[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I spent the summer reading some Russian literature and am

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: russia_flag-1280x720.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
russia_flag-1280x720.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
So I spent the summer reading some Russian literature and am now looking for where to go next. My plan would be Alexander Pushkin but I find translated poetry to have little of interest so looking for novels.

Previously this summer.
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. Good but not amazing.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky - The Brothers Karamazov. More or less amazing. ( Have also read C&P and The idiot, C&P is probably my favorite ).

Reading now. Leo Tolstoy - Anna Karenina, Amazing this far ( 350 pages ).

Tried reading Andrei Bely - Petersburg but either I'm to stupid or the translation is hard.

So where should I go next? Ideas?
>>
Gogol, Chekhov, lermontov, goncharov, bulgakov
>>
>>9868680
Gogol, Chekhox and Bulgakov was on the short list.

Could I bother you to ask which one would suffer the least from being translated?
And did you vote against Pushkin?

Just curious.
>>
>>9868690
Gogol suffers most, but guerney does a good job.
Bulgakov was censored so some editions are missing stuff.
I agree about translated poetry (from what I understand pushkin loses more than most) but you can read his prose.
>>
If you're coming from Tolstoy and Solzhenitsyn I would recommend Vasily Grossman, who is translated well by IIRC Robert Chandler. Life and Fate is an intended companion piece to War and Peace and is set around Stalingrad, the Holocaust and the Russian war effort in WW2. Grossman was a journalist for Red Star during the war.

Inb4
>Holocaust
>>
>>9868871
Thanks for coming with authors and translators. That always helps a lot.
>>
Maxim Gorky
>>
>>9868969
Gorky's 36 Men And A Girl and Chekov's Lady With A Toy Dog affected me a lot when I first read them. Also Mayakovsky and Tsvetaeva's poetry, even in translation.
>>
>>9869001
I assume you mean 26 based on wikipedia but thanks.
Why would you argue for Mayakovsky and Tsvetaeva in translation? Not against you, just careful with things that might have major differences in translation.
>>
>>9869001
>>9869065
You do argue for them in translation but in what translation? Details.
>>
>>9869065
>>9869071
I don't think I really would argue for them in translation: they're complex. Just look up different translations and you'll see they often have to be shifted to a different meter or to a prose poem because the grammar doesn't work out when you bring them into English. I barely see two Tsvetaeva translations alike.

But I still relate a lot to the essential feelings behind their poetry.
>>
File: 1491945097977.jpg (743KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1491945097977.jpg
743KB, 1200x1800px
>>9869111
I'm keeping your notes in a document with the rest ( Until I make a decision and an order ).

Thanks
>>
>>9868662
Im know russian very well because of some cyкaблядь and i must tell you one simple thing, do not read Solzhenitsyn. it's much less interesting then probably whole Great Russian literature at all. Such shit tier writer. some kind of this writers who became popular because of political reasons. Russian literature have enough good writers but this one is pretty shit.

If you though once again return to reading translated poetry? i would especially recommend look to I.Annensky, he less popular then Pushkin but one of the purest russian poets, very similiar to Mallarme sometimes. But i don't know nothing about his translation though.

And what do you know about Andrei Platonov? If you never hear about him, just remember this name, it's one of the best russian writers, unlike to anyone, very peculiar and bizarre but really good classic.
>>
File: 1рерайт.jpg (35KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
1рерайт.jpg
35KB, 720x400px
Fyodor Sologub - The Petty Demon
>>
>>9868662
Are you a hipster or smth ?
>>
>>9869392
>do not read Solzhenitsyn.
If you're interested in the subject I'd say read Gulag Archipelago but yes he's not a very good writer.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.