[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for philosophy readers at lit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: l'etranger.jpg (7KB, 182x276px) Image search: [Google]
l'etranger.jpg
7KB, 182x276px
What do you seek in a philosophical novel? Do you want for it to have new themes, or shed old themes in a new light? How much focus narrative and characters do you want? And can a book that, despite not having philosophy as its focal point, still count as a philosophy book?
>>
>>9860943
My goal is to finish the book and not feel like doing so was a waste of time.
>>
>>9860952
Alright then, I'm assuming this is referring to philosophical novels and that the question is on track. So what exactly would a philosophical novel have to do to have "wasted your time"?
>>
>>9860966
If it's boring, unoriginal, just plain useless or any combination of the above.

For instance Mundus Millennials is all of the three and I would not recommend reading it.
>>
>>9860997
>Mundus Millennials
Is this it? http://mundusmillennialis.com/
If so, holy fuck!
>>
YOU are an IDIOTFOOL
>>
>>9861018
That's the one.
>>
>>9861030
Well this website is...
What the fuck am I reading?
>>
>>9860943
It's a good question OP. For me, I like philosophical novel since it can be used as medium to exchange point of views by using a character instead of just pure thought.

I would say it's like an allegory or some sort and very great to be able to expand new thoughts.
>>
Philosophy isn't narrative or fiction or any other kind of representation, whether artistic or religious
>>
>>9861454
yea man
>>
>>9861476
Then are there any good works of fiction containing philosophical themes you can recommend?
>>
>>9860943
>What do you seek in a philosophical novel?

I actually am not such a fan of philosophical novels. Sartre's fiction seemed like gratuitous extended examples of bad faith or other concepts of his ontology. Truthfully I had to bail on Nausea.
>>
>>9860943
>What do you seek in a philosophical novel?
Something other than philosophy.
Philosophy isn't something that someone could talk about for hundreds of pages; of course philosophical writing is almost always hundreds of pages because it must be- it's academic, there's a lot of ground to cover.
But any philosophy can be summed up in a few paragraphs and demonstrated in a few pages.
What I look for in a philosophical novel is the same thing I look for in any novel, good writing, compelling themes, good prose, and most importantly well developed characters.
So guys like Huxley, Orwell, Rand, Vonnegut sometimes, and Kundera are bad because they're plastic. Everything is obviously fabricated to push a narrative, too much spoon-feeding and moralizing, characters are more like paper caricatures of whatever ideology they represent, it's all loose and half cooked garbage meant to function as a vehicle for the author's ideology.
My favorite might be Crime and Punishment but I'm tired of talking about it, I'm sure you can figure the rest out
>>
>>9860943
I want true and final answers to life's problems to that I can stop seeking and start living my life with a clear-cut beautiful ideology free of doubt and find happiness.
>>
>>9862723
Dude same

>>9862722
But could you perhaps accept a very well-written piece of fiction with some philosophical themes?
>>
>>9862733
Well yeah. I just said C&P is one of my favorites.
I just prefer when philosophy is a theme and not the centerpiece. Philosophy without real characters in a real environment is irrelevant, I may as well be reading an actual philosophy book. I want to see it applied, in a functioning world that accounts for humanity and more importantly examines the philosophy from all angles, even to the point of refutation
>>
>>9862752
Oh I see. That's interesting. Yeah, that's what I'm going with my (hypothetical) book. I don't want to make a philosophy book, but I want to make one that discusses the themes as somewhat of a side-dish or something like that, alongside psychological content, and maybe social commentary, although perhaps that's a stretch. The real meat of the story would lie within its characters and story.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.