[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any books that handle the realities of being an adventurer/warrior

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4388.jpg (59KB, 225x321px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4388.jpg
59KB, 225x321px
Are there any books that handle the realities of being an adventurer/warrior in a high fantasy setting like Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash? Before you sound the weeaboo alarms, I only mean things such as the harsh lifestyle of supporting your group, finding lodging, developing tactics, the intimacy of killing, keeping supplies of food, etc. I prefer the slow and realistic pace of this kind of survival. I would rather be immersed into the financial and dynamic team struggles of a guild as opposed to reading about them running off to thwart an ancient evil and such. I appreciate the behind-the-scenes nuances in this kind of settings more than what we're usually accustomed to from fantasy.

Any recommendations? Don't tell me to read the light novel, please. I'm pretty much curious if there's a western kind of equivalent to this.
>>
>>9863466
Gene Wolfe's Boom of the New Sun (except the tactics thing)
>>
>>9863482
Interesting, wasn't expecting any recs of the science-fiction variety but I'll definitely give it a look.
>>
>>9863521
It's really closer to fantasy than sci-fi.
>>
>>9863550
Okay, nice.
>>
File: don_quixote.jpg (100KB, 1280x902px) Image search: [Google]
don_quixote.jpg
100KB, 1280x902px
>>9863521
BotNS is sci-fi/fantasy and unlike many those genres contain elements of modernism and literary value. You might also find interesting Wolfe's Latro in the Mist as it a very personal story with very fantastical elements in a semi-historical setting. If you're looking for some sort of a gritty-traveling epic fantasy I would cautiously recommend The Name of the Wind, though it's often lauded as wish-fulfillment stuff by /lit/erai. Though since you're on /lit/ I must recommend something classic such as reading Ariosto's 1600-page verse epic Orlando Furioso followed by Don Quixote due to Orlando's fantastic and mystical wanderings in the wilderness of 700 AD's Europe and 1600's world of dead chivalry MADE fantastical through Don Quixote's eyes. If you still want more read Pynchon's Mason & Dixon :^)
>>
>>9863466
rip mage guy, i forgot his name
>>
>>9863577
Gonna have to screencap this one. Thanks for all the recs.

Gotta say, I'm finding Gene Wolfe's stuff pretty interesting, I'll probably end up reading one of his works next. BotNS seems to be pretty long, and I was actually wanting something shorter since I'm just about done with Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire triology, but my curiosity is piqued.
>>
>>9863596
*Priest guy
>when your squad is so shit you need to have your Priest carry while also DPSing
>>
>>9863723
What do you know of mythology, metaphysics and physical science? It's a lot more to chew on than any other fantasy or sci fi series in these regards
>>
>>9863466
Haven't read them but supposedly the original The Witcher short stories are very much like this.

>>9863723
One of Wolfe's shorter and easier works is a very down to Earth story about medieval peasant life. 'The Devil In A Forest'. Should also work as a good introduction to his style. If you like it try the longer stuff.
>>
>>9863729
>What do you know of mythology, metaphysics and physical science?
I love mythology and I have a mild interest in metaphysics, but I'm far from a student of the field.

>>9863732
Cool, I'll update my backlog. I'm interested in the Witcher books since I've always heard good things about them plus I got 1 and 2 during the last Steam sale. Haven't played them yet though.
>>
>>9863577
>Orlando Furioso
Not OP but this sounds incredible.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.