[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tolstoy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: tolstoi_411.jpg (55KB, 616x411px) Image search: [Google]
tolstoi_411.jpg
55KB, 616x411px
Any big fans of Tolstoy on /lit/?

I never read any long novels until I read War and Peace last year, read it much quicker than i thought.... Finished Anna Karenina a few days ago. Loved the historical setting, the characters (who Tolstoy wrote with such love) and the development of Tolstoy's eventual radical politics. I'm not sure if I was particularly interested because I am a historian that studies anarchism but can /lit/ recommend any similar authors or novels? Especially if anarchists or radical left wing Russians

Reading Confession, and may do Death of Ivan Ilyich but a man in a bookshop just recommended Lermontov and Goncharev to me I think because they were just 19th century Russian novelists - also Dostoevsky. Have also read Gogol a little (enjoyed) and one Turgenev (enjoyed less)
>>
Tolstoy is a hack. He never wrote anything of substance. It's all petty bourgeoisie melodrama.
Don't bother.
>>
>>9865448
I read his short stories sometimes, finished War and Peace, never finished Anna Karenina.

Check out The Kingdom of God is Within You and the Gospel in Brief. Wittgenstein was a huge fan of GIB.
>>
>>9865455
this. fuck tolstoy. francofag slave rapist. set back slavs hundreds of years with his hypocritical and wrong religious texts. should be avoided if you want to be a serious literary scholar.
>>
>>9865455
I think he might actually have agreed with you... but i don't
>>
I recently read
>Bethink Yourselves!
Wasn't bad, but I wasn't impressed by his intellectual prowess. He appeared pretty naive.
>Stop being mean to each other, baka!
>T. Tolstoy
>>
>>9865448
Ah, I'm quite familiar with your type. What you're going to want to read next that will satisfy your mature and distinguished mind, is Middlemarch. Trust me, friend, it is only the natural step forward.
>>
>>9865448
>enjoyed turgenev less
you suck.
>>
>>9865468
Have heard Kingdom of God is Within You is good, not heard of Gospel in Brief though so will check it out
>>9865485
Thought you were mocking me and then read the synopsis of Middlemarch and sounded genuinely interesting haha, anything similar but later in the 19th century?

>>9865492
Fathers and Sons is silly, unrepresentative and his characters are much less nuanced than Tolstoy. No Russian repression, the nihilism is caricatured.... I am open to trying another Turgenev if this is unrepresentative but it is his most famed novel.
>>
In 'What is art?' he says he considers all his past works bad art but 'God sees truth but waits' but I also liked his Death of Ivan Ilyich.
>>
>>9865448
The Death of Ivan Illych is well worth reading. His later stuff can come across as overly didactic but accept it for what it is and it's not an issue.

Read Gogol's short stories too.
>>
File: WARANDPEACE.png (38KB, 879x214px) Image search: [Google]
WARANDPEACE.png
38KB, 879x214px
>>9865448
Pierre is /ourguy/ no dispute
>>
>>9865518
>Fathers and Sons is silly, unrepresentative and his characters are much less nuanced than Tolstoy.

Holy shit, is it even possible to this much of a pleb.
>>
>>9865448
His short novels are all quite good, particularly Hadji Murat.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.