathotep and what exactly he is an emblem of, but his eponymous story has the ring of truth, now, that it didn't have when I encountered it ten years ago. Then there is this pervasive gate motif/metaphor. There's a lot going on under the surface of these stories, enough to make me suspect he may be a secret occultist or an unknowing prophet.
>>
>>9871183
The dreamlands are real my friend
>>
>>9871221
Yes, I didn't even mention those. I've read a number of Lovecraft's contemporaries, who write of similar themes (Clark Ashton, Robert Howard, C.L. Moore) and none have the niggling quality of evoking a feeling that there is a greater truth is being revealed by clandestine means.
>>
>>9871183
Actually Lovecraft "stole" most of his more concrete figures and themes from elsewhere.
Mainly from Dunsany, one of the two main influences (the other being Poe).
Nyarlothotep, i.e., was most likely inspired by Dunsany's false prophet Alhireth-Hotep.

As for the more occult stuff. Lovecraft had a large array of weird books. There was this one (I forget the name) by a later discredited occultist woman, who posited all cults and religions had a common source. Lovecraft certainly used this and I believe Crowley did as well.

Don't get too excited, m8. Lovecraft had some fun stuff to write, but it was all quite natural.
He just used his talent to write like an antiquarian (which he learned as an auto-didactic child) to create very realistic prose.
In one letter he wrote, that to pull your readers in, you must construct your literature like a con artist. And that is what he did. That's why he wove the fake shit with real historical events. It was all very deliberate.
>>
>>9871235
...That was on purpose. You realize that he actively encouraged others to use and add to his mythos, right?
Smith the like were all younger authors whom he encouraged and mentored.
>>
>>9871264
>>9871270
Yes, Lovecraft was familiar with Margarat Murray and Helene Blavatsky - Murray of the idea that pagan Europe had an organised religion of 'witches' which was crushed by the Romans and medieval Christians. Blavatsky, the idea of pre-glacial civilisations of Lemuria etc, and Theosophy. I concede that Lovecraft's familiarity and synthesizing of actual esoteric texts could be what is activating my almonds so much; the reference to Theosophy in the first paragraph of Call Of Cthulhu for example.

In any case it is interesting that a sceptic atheist is very interested in occult knowledge, conspiracy theories, and a devotee of recording his dream visions. I'm still keeping a beady eye on Lovecraft's shenanigans.
>>
>>9870497
It'd be like all the Chinese/Japanese people going to Paris and getting destroyed by all the angry French waiters who have no truck for romantic tourists.

Which is to say, hilarious.
>>
>>9871235
I began inducing lucid dreams, which began inducing night terrors and sleep paralysis. All with the hopes of seeing the dreamlands. No cigar. But it's weird out there.
>>
>>9871351
I have wondered if Lovecraft was a lowkey astral traveler. He knew about theosophy and the witch-cult hypothosis. I'm just not sure it was a known thing in the 1920s-30s. So much of his stories are from dreams as his letters attest.
>>
>>9871329
>In any case it is interesting that a sceptic atheist is very interested in occult knowledge, conspiracy theories, and a devotee of recording his dream visions.
It was more an antiquity thing to him. As a child he was into Greek pagan shit, because his Grandfather unironically made him start with The Greeks.
Later, with his anglophile tendencies (and his family becoming poor) he became obsessed with lineage. Which in turn made him dig cultures he deemed "of high stock".

Keep in mind that none of his stories (or very very few) are "super-natural" per-se. They're more horror-sci-fi. That's also perfectly summarized in the intro of Call of Cthulhu. There is a reason he constantly referred to Einstein in his early works. It's not super-natural, it's just... different.

But I understand what you mean with the dreams. Most people don't like his dream cycle, but I do.
Tho I feel that in his letters he may have strongly overstated just how detailed/vivid his dreams really were.
But even in those he's just having fun. In the Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, he has fucking warrior cats. With a military and ranks and everything. Which is cool and all, but a bit silly. I know he adored cats, but come on.
>>
File: 1411667561418.png (373KB, 830x974px) Image search: [Google]
1411667561418.png
373KB, 830x974px
>>9871329
>the idea that pagan Europe had an organised religion of 'witches' which was crushed by the Romans and medieval Christians.

WE
>>
>>9871347
Had he ever taken one step outside of London,he might have literally fainted at the "decadent" dialects.
>>
File: 2303192-lovecraft no hope.jpg (25KB, 295x454px) Image search: [Google]
2303192-lovecraft no hope.jpg
25KB, 295x454px
>>9871402
>Oi dere Howie 'ow's yer mum
>mfw
>>
File: 1501788738874.jpg (36KB, 317x416px) Image search: [Google]
1501788738874.jpg
36KB, 317x416px
>>9871392
>Ywn have a black cat named Nigger Man
>>
>>9871424
When he left NYC he toned it down.
Then it was only Nig.
>>
>>9871392
>>9871392
The dreamlands stuff is certainly not as well appreciated as his mythos cycle. As a reader much of his mythos stories are ponderous, where his dreamlands material, I am thinking of (Celephais, Quest Of Iranon, Cats Of Ulthar, Hypno, The Other Gods) is very pleasant in a whimsical way. They at least show that HP could have a more picturesque touch. Kadath is one of the few I haven't read - it doesn't seem like something to enter into lightly. Ditto most of the Randolph Carter stories, Silver Key et al, possibly too baroque and ethereal for my liking.
>>
File: banner_lovecraft.jpg (76KB, 615x461px) Image search: [Google]
banner_lovecraft.jpg
76KB, 615x461px
>>9871402
>>9871414

Still preferable to a pack of filthy Dutch degenerates
>>
>>9871443
>There are two things in this world I hate. People that disrespect other peoples' cultures, and the Dutch
-Howard Philips Lovecraft
>>
>>9871443
Let's be honest. Anything that wasn't either high-born Anglo-Saxon or had a direct bloodline to the fucking Mayflower was degenerate to him.
He hated all races equally.
(Until he actually got to know them well. Then he married them.)
>>
Lovecraft was apparently so racist he caused Robert E. Howard to moderate his views on blacks.
>>
>>9871468
>(Until he actually got to know them well. Then he married them.)
That's usually how racism works.
>>
>>9871488
Lovecraft was so racist, his ex went on to date a black dude.
>>
>>9871498
No, not always.
I can live with his racism, since it's the ignorant weird uncle kinda racism.
>>
>>9871507
>I can live with his racism
Good, I would hate for you to be moved to violence against this dead man.
>>
I'm really tired of everyone and their mother being able to raise an eyebrow in contemporary fantasy.
>>
>>9869695
Haha! I haven't bought a book to read since hisghschool, ten years ago. The only books I buy are ones where I want the author to get some fraction of my shekels, or I want to have around the house so I can borrow to other people or reread when I'm away from all eletronics. Even my college books were all pirated ebooks.
>>
I'm reading the foundation series. When does it get good?
>>
>>9871686
Is that some sort of tortured metaphor?
>>
>>9871686
You can't raise your eyebrows?
wat
>>
>>9871799
Not eyebrows, an eyebrow.
>>
>>9871804
motherfucker i got news for you, everyone can raise an eyebrow
>>
>>9871500
Please anon. I'm trying not to fap here.
>>
>>9871715
It gets worse after first book
>>
>reading the iron druid books
>American gods meets Naruto
>mostly enjoyable enough
>in the later books a female character gets more prominence
>suddenly everything a male does towards her is somehow a misogynistic aggression against her
>Her reaction is either to attack them in some way, or at least be super fucking angry and WANTING to attack them in some way
>this is supposed to be justified and right
For fucks sake. How do people deal with this shit? And it's CONSTANTLY going on. I thought about making this post and then went "fuck it, lets just go to bed and read the next chapter" whch literally started with her being on a ferry with a dog, which a bunch of old ladies liked and petted but then a german MALE came along who "only used the hound as an excuse to talk/flirt" to her and that made her feel justified in having the giant fucking wolfhound bark and jump at him (although not bite) How DARE he try to talk to an attractive girl. It's not like that's how the HUMAN FUCKING RACE needs to work in order to survive.
And don't get me wrong. I'm all for a good "absolute sleezebag gets his comeuppance" scene. But fucking hell, EVERY male that even slightly slights her and it's like FUCKING MISOGYNIST PIG
>>
>>9871804
I can rise both of them individually
>>
>>9871866
Female characters are just shit all around. They're only used for virtue signaling and to try to get female readers. Oh, and for author fantasies.
>>
>>9871940
You need to read better books.
>>
>>9871945
This is /sffg/, anon.
>>
>>9871950
>muh true literature
>>
>>9871866
Don't forget her poetic pretentious way of writing when it's her POV? Flowery prose up the ass. The prose annoys me more than the feminist shit.
>>
>>9871866
You're a male, you just won't get it
>>
>>9872066
I'm not going to pick up a book that retarded looking even if I was male.
>>
I'd like to personally thank the anons who had such a constructive and thoughtful conversation about lovecraft

Rest of u wanks take notes
>>
>>9871715
It won't get better.
>>
File: For steam and country.jpg (368KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
For steam and country.jpg
368KB, 800x800px
I'm sifting the Dragon Award nominees and trying to pick out some I haven't read yet to try to get through before the voting ends.

Reading Del Arroz's For Steam and Country now and trying to spot the highlights and low spots in the rest of the ballot.
>>
>>9872225
2nd
>>
>>9871110
I'd actually wait until all the books are released. I will have to reread by the time WoW comes because I read them several years ago.
>>
Is Sanderson really worth reading, or should I just try Bakker instead? I read the first several chapters of Way of Kings and it felt too anime and YA. Or does it get better?
>>
>>9872359
>Is Sanderson really worth reading
Not really. but since everyone does it's kinda hard to avoid. Outside 4chan you can't really criticize something you have not read so you have to read at least one book to have any ground to stand on when you refuse to read the rest.
>>
>>9872257
>Reading Del Arroz's For Steam and Country
Is it any good?
>>
File: neuro_gibson.png (204KB, 599x589px) Image search: [Google]
neuro_gibson.png
204KB, 599x589px
>>9869681
>>
>>9872359
>Is Sanderson really worth reading, or should I just try Bakker instead?
Those are almost polar opposites so that's a weird statement to make.
>>
>>9872406
I'm currently reading it. Like it so far. Would definitely watch an adaptation.
The authors introduction for the 20th anniversary edition is pretty interesting, with the author reflecting on the absence of mobile phones and stuff.
I guess I should have expected it, but I was still surprised about how much terminology this book has lent to cyberpunk, the Android Netrunner game in particular.
>>
>>9872406
I'm hesitantly looking forward to this
>>
>>9872359
>Is Sanderson really worth reading

I don't think so, I mean that's just my opinion but in fairness you did ask for it
>>
>>9872066
>you are sane you just won't get it

ftfy
>>
>>9872406
>>9872468
Many people have been trying to adapt it for the last 30 years. Guess the cough is a "I will believe when I see it" cough.

Would it even be interesting today? "Heist film but in cyberspace" seems dated for sci-fi. Just seems like heists are done in 2017.
>>
>>9872504
I knew a lot of 4chan was misogynistic chauvinists but really? /lit/?
>>
>>9872504
Ebin reddit spacing, upboated!
>>
>>9872545
>>9872551
>>>/tumblr/
Go back there, it's where you and your regressive thinking belongs.
>>
>>9872562
>ftfy
>ftfy
>ftfy
wtf I love typing like facebook now
>>
>>9872562
Deserving of reddit gold, sir!
>>
>>9872567
>>9872568
Nigger
>>
File: 1498142843344.jpg (569KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1498142843344.jpg
569KB, 1200x1200px
Curry
>>
>>9872359
I like Bakker and I don't like Sanderson
>>
I've never read Bakker but I think his books are shit.
Love Sanderson though
>>
>>9872225
It was pol wanking each other. Notice the "pro racism" talks.
>>
>>9872359
>it felt too anime and YA
That's exactly what it is and stays like it. If you're not a fan of that, then I would stay stop reading and move onto something else.
>>
>>9872390
It's the steampunk adventures of Baron Von Monocle's daughter. If you're not already put off, it's worth it.

If he'd been nominated for this instead of Rescue Run, which I still haven't read, I might be voting for him.
>>
>>9872359
Sanderson is family friendly, no cussing (that would offend people of earth), no rapes, there is killing but everything does that.

Bakker is not family friendly. There is rape, there is gay rape, there is incest rape. Penises are tools of destruction that seek out any hole, be it natural or not, to fuck. If you are weak of mind and resolve don't read it. It's filled with vulgarity and degeneracy. If you are not a true 4channer (aka a reddite/tumb moralfag) this book will offend you. And we don't want to read your "offended" post after you dropped the book.
>>
>>9872748
That's hilarious because Bakker is very popular on reddit following the release of TUC whereas /sffg/ hated the book despite loving the rest of the series.
>>
File: 1386891701577.jpg (28KB, 483x441px) Image search: [Google]
1386891701577.jpg
28KB, 483x441px
Who is the best GRI-approved author, lads?
>>
>>9872756
Breeks
>>
File: GRI APPROVED.png (61KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
GRI APPROVED.png
61KB, 800x600px
>>9872756
It depends on how much of the 3 are present. The ratio between G-R-I must be equal and present in a work. Some have GR, GI, IR, but few have GRI in one swoop.
>>
>>9872697
>not being racist
lol
>>
File: Hey Pol.jpg (1MB, 3192x2124px) Image search: [Google]
Hey Pol.jpg
1MB, 3192x2124px
>>9872781
I don't discriminate. I find all "races" vaginas equally appetizing to place my dick in. I would even fuck an abbo.
>>
>>9872781
>being unironically /r/the_donald
>>
>>9872798
>being racist means you can't apply benis wherever you want
Who told you this lie?

>>9872799
I thought they were a bunch a bunch of cowardly closet fascists
>>
>>9872756
>>9872775
So, Bakker
>>
>>9872798
>abbo
I'd go for horse pussy before touching an abbo. Jesus have you SEEN them?
>>
Are there are good novels focusing on shamanism and generally mystical and spiritual activities of the hero?
>>
>>9872752
>/sffg/ hated the book
I would say controversial. The only consensus that's near unanimous is that TUC should've just been in TGO.
>>
>>9872895
>The only consensus that's near unanimous is that TUC should've just been in TGO.
Hell, even Bakker thought that.
>>
>>9872829
Red rising had full ratio GRI.
>>
File: stack.jpg (2MB, 2264x3032px) Image search: [Google]
stack.jpg
2MB, 2264x3032px
r8 my recent acquisitions lads
>>
>>9872863
>Jesus have you SEEN them?
I wish I never had
>>
>>9873007
>No female authors
Also you got a book written by a "Gaylord"
>>
File: 1500973923833.png (62KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1500973923833.png
62KB, 657x527px
>>9873007
>Wolfe, Stephenson, Wells, Gibson

Good lad.

/sffg/ is proud of you
>>
File: odezhda_drevnih_grekov_4[1].jpg (49KB, 473x654px) Image search: [Google]
odezhda_drevnih_grekov_4[1].jpg
49KB, 473x654px
>>9872359
> anime and YA
YA?
>>
>>9872387
>>9872419
>>9872489
>>9872598
>>9872748
>>9872706

OK, the only reason I asked is because Sanderson does seem to get praised for his worldbuilding and le epic fantasy climaxes. Cos I finished with ASOIAF I want another engrossing fantasy series to get through (I haven't progressed beyond halfway of the third Malazon book), something with interesting settings, and magic. I was wondering in case Sanderson's Way of Kings series gets better, or is worth it for the worldbuilding.

But I like the sound of Bakker anyway, it's probably more my style.
>>
>>9873007
8/10
>>
>>9873029
young adult, like Twilight/Hunger Games/Harry Potter
>>
>>9873016
>No female authors
I have around 200 books in my home library and there are NO FEMALE AUTHORS HERE either.
>>
>>9872359
I think this is proof that people just call Sanderson anime to fit in here and don't actually know what they're talking about.
>>
>>9873073
That's actually kinda sad.
>>
>>9873073
You're really missing out on good some literature
>>
To the fellow who recommended The moon is a harsh mistress to me last weekend. Thank you, finished it to day, liked it very much.
>>
>>9873086
That guys liberal bullshit shit made me not want to read anything by him after I read A stranger In A strange land
>>
File: 1429555420922[1].png (479KB, 542x612px) Image search: [Google]
1429555420922[1].png
479KB, 542x612px
>>9873084
>>9873081
>>
>>9873096
Revisionist history is just as valid as any other kind of history
>>
>>9873095
The moon is a harsh mistress is the first book i read from him. Planing to read starship trooper next.
>>
>>9873095
>liberal bullshit shit
What? The standard gripe about Heinlein is he's too militaristic/libertarian
>>
>>9873111
>muh degeneracy
>>
>>9873095
Heinlein famously has wildly sporadic political themes across his books. Stranger in a strange Land embodies 70s countercultural movement. TMHM is a libertarian handbook. Starship troopers is half an essay about the merits of an authoritarian military state
>>
>>9873111
Heinlein is both extremely right and leftwing, at the same time. No one with any political opinions could possibly agree with him in whole. If you haven't read him, imagine free-love psychadelic hippy Nazis. A multicultural utopia where all races and sexes can fuck and smoke whatever they want, organized into a strict military hierarchy that rules with an iron fist and dedicated to genociding everyone and everything that disagrees with them.

It's the worst possible future for both sides!
>>
>>9873159
>left
When and where?
>>
>>9873166
In the rest of my post?
>>
>>9873073
>200 books
>this is considered "a lot"
Whatever excuses you can give to stop reading, you antintellectual sperging retard.
>>
>>9873007
>William Gibson
>Neal Stephenson
>I'm so proud not to have read female author squeeeeeeeeee~
Time to kill yourself and your absolute pleb taste because you are a womyn you closet retard.
>>
>>9873225
I've read plenty of female authors (when is Clarke going to write that book about the lower-class riffraff in the Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell world, reee) just not in this particular batch
>>
>>9873225
>hates Gibson
what are you fucking gay?
>>
File: 1501857901405.jpg (102KB, 605x1140px) Image search: [Google]
1501857901405.jpg
102KB, 605x1140px
>>9873081
Why? Women can't write.
>>
>>9873389
This is just lazy b8 at this point
>>
>>9872697
What's wrong with racism? You from tumblr or something?
>>
>Favourite Post-Apocalyptic Fiction:
The criminally underrated 'Ashes Ashes' ('Ravage') by René Barjavel. Pretty much a traditionalist view of the post-apocalyptic society.
>>
>>9873399
Is it still bait if I mean it? The only womanmeme authors who are worth anything are the ones with too much testosterone and they just write like mediocre men.
>>
>>9873426
What ones have you tried?
>>
>>9871974
I don't mind it so much that he changes that somewhat. If anything it just highlights that Atticus is supposed to be 2k years old and somehow he is literally just a millennial + Shakespeare.

>>9871940
>>9872066
I mean, I get that harassment is shitty and like I said, If some sleezy fucker goes to far I'm all for him learning a lesson. People who go past personal comfort can get fucked.
But she gets angry at literally. every. male and the constant "wanting to beat up guys who don't kiss girls feet is justified" goes on me nuts.

Like in the first series of Netflixes "Sense8" there is a GREAT part where the trans girl talks to her mom, and her mom keeps using her male name and doing the whole "It's a phase, If I don't love her and ignore her it'll go back to normal" and it's great because it is quite a strong point to be made.
But then there is ALSO a scene where her lesbian lovers friends ALL don't accept her because she is "just a male trying to get into our space"
But then there is ALSO a scene where she is a young boy and swimming with a shirt and the other boys put her under a shower with BOILING WATER to the point it almost fucking kill hims
And then there is ALSO... and I'm like WE GET IT, there is transphobia in the world and trans people can have it hard, but you brought it up so fucking much that it is now actively annoying and working against the one good point you've made.
>>
>>9873405
Please nobody take this low energy bait. You're just gonna get dragged into a discussion involving largely unaccredited and unsupported "academics" that they themselves haven't read. And make this thread even shittier.
>>
>>9873507
>If anything it just highlights that Atticus is supposed to be 2k years old and somehow he is literally just a millennial + Shakespeare.
Remember the language that you speak influences your thought patterns meme. He was undercover as a hippie for 30+ years (70 onwards) that type of shit affects you. He walled himself away from other supernats(other than the weres) so it's understandable if he has gone slightly native, ideology wise.
>>
File: Pol in SFFG.jpg (1MB, 1300x867px) Image search: [Google]
Pol in SFFG.jpg
1MB, 1300x867px
>>9873658
Pftt. Watch this.

>>9873405
Yo. Homie. pic related
>>
>>9873507
There is nothing wrong with "transphobia". Their existence is revolving around a lie which breaks social norms that necessitate a harsh reaction.
>>
>>9872905

It's original name The Horns of Golgotterath was also more fitting given how little the Consult featured, but that's also an editor issue.
>>
>>9871468

His philosophy is generally misunderstood. He didn't have anything personal against any particular ethnicity, it was the idea of forcing incompatible culture into social coexistence which he found repugnant because it inevitably alters the host culture, which he wanted preserved. He actually praised the Japs on several occasions and felt they should have a right to their own country as we should have the right to ours, that our culture would be as alien and repulsive to the Japanese as theirs was to Anglo-Americans.

His thoughts on Jews were that as long as their numbers were kept low, it didn't matter if they were absorbed into the country, but if they isolated themselves in positions of influence then they would cause problems, again by changing the host culture.

In his world view there was nothing contradictory about marrying a Jewess while believing that New York Jews were destroying the nation.
>>
>>9873681
Why do you have to whine about it so loudly and so often? You obviously have a mental illness.
>>
>>9873699
>In his world view there was nothing contradictory about marrying a Jewess while believing that New York Jews were destroying the nation.
"In his world view any hypocrisy was permitted as long as it could be rationalized."
>>
>>9873701
I do.
>>
>>9873701
Why do you?
>>
>>9873710
I don't. I'm not a transsexual or a sjw, I'm just tired of every thread on 4chan devolving into a meaningless argument about some people who are less than 1% of 1% of the population.
>>
>>9870489
I've been thinking of giving him a try. Anyone read his riyria revelations?
>>
>>9871866

All male advances on women are unwanted, aggressive, mental rape. Unless you are really good-looking and/or rich. Then it's ok.
>>
>>9872748
Sounds faggy and degenerate. No thanks.
>>
>>9873081

I have maybe a dozen female author of whom two are readable and none are good
>>
>>9872950
Also soon to have gender fluidity. Boy oh boy
>>
>>9873166

SIASL and Farnham's Freehold, at the very least. Honestly after dropping the latter I haven't touched a Heinlein book.
>>
>>9873007
You need to learn to think for yourself, kiddo
>>
>>9873706
>"In his world view any hypocrisy was permitted as long as it could be rationalized."

I explained thoroughly why it was not hypocritical. The Jewish problem, to him, was one of culture and not genetics. By marrying her he was actually helping his goal of integrating those Jews who were already most compatible with Anglo-American culture. He drew a clear distinction between Jews and Catholics (Poles, Irish, Italians), as being culturally incompatible in large numbers, and blacks or Asians as being genetically destructive. His main criticism of Hitler was that the paranoia about "semitic blood" was absurd.
>>
>>9873081
You don't belong here
>>
>>9873699
Link to that letter about the Japs?

No, I'm pretty sure he made it abundantly clear that he thought that ethnicities like black Africans/Afro-Americans, Philipinos, Eastern-Europeans, Eskimos/Mongols, Abos etc were degenerate races or at least lesser races. Not necessarily "evil" (See the nice black family in The Case of Charles Dexter Ward), just all round lesser.
We like to think that his use of phrases like Nigger was just a product of the time, but by then people were all using Colored.

And I'm not certain about the "alongside but separated" thing. He clearly fetishized the concept of invading empires. Prolly because of his boner for the Romans.

I'm interested what he actually though of Native Americans tho. Stories like The Mound make me think he may have been romanticizing them, perhaps influenced by the Mormons.
Does anyone know of a connection there?
>>
>>9873819
>His main criticism of Hitler was that the paranoia about "semitic blood" was absurd.
I don't know. The Temple seemed like satire over the German obsession of minute racial differences.
>>
>>9873203
What part more precisely? Doing whatever you want isn't a leftist idea.
>>
>>9870665
A guy on one of my college courses randomly recommended that game to me without telling me much about it. I never listened to any of his recommendations again.
>>
>>9871804
most people can raise one eyebrow at a time
>>
>>9871815
>>9874025
Bullshit. I just looked it up, the opposite is true.
>>
Is Sanderson's Cosmere worth jumping into? I enjoyed TWoK but it's a big commitment to start reading everything of his in order. Are the world jumping elements simple cameos or is the overarching story worth my time?
>>
>>9874044
source? i've always been able to do it, and i know a lot of people who can as well
>>
>>9873666
I know, I know but even then, there are moments where he goes "being raised on iron age morales" bla bla, but then a bit later "I don't like blood divinations, I don't like to kill" and other modern shit. It feels like one moment he wants to have it one way and then he wants to have it the other one.

and while I like "sassy dog" as a sidekick, the fact that he can talk to it is kinda bullshit. Don't get me wrong the Idea that it's a language barrier and he can "mental link" talk to him is a decent one, but the dog is WAY too fucking smart. Yes, mental talking to your dog is cool, but he still has a dog brain. even if you teach him english words there is no way he'd get above toddler level of talk. But this dog not only speaks english, He's watching fucking Films and memorized quotes and scenes from it.

That all being said, I'm still enjoying the series, particularly because I didn't know shit about irish mythology and gods before and it makes me read up on them a lot. (see new name in book, press on it on my kindle, read wiki about god, learn something)
>>
>>9873819
It's all just an excuse for being racist while being able to justify to yourself that you aren't.
>>
>Simply keep the bulk of all these approximately equal and highly developed races as far apart as possible. Let them study one another as deeply as possible, in the interest of that intellectual understanding which makes for appreciation and tolerance. But don’t let them mix too freely, lest the clash of deep and intellectually unreachable emotions upset all the appreciation and tolerance which mental understanding has produced. And above all, don’t get led off on a false trail through observing the easy comraderie of a few cosmopolitan intellectuals and aristocrats in whom similar manners or special interests have temporarily overridden the deep wells of natural feeling ineradicable from the bulk of each of the divergent race or culture groups represented. - HPL

Sigh, Lovecraft saw the SJWs coming 100 years ago, but no one wanted to tackle the problem when it was still small.
>>
>>9873867

Was that the submarine one? He was undeniably a cultural chauvinist and applied that chauvinism equally to all non-Anglos, viz WWI era Anglo stereotypes about Germans, depicting Catholics as superstitious peasants etc. His autism resulted in a very nuanced world view, however, which actually revolved around his aesthetic philosophy.

For example, he was an atheist and his work was often dark and pessimistic, but it's a mistake to take these facts as indicating secular nihilism. He believed that the Anglican Church was the perfect synthesis of the religious aesthetics of Catholicism with the logical and legalistic disdain for superstition of the Protestant sects, and due to an absolute relativist philosophy, felt that there was nothing irrational about simply choosing to be an Anglican despite lacking faith in a deity. He saw beauty as the one true good in the world, and darkness as compatible with beauty and the production of beautiful sensations, and saw his work as intended to impart his own impressions of the wonderous or awe-inspiring, which was no more or less legitimate than any other impression of beauty because of it's fictionality.

He died in 1937, when people still didn't know what to make of Hitler, and his impression was that Hitler was not particularly bright, but was an expression of legitimate concerns by the German people.
>>
>>9873850
>Only an ignorant dolt would attempt to call a Chinese gentleman — heir to one of the greatest artistic & philosophic traditions in the world — an “inferior” of any sort… & yet there are potent reasons, based on wide physical, mental, & cultural differences, why great numbers of the Chinese ought not to mix into the Caucasian fabric, or vice versa. It is not that one race is any better than any other, but that their whole respective heritages are so antipodal as to make harmonious adjustment impossible. Members of one race can fit into another only through the complete eradication of their own background-influences — & even then the adjustment will always remain uneasy & imperfect if the newcomer’s physical aspect forms a constant reminder of his outside origin.

I remembered Japanese but found this first. I don't really know how to cite a letter so I'll just link the article that discusses this subject, which I think is pretty well done.

>https://radishmag.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/cosmic-horror/#nordic-supremacy

I should note, I'm not really trying to say "he definitely wasn't an evil rayciss pls believe me", I'm a /pol/ack and have no moral outrage related to the subject. But his beliefs were not irrational or inconsistent, merely autistic.

Most of his fictional degenerates are not simply negros or Polynesians, they are mongrels in particular, because this is where a problem begins for him. The Innsmouth hybrids are the great and foremost example from his work of particular repugnance for crossbreeding. He differentiates, at least, in his letters between biological hierarchy and the need for cultural isolation as essentially unrelated.
>>
>>9874286
>His autism resulted in a very nuanced world view, however, which actually revolved around his aesthetic philosophy.
I wish people like Joshi wrote about him like this.
>>9874301
Thanks. Will check it out.

I've was really surprised that, despite all of this, he seems to have really hated the Republican party.
>"As for the Republicans -- how can one regard seriously a frightened, greedy, nostalgic huddle of tradesmen and lucky idlers who shut their eyes to history and science, steel their emotions against decent human sympathy, cling to sordid and provincial ideals exalting sheer acquisitiveness and condoning artificial hardship for the non-materially-shrewd, dwell smugly and sentimentally in a distorted dream-cosmos of outmoded phrases and principles and attitudes based on the bygone agricultural-handicraft world, and revel in (consciously or unconsciously) mendacious assumptions (such as the notion that real liberty is synonymous with the single detail of unrestricted economic license or that a rational planning of resource-distribution would contravene some vague and mystical 'American heritage'...) utterly contrary to fact and without the slightest foundation in human experience? Intellectually, the Republican idea deserves the tolerance and respect one gives to the dead."
Granted, the 20s Republicans were worlds away from those today. But still. They way he phrases this seems almost ironic.
>>
File: images.jpg (19KB, 312x507px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
19KB, 312x507px
just finished dune. holy shit. should i read messiah?
>>
File: 1501963257222[1].jpg (1022KB, 1144x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1501963257222[1].jpg
1022KB, 1144x2560px
>>9874351
Dune Messiah is one of the weaker books in the series, but there are still some good ones that come after it, so you might as well read it if you want to get to that stuff. God Emperor is a deeply weird book, but it's amazing in its own way.
>>
>>9874372
wow. perfect infographic. thanks based anon. which is your favorite in the series?
>>
Hey anons, I'm writing a book with an alien race that has a gender system totally apart from humanity. Should I still go for it, or is everyone still butthurt about the gender binary being bullshit
>>
>>9874471
Already exist. The left hand of darkness.
>>
>>9874471
>gender binary being bullshit
[citation needed]
>>
>>9874471
The concept is basic as fuck.
I hope you have an idea that will totally blow people's minds.
>>
>>9874471
I'm writing a book about a transracial asian genderfluid girl who murder white cis men (aka nazis) and helps black people learn maths in a fantasy setting. Do you think we could collaborate later?
>>
>>9874471
You're doing this in book form? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wvSkWrWLv4
>>
So I have been writing short stories from the perspective of a human ambassador to an alien race. He is part of the first team sent to work with this newly discovered race and is having to essentially rewrite the entire book on negotiating to try and cater to this new species.

I had a friend read one of the rough drafts for a short story, where the ambassador eats a meal with one of the creatures and he remarks several things about their specie's gender politics within their media (they had invented mass media and he viewed some of it with the creature).

My friend thought it would make a lot of people angry, basically 'piss of tumblr folks' was his thoughts. Should I be worried about poking the bear?

For reference the species in question has four distinct sexes:
Donor (2)
Carrier
Infertile

There are two varieties of donor who each give DNA to a carrier who give birth to the children. Infertile members of the species do not participate except in a subservient role. It was the Infertile portion of the species that he said would piss people off. The ambassador remarks about the infertile folks and draws parallels between human servants/slaves, but is rebuffed upon further investigation. The human civil rights movement fell apart in analogue when he realized the Infertile members of the species have very little self motivation or ability to make decisions for themselves, and are quite literally mentally impaired.
>>
>>9874471
Well I wrote >>9874576 before I realized we were already on the topic.
>>
File: Speaker_dead_cover[1].jpg (37KB, 257x400px) Image search: [Google]
Speaker_dead_cover[1].jpg
37KB, 257x400px
>>9874576
from the perspective of a human ambassador to an alien race. He is part of the first team sent to work with this newly discovered race and is having to essentially rewrite the entire book on negotiating to try and cater to this new species.

Pic related. half the plot of your project.
>>
>>9874600
I did enjoy Speaker for the Dead. This is different however in that humanity discovered this species as they were exiting the atomic era and entering the digital era. Humanity's first contact occurred seven years previous, with it taking that long to send along the ambassadorial mission The species lives in the Alpha Centauri system. This being the real 'first contact' as the connection before was kept to an absolute minimum mainly focused on observation.
>>
What do you lads think of Malazan?
>>
>>9874348

Yeah, he was a self-described New Deal Democrat and seemed to endorse light socialism, within a culturally homogenous context, from a Bismarckian or Dickensian reactionary perspective of noblesse oblige. It's a shame he died so relatively young for many reasons, but among them because we'll never know how WW2 and the Cold War might have changed his political perspective. Orwell for example did a complete 180 based on his experience and witnessing of the 1920s and 30s new ideologies of far right and left in practice, Loveraft died when both were still mostly theory, especially to those living in "liberal democracies".

I would, as a final note on this discussion, suggest rereading At the Mountains of Madness in the context of Lovecraft's socio-political ideas. I see it in particular as a commentary on long-lived, slavery-reliant, multicultural empires, like Rome, Persia, or Vedic India
>>
Pls guys, help me out. I'm in the mood for some SciFi but I can't find anything decent.
What I'm looking for:
>actual space and new planets
>dark and moody, maybe a hint of cyberpunk
>complex and intriguing characters that aren't walking tropes
>overall intelligent but still fun and easy to read
Would be nice if it's a series.

I tried Leviathan Awakes but disliked the characters and the shitty writing. Tried some of Scalzi's book but his writing makes me sick. Tried The Long Way to a Small Angry Plane but got bored.
>>
>>9874696
Clark Ashton Smith and Robert E. Howard had some cool Sci-Fi stuff, if I remember correctly.
>>
File: 81hlaGNMEXL._SL1500_.jpg (337KB, 880x1360px) Image search: [Google]
81hlaGNMEXL._SL1500_.jpg
337KB, 880x1360px
Is this worth reading?
>>
File: 23531335._SY540_.jpg (56KB, 358x540px) Image search: [Google]
23531335._SY540_.jpg
56KB, 358x540px
>The tool reviewed his own book.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2052452503?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1
>>
>>9874855
Not as bad the cunts that give their own books five stars.
>>
>>9874837
I'm gonna guess no.
>>
Has superheroes in prose ever been done well?
>>
>>9874837

Looks like high quality literature.
>>
>>9874837
No point in having the tail if there aren't any ears to go with it.
>>
>>9874910
Worm until the time skip happened
>>
>>9874855
What is with red books recently?
>red queen
>red rising
>red sister
>red mars
>Red Pyramid
>Red Seas Under Red Skies
>Red Dragon
>written in Red
>>
Has anyone here read United States of Japan? I started it recently, and the dialogue and prose feel reeeeally awkward, like teenage fanfiction level.
>>
>>9874696
Against A Dark Background, or Use of Weapons, both by Iain M Banks. Background hits almost all your points except part of a series, Weapons hits fewer but is part a series.

Background is set in an isolated ancient solar system, with a young woman being hunted by a cult, gathering up her old crew to locate a powerful weapon, travelling across the solar system to find it.

Weapons is about a powerful interstellar civilization called The Culture getting a retired mercenary to do one last job for them in a backwater solar system. A series of flashback chapters interleaved with the main story show his old jobs for The Culture and how he left his planet to become a mercenary for them, and sets up the ending.
>>
>>9872406
I hope it end up looking like Ghost in the Shell. That movie really nailed the cyberpunk aesthetic.
I'm looking forward for this one.
>>
>>9872518
I just wish they use 80's aesthetics when it comes to how hacking should look like.
>>
>>9874837
Yes and you should read it in public.
>>
>>9874988
Okay, fampai, will do. Didn't know it was okay for girls to read that kind of stuff in public but I will try it out.
>>
>>9875000
>not reading a million books on your phone
>>
>Thoughts in italics
>in First Person pov

Dropped.
>>
>>9875029
Dune?
>>
>>9874696
The Rediscovery of Man
>>
>>9875004
The screen is too tiny and I don't look good in glasses.
>>
Speaking of gender,

why did Ada Palmer get as much love for Seven Surrenders and gender themes after a huge reveal that eliminating gender was a mistake has essentially been the root of all the conflict in the novel
>>
File: 1473085650635.png (30KB, 700x420px) Image search: [Google]
1473085650635.png
30KB, 700x420px
>>9875319
>Too Like the Memes
>A reader accuses Palmer of being a Trump supporter
>Palmer pisses off so many SJWs after the first book that Yoon Ha Lee wrote an article saying that Palmer wasn't anti transexuals and Mycroft wasn't a sexist pig
>Next book: the only tumblr gender character becomes a straight out villain and apparently wants to get called an 'it' instead of a tumblr gender
>It's unequivocally stated numerous times that eliminating gender was a fucking mistake
>yfw you realise that eliminating genders was only introduced so that Mycroft could get away with raping a girl and saying that the housekeeper was female
Is Palmer the most subtle shitposter of our time?
>>
>>9874696
Blindsight
>>
>>9873065
Bakker's worldbuilding is underrated. You don't see enough fantasy that's based more on antiquity than the middle ages.

>b-but muh Crusade parallels
All the civilizations involved are still more similar to something you'd find in the classical Med or Vedic India.
>>
>>9875470
Bro did u jerk it to the chapter where Dominic banged the head Sensayer Euro skank?
i did
>>
I'm trying to get into reading.
Should I read Tolkien's books?

I've always loved the LOTR movies, but I'm afraid the books may ruin the movies for me or the other way around.

Going to read The Hobbit regardless because the movies were dogshit, but I'm skeptical about The Silmarillion.
>>
>>9875793
If you don't normally read fiction LOTR is a tough place to start. Tolkien has a very old fashioned style and goes heavy on the descriptors and world building asides.
>>
>>9875808
Alright then.
Got any tips?

Been thinking about The Dark Tower series aswell
>>
>>9875818
Dark Tower is mediocre outside the first book. Honestly, maybe try Roger Zelazny if you can find it? His stuff is clever but the prose is very light and to the point, and a lot of his work is short. Chronicles of Amber is his most famous work but Lord of Light is arguably his best. And he has many, many short stories and novellas beside. I'd try that before stepping into 2,000 page fantasy epics.
>>
>>9875824
Thanks man
>>
>>9875829
No problem, have fun.

The Hobbit is also probably a nice way to start, so don't feel discouraged there.
>>
>>9873065
Sanderson's worldbuilding is less about the details of individual worlds and more about how all these different worlds are connected.

The absolute best thing about Sanderson's works are his magic systems which are highly structured and defined.
>>
After the previous discussion on Lovecraft I thought I'd read one of the few of his stories I've yet to read, The Haunter In The Dark (1935.) This one is interesting; for one thing it's written in the third person (I seem to enjoy HPL more in this mode; Colour Out Of Space, Dunwich Horror). Anyway, the narrator tells the story by recalling events leading to the death of a young writer of weird fiction in Providence, beginning with his fascination with a foreboding derelict church building; the origin of diabolical rumors of outlaw church sects and missing people.

This is a satisfying, balanced, and well plotted world, where the narrator deftly weaves local rumor and lore along with a chronology of the protag's decline, based on mostly unseen diary entries by the main character. 4/5, not quite on a par with his best, pleasingly executed and stylistically interesting for fans.
>>
>>9876045
Granted I'm not that far into his collected works but I'm a fan of Polaris.
>>
>>9875029

At least it's not present tense too.
>>
>>9876050
You might be the same guy I said this to yesterday, but even if you are/are not - disregard reading chronology and just read Call Of Cthulhu, Colour Out Of Space, or Dunwich Horror already. You need to read the unequivocally good stuff so you don't end up disregarding him after reading the umpteenth Dunsanian dreamland tale or aborted novel attempts.
>>
>>9876045
Cuck!
>>
>>9873074
Not trying to fit in here, I read the wuxia style prologue and the first thought to come to mind was that the action scenes are pretty anime.
>>
>>9876104
What studio would be the best fit for Sanderson's work? Bones? Trigger?
>>
>>9874351
It's not as good as the first one but very interesting in its own right.
>>
>>9876108
Hoods.

Give it to the same team that did Drifters
>>
>>9869962
Tbh, I'd be pretty spooked if I had to look at the portrait of a naked nigress
>>
Are the monogatari books good or anime harem shit?
>>
File: DemonCyclePromo-500x262.jpg (36KB, 500x262px) Image search: [Google]
DemonCyclePromo-500x262.jpg
36KB, 500x262px
Soon!
>>
>>9869681
I rec Shannara for post-apocalyptic fantasy.

Also, Wheel of Time is technically post-apocalyptic. They had flying cars and flashlights and shit in the Age of Legends.
>>
>>9875793
Reading LotR will not only ruin the films for you but also pretty much all post-Tolkien fantasy literature. Exceptions include Gene Wolfe.

It's fine to start with him, the progression The Hobbit -> LotR -> Silmarillion is great since it will start you off with an easily digestible story and the next work puts the previous into a bigger context.
>>
>>9876481
>Shannara

Shitty LOTR clone
>>
>>9876493
>Reading LotR will not only ruin the films for you
I like both...
>>
>>9875793
Hey ho jolly Tom
>>
File: photo 1(3)-1.jpg (216KB, 636x658px) Image search: [Google]
photo 1(3)-1.jpg
216KB, 636x658px
>>9876496
I agree on that about the the first book. Same narrative, carbon-copied characters. The rest are pretty original, though. That is unless you're gonna be all like "dude elves and dwarves, it's a Tolkien ripoff lmao."

The second book (Elfstones) and the Heritage tetrology are god-tier, famalamadingdong. Terry Brooks' prose/style is quite good by genre standards.

After the 90s, though, he became absolute fucking garbage.
>>
>>9873073
Not even Le Guin, Louis Mcmaster Bujold or Robbin Hobb?
>>
>>9876585
Not that anon but Urusla Le Reddit is awful. Robin Hobb is an okay YA writer and Bujold is pretty obscure.
>>
>>9876596
I don't even know what reddit means anymore
>>
>>9873420
If anybody else cares about this theme I enjoyed 'Earth Abides'. Old and kind of forgotten story but I think that it was very well down. A completely 100% gimmick free take on the issue of 99% of humanity dying over the course of about a month. No Mad Max rape gangs taking over highways or anything, just normalfaggots trying to unfuck everything.
>>
>>9874275
If you look into this stuff virtually every issue with the world right now had at least one person trying to warn everyone 100 years ago. Thomas Carlyle did nothing wrong, Lothrop Stoddard too.

>>9874471
One of Asimov's most famous works uses this as a premise, you aren't exactly blazing a trail. The fact that you probably didn't know that tells me that you probably have no business trying to write any science-fiction. If you aren't going to start with the Greeks at least go through the genre classics.
>>
>>9874696
The Demon Princes
The Stars My Destination
>>
File: terry-goodkind-453547.jpg (47KB, 400x247px) Image search: [Google]
terry-goodkind-453547.jpg
47KB, 400x247px
Is there any other author that triggers reddit as much as Goodkind?
>>
>>9874696
Galaxy's Edge
Revelations Cycle
>>
>>9869681
The wolf hiding behind the prow scared the heck out of me when I zoomed in.
>>
>>9871424
>>Ywn
what? why? what happened to cats?
>>
>>9877046
Fucking hell, I just noticed those.
>>
>>9873099
who told you that?
>>
>>9876822
why? shouldn't they like such a shit author?
>>
>>9877212
Not if they're an Objectivist.
>>
>>9870118
>Lovecraft named a blackcat "mister nigger"
Not sure why I giggled when Wayne June read it in his audiobook as "mister black man".
>>
>>9877228
explain
>>
>>9876822
Maybe it's not reddit that is the problem here but you assholes who bring racism and sexism into everything
>>
>>9877262
People are inherently racist and sexist. The problem is you faggots suddenly making a problem out of it. It's impossible to discuss anything old in polite society without being apologetic anymore since normal human behavior is something to be ashamed of now.
>>
>>9877268
>this is what people tell themselves to justify their shitty, asshole behavior
>>
>>9874071
Do you have dogs? They are pretty smart. If your dog ripped up your slippers or skirt and you picked it (the ripped article) the dog looks guilty as fuck. They can't meet your eyes, they turn their heads, etc.
Now he explained that the dog is decades old. He was feeding it language as a way to not go crazy (he cut himself off from everything magical because he was being hunted). It wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that after decades of teaching him English he picked up some of the language. He remembers quotes from movies yes, but forgets the movie later.I think the mental link helped transfer some of his intelligence to his dog.

Remember he bound his aura to metal (which is impossible), teaching a dumb animal a language it can think in should be believable.) Remember when the goddess of the hunt linked with him? She was shocked that he was so articulate.
>tfw no more morgan rape sex
She was just misunderstood, and had a dark sense of humor. Could have been my gf and we could have cuddled
>>
>>9877268
No, humans have inherently ingroup preferences because it was an evolutionary heuristic to survive. Human communication has a limited range, so there was always an ingroup (immediately surrounding) vs outgroup (neighbors). This dynamic has greatly evolved to encompass nations and ethnic groups as communication expands. Racism is just the most recent of one of these survival heuristic. People are saying that it's not necessary for survival anymore. Sexism is a completely different beast, biological.
>>
File: 1470198506610.jpg (76KB, 550x853px) Image search: [Google]
1470198506610.jpg
76KB, 550x853px
>>9875000
>>9875126
>imma gril btw
>>
>>9877268
>white babies, black babies, asian babies
>all playing together
>turn 5 still playing together and hugging each other
>parents starts to go crazy on hate indoctrination
>you and them can never be friends
>friendship breaks up
>you start hating the other guy even though he never did you anything
Racism is learnt. It's crusty old ass racist pollies such as yourself that keeps indoctrinating future youths with your bullshit. Children don't recognize "skin" as a problem until you try to "redpill" them.
>>
>>9877440
Oh man you're deep in in aren't you?
>>
>>9877268

>>9877440
this.

racism isn't inherent. sexism isn't inherent. It's systemic over thousands and thousands of years of bullshit.

You ever see that one post about the mom who only brought movies for the boy? It's ingrained, and often not even malicious. It's a bunch of tiny things that compound. Watching people treat other people different, seeing it over and over again.

The mom didn't love her daughter any less (I assume) but she only brought movies along for her son. Why? Because "her daughter is more mature" But they're both just kids, less than ten. There was no reason not to bring one of her daughters favorites, and one of her son's favorites, but she automatically put her son first, and expected her daughter to just accept it. Not because the mom is mean (I assume), but because that's how she was raised, and her mother was raised, etc and so forth. These are tiny things.

People say, these are natural, inherent things in a human being, but they cut out the child equation. My grandma did it too: we were talking about uh... "primordial fears" and I made a point she agreed with, talking about adults having these fears.
"and kids" I said. She looked at me weird.
"No, why would kids have these fears?" It's the same thing. If it's a genetic component, then children should exhibit these concepts. You can't say "racism and sexism" is inherent unless children exhibit racism and sexism. Which they don't, unless exposed to it.

tl;dr: you're wrong
>>
>>9877440
I live in a cosmopolitan area, people self-segregate. I have friends of all colours and creeds but everyone kind of gravitates towards their own. I wasn't raised to think this stuff, if anything the opposite. It's just what I've noticed. Asians in particular strongly prefer the company of other Asians.

>>9877490
>You ever see that one post about the mom who only brought movies for the boy?
No, what the fuck are you talking about you esl?
>>
>>9877515
I think I explained it pretty completely in post
>>
>>9877490
Children aren't afraid of fire, therefore burns don't exist.
Children ARE afraid of other races, or disgusted by them. Even newborns become uncomfortable and irritable when they see people who aren't the same race as them.

That's not even getting into the most basic problem in your argument: define racism. You seem to think it's fear, it's not. For example, some people are afraid of dogs, this is usually a due to bad experiences with dogs. Some people are genetically susceptible to that phobia. BUT, regardless of whether someone loves dogs or hates and fears them, they all acknowledge they're not human, they're dogs. Are there some people who treat dogs like humans? or who act like dogs? Yes, but it's extremely strange and possibly a sign of psychosis.

You're not black, they're not white, pretending race doesn't exist only serves to prop up your self image. You want to know what's a learned behaviour? Liberalism.
>>
>>9877515
>I wasn't raised to think this stuff, if anything the opposite.
your mistake is assuming that just "whoever raised you" defines a person's characteristics. it's everything. it's language, social norms, art (literature/entertainment), societal constructs like government and local community, religion. and economic status. people of the same colors might segregate because their parents did it, and their parents before. sometimes it's a shared experience. immigrants are fellow immigrants, so they can empathize with each other. how you are raised is not defined by your parents, or even just your environment. it's predetermined by all of the mechanisms of the entire world (those that can reach your eyes and ears)
>>
>>9877583
>Children aren't afraid of fire, therefore burns don't exist.
Wot
>>
>>9877603
And also genetics, which are just as much a part of the environment as everything else.
>>
Thanks for the enlightening discussion about racism and sexism in this anonymous thread about science fiction and fantasy literature you insufferable fucking niggers
>>
>>9877665
Please don't use the N word it's extremely offensive
>>
>>9877665
you're welcome
>>
>>9877046
I too had not seen these.

Could photoshop anon put Wolfes head on a disgustingly ripped bulging dudes body for the next OP pic
>>
PALMER FOR THE HUGO

PALMER FOR THE HUGO

PALMER FOR THE HUGO
>>
>>9876596
>Bujold is pretty obscure
Really? I've read all her stuff. I have wondered why I never see her on /sffg/ charts, though.
>>
>>9874630
I'm on Toll the Hounds. If you're willing to be in it for the long run, its damn good. I hope you like when characters navel gaze, though.
>>
>>9876714
>The Demon Princes
Fuck, I loved this so much. This and the Dying Earth. Why is Vance so good?
>>
File: other.jpg (40KB, 850x600px) Image search: [Google]
other.jpg
40KB, 850x600px
If you don't have blue eyes you're not wight
>>
>>9877724
I hope that All the Birds whatever loses horribly.
>>
File: 1481497095274.jpg (433KB, 1680x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1481497095274.jpg
433KB, 1680x1260px
>>9877709
It's actually gimp. And you mean like this (pic related)l
>>
hyperion series worth it? also which one's better book of the new sun or hyperion? I'm thinking of digging into a scifi/fantasy cycle
>>
>>9877816
Will Wight that you?
>>
>>9877827
Hyperion is truly incredible.
>>
>>9877827
Only read the first Hyperion book it started off really strongly with the priest chapter. I wish the rest of the book was as good.
>>
>>9877843
Absolutely not, read the first two.
>>
>>9877845
what about 3 and 4
>>
>>9877825
Not ripped enough
I want Gene in the Gym
Gym Wolfe
>>
>>9877849
Different tone and while they're on the whole not awful books they're nothing to the original duet. Also mangles and unnessarilly retcons a lot
>>
>>9877827
Hyperion + Hyperion Cantos are masterpieces (though I hear the further sequels aren't as good, haven't read them myself).
Book of the New Sun is a masterpiece.
You won't go wrong no matter which you choose to read.
>>
How many book shelves is too many book shelves? My apartment is starting to look like a Barnes and Noble.
I think I have too much free time/disposable income.
>>
>>9877665
Its why we come to 4chan, after all.
>>
>>9877827
>>9877866
Hyperion for muh plot
New Sun is stylistically superior, and the religious themes more sound than those in Hyperion imo. (Simmons seems like nothing but an edgy atheist throwing around some thoughts about religion.)
>>
>>9877849
3 and 4 are about overpowered Loli jesus and her Gary Stu sidekick ruining the plot. They make all the original characters side characters and its basically Simmons ruining his own universe.
>>
>>9877827
The New Sun is one of THE masterpieces not just in sci-fi/fantasy but literature in general.
>>
>>9877887
*it's
>>
File: 1502389999859.jpg (10KB, 236x243px) Image search: [Google]
1502389999859.jpg
10KB, 236x243px
>>9874970

No it fucking didn't. It's that dumbass ArtStation core Cyberpunk.

Children of Men fucking did a Cyberpunk dystopia better...
>>
File: severian.jpg (641KB, 661x763px) Image search: [Google]
severian.jpg
641KB, 661x763px
>>9877894

Can confirm, Book of the New Sun was a God tier read.
>>
>>9877674
I find niggers offensive too but you don't see me whining about it.
>>
>>9877490
>racism isn't inherent. sexism isn't inherent.
Yes it is, both are entirely natural. Fagitarianism, femnazism and a weak racial cohesion and no loyality are learned behaviours.
>>
File: DGa4CE9XgAEk9uc.jpg (60KB, 594x479px) Image search: [Google]
DGa4CE9XgAEk9uc.jpg
60KB, 594x479px
>>9877292
>Preferring your own kin and understanding that men and women are different means you're an asshole
>>
>>9874630
I love it. If you're interested, power through. It likely won't be easy, but keep reading.
>>
>>9878041
Cannibalism, homosexuality, and infanticide are also entirely natural. Food production, involved fatherhood, and mutual coexistence are learned behaviors.
Wow! It's almost like humans have learned how to live better than fucking animals!
>>
Can we stop talking about various naturalistic and egalitarian fallacies and talk about gay, rape, and incest books?
>>
>>9878130
>gay, rape, and incest books?
Speaking of literature that appeals to fetishes, any good books with hot lesbians?
>>
>>9878136
>lesbians
Barely even a fetish. Anyone know books with good forced transformation of any kind?
>>
>>9878140
Better yet, what's the most fetishy stuff out there that somehow passes for literature?
>>
File: Midnight_at_the_Well_of_Souls.jpg (139KB, 450x736px) Image search: [Google]
Midnight_at_the_Well_of_Souls.jpg
139KB, 450x736px
>>9878140
You mean something like this?
Or something where physical transformation is long and drawn out for fetish reasons?
>>
>>9874855
>She lifted a hand, as if it were the heaviest thing in the world, to XXXX’s cheek. “You’re bleeding.”

>XXXX took the fingers and kissed them. “You are my blood.”

dannnnng take my money
>>
>>9875470
Wtf i Love Ada Palmer now
>>
>>9878125
>Cannibalism
This isn't natural, not in regular circumstances anyway.
>homosexuality
This is a mental illness.
>infanticide
Today we call it "pro-choice". Anyway, what's so bad about acknowledging the differences between races and genders? Why is it bad other than that it goes against your marxist worldview? If anything the insistence on pretending everyone is the same despite hard facts disproving that is rather harmful because if you don't operate according to reality you will never get the results you want. I suspect this is by design though, if you could achieve your goals you SJWs would lose your power.
>>
>>9878136
That can't be rare at all. I want fantasy with heavy scatological themes, preferably forced corpophagia. I bet there's not a single fantasy book with that.
>>
>>9878678
>>9878678
>>9878678
>>9878678
>>9878678
New Thread
>>
>>9877709
Check >>9878678
I am bad with skin tones though.
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.