[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Book idea request

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: cover.jpg (10KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
10KB, 183x275px
Hello /lit/. I have an idea for a book that I'd like to write. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I originally wrote this idea on the post >>9861667 , but I thought here would be a better place to receive feedback.
>Some crazy, surreal, M.C Escher shit happens on earth.
>Then eldritch abominations appear a la H.P Lovecraft. Their presence somehow results in genetic mutations occurring in people, allowing them to do stuff normal humans can't, including supernatural powers,
>The story is about the main characters fighting off these beings as well as criminal organisations that have taken advantage of the shifting paradigm of the world and doomsday cults who fear/worship said creatures, while at the same time some character development and psychological/philosophical themes are developed as a result of the world of theirs.
>References to the Book of Revelations
Thoughts? What should I change?
>>
Also, it goes without mentioning, but this is WIP. I don't have all the details down yet.
>>
>>9862838
If you can write, fine. Based of your apparant influences, that seems unlikely
>>
>>9862880
>apparant influences
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>9862838
>Thoughts? What should I change?
is this bait? why did you make a separate thread for this? based off the writing skill of ur summary u should prob just throw it in the trash. ur idea is hackneyed and would only appeal pseuds who are too afraid to read literature. if u wanna continue writing it for yourself, good for u, but please dont mention it here again
>>
>>9862908
Care to specify?
>>
Look, if none of you guys are gonna elaborate on what you say and just assume I'll know what you're talking about, then don't even bother typing.
>>
>>9862908
Also, are you too illiterate to read the part that says "WIP"? In case you're too fucking stupid, it means "Work In Project", which means this is incomplete, and I'm asking to be judged based on what I have.

That's like judging the beta of a game as if it were the finished product. You're retarded.
>>
>>9862838
>hile at the same time some character development and psychological/philosophical themes are developed as a result of the world of theirs.

Yeah, so the only way this novel could be any good is if your "psychological/philosophical themes" are actually interesting. No one will really care about another genre fiction book about super heroes and eldritch abominations unless you've got something unique to bring to the table.

You seem to be working from the premise of science fiction world building and 'what if', which is probably the worst way to go about writing actually interesting science fiction. Sure, some autists will really dive into the world building, start inserting their own characters, maybe play a D&D session based off it, but to arrive at anything 'good', you'll need to offer some really unique insights into 'the human' and 'the inhuman'.
>>
>>9862838
This idea is a toilet, but here is some advice.
Keep the opening
Change your monsters enough that you're not ripping off Lovecraft.
Ditch the mutation, superpowered civilians is some YA, I-wanna-be-a-special-boy bullshit.
If you come up with some interesting angles and themes you could do alright, focusing on different groups is a good idea. Having a core group of main characters fighting will be lame if their too heroic or edgy etc. you're in danger of there being more YA bullshit.
Bible references are a bit passé but I'm easy.
>inb4 this abomination is bait anyway
>>
>>9863059
FINALLY a decent comment!

Yeah, you seem to make a decent point. I've been wondering if I really could write a story with two elements that seem to contrast so much.

That last sentence was uncalled for though.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.