[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I start in Greek philosophy?? (book suggestions plss)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0121.jpg (39KB, 220x258px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0121.jpg
39KB, 220x258px
Where do I start in Greek philosophy?? (book suggestions plss)
>>
The Apology.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-06-01-05-41.png (368KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-06-01-05-41.png
368KB, 720x1280px
The presocratics (read "presocratics" Johnatan Barnes) and an essays of socrates, that will introduce you to Platon and aristoteles
>>
File: 9780199539093.jpg (59KB, 362x550px) Image search: [Google]
9780199539093.jpg
59KB, 362x550px
>>9865974
Start here.
>>
>>9865974
Start with Thales.

This is assuming you've already read all of Homer and Hesiod.
>>
someone could please explain to me why the Theogony is important to read? I'd prefer to read Ovid's Metamorphoses
>>
My library has a pretty limited greek selection and one of the only philosophy books they had was Plato's The Republic. I haven't read any aristotle but I have read Early Greek Philosophy by Penguin books, as well as quite a bit on greek history and mythology.

Does it matter all that much if I read out of the /lit/ approved order?
>>
>>9866507
Theogony is easy to read though and shorter than you're probably thinking it is. Hesiod knows the truth about women. I blasted through it in one read.

I think if you read metamorphoses alone you know enough about Greek mythology to read Greek philosophy without a problem though.
>>
>>9866491
I had a joyous transcendent experience reading this book. I don't know if it was me that day or some peculiar feature of the presocratics.
>>
Bump, don't die
>>
>>9866536
The Republic is shit if you don't know anything about Socrates and Plato, avoid it.
>>
>>9866491
What next?
>>
>>9867194

also pretty hard to read as a first philo book
>>
>>9867827
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1
>>
>>9867884
thanks, laddie
>>
>>9867851
>Plato hard to read
lol

Even as a first philosophy book the republic is pretty readable (unless you're reading the Greek). Good translations are essential, however
>>
>>9866491
This.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.