[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't get it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Beckett_Molloy.jpg (22KB, 147x216px) Image search: [Google]
Beckett_Molloy.jpg
22KB, 147x216px
I don't get it.
>>
Moran is Molloy, and the things that Molloy rants about in the first section can be attributed to the people and events that take place in Moran's life. The second section can be read to technically predate the first in that case. I cant really remember everything well but examples off the top of my head:

Molloy=Moran
- Both share the same leg problem.
- Both mention they once had a son before his abandonment.
- Molloy's 'mother' could actually be Moran's housekeeper but I don't remember her name.
- Moran's desire for his son to own a bike can be attributed to Molloy's obsession with his own.

There's so many more once you re-read the first part but I generally can't remember many.
>>
>>9861568
The entire point is put stones in your mouth and stuff.
>>
>>9861749
i felt that there was a possibility that the two stories are in parallel, and that though moran seems to become molloy in his pusuit of molloy, it does not necessitate the idea that the two are one in the same, perhaps there is a state of being molloy that people come to in pursuit.

there's also the idea that it's a descent into madness, the big thirsty guy that comes to malone, but doesn't get a beer, perhaps an entity that never existed. hell, there might be some evil force that comes to men to cause them to become molloy or molloy-like.
it's hard to make any conclusive statements about the book and it's beautiful for that.
>>
>>9862335
this

>>9861749
most definitely not this
>>
>>9862367
>>9862372
That is a much better nuanced reading of it than myself. I feel slightly ashamed of writing what I wrote earlier as it sounds like I've reduced it to some sort of big twist at the end when I knew myself for a fact that it was more than just that. As a big fan of Beckett, a general theme of ambiguity tends to run throughout his work like in Endgame and I feel silly for not analysing the novel a lot more maturely with that in mind. What you wrote displayed an analysis of Molloy that was a lot more eloquent and thorough than myself so just wanted to say thank you for it.
>>
Wait 'till you get to the Unnamable. That's the toughest book I've read. I love that Trilogy tho, Molloy in particular. Beckett's incredible.
>>
i can remember my high school english teacher (who introduced me to beckett) talking about his use of spatiality in molloy, and i completely understood what he meant (in chapter two it felt like moran and his son were only about fifty yards from their house, despite being miles and miles away), and he agreed with me on that point. sadly, i havent been able to find any sources mentioning this since then. does anybody know anywhere that discusses this further?

also op, its a masterpiece but i didnt realise it until long after id finished reading it.
>>
>>9862410
woah man, your view is equally valid! i was just suggesting another possible couple of views. it just shows really how amazing an author beckett was, and that prose man, that fucking man had a way with words. often it's so hard to stop a book and come back and feel still in a rhythm of the novel, but i found myself easily starting back up mid page, sometimes mid sentence without any sort of whiplash. i really wish there was a collection of his works in a single volume i could pick up somewhere. not just the trilogy, of course. anyhow, you have a nice one, i'm glad to have if anything added to a conversation about a genius author.
>>
>>9861568
there is nothign to 'get', only a divine madness to embrace
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.