[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't/doesn't Faustus repent?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: faustus.jpg (690KB, 1153x764px) Image search: [Google]
faustus.jpg
690KB, 1153x764px
FAUSTUS. A surfeit of deadly sin, that hath damned both
body and soul.

SECOND SCHOLAR. Yet, Faustus, look up to heaven, and remember
mercy is infinite.

FAUSTUS. But Faustus' offence can ne'er be pardoned: the serpent
that tempted Eve may be saved, but not Faustus. O gentlemen,
hear me with patience, and tremble not at my speeches! Though
my heart pant and quiver to remember that I have been a student
here these thirty years, O, would I had never seen Wittenberg,
never read book! and what wonders I have done, all Germany can
witness, yea, all the world; for which Faustus hath lost both
Germany and the world, yea, heaven itself, heaven, the seat of
God, the throne of the blessed, the kingdom of joy; and must
remain in hell for ever, hell. O, hell, for ever! Sweet friends,
what shall become of Faustus, being in hell for ever?

SECOND SCHOLAR. Yet, Faustus, call on God.

FAUSTUS. On God, whom Faustus hath abjured! on God, whom Faustus
hath blasphemed! O my God, I would weep! but the devil draws in
my tears. Gush forth blood, instead of tears! yea, life and soul!
O, he stays my tongue! I would lift up my hands; but see, they
hold 'em, they hold 'em?

ALL. Who, Faustus?

FAUSTUS. Why, Lucifer and Mephistophilis. O gentlemen, I gave
them my soul for my cunning!

ALL. O, God forbid!

FAUSTUS. God forbade it, indeed; but Faustus hath done it: for
the vain pleasure of four-and-twenty years hath Faustus lost
eternal joy and felicity. I writ them a bill with mine own blood:
the date is expired; this is the time, and he will fetch me.

FIRST SCHOLAR. Why did not Faustus tell us of this before,
that divines might have prayed for thee?

FAUSTUS. Oft have I thought to have done so; but the devil
threatened to tear me in pieces, if I named God, to fetch me
body and soul, if I once gave ear to divinity: and now 'tis
too late. Gentlemen, away, lest you perish with me.

SECOND SCHOLAR. O, what may we do to save Faustus?

FAUSTUS. Talk not of me, but save yourselves, and depart.

THIRD SCHOLAR. God will strengthen me; I will stay with Faustus.

FIRST SCHOLAR. Tempt not God, sweet friend; but let us into the
next room, and pray for him.

FAUSTUS. Ay, pray for me, pray for me; and what noise soever
you hear, come not unto me, for nothing can rescue me.
>>
>>9859400
because he willingly gave his soul to satan, not that he had no will to beck repent, no, he plotted his own dement. lucifer is a wily excuse, my dear friend, no infinite mercy would refuse a man who sold a mere soul that was never his property. no, his own spiteful remonstrance restricted his plea for repentance.
>>
That is whats happening in the superior Goethe version
>>
>>9859419
Why would he plot his own demise? And why would he say things like "O my God, I would weep! but the devil draws in
my tears. [...] O, he stays my tongue! I would lift up my hands; but see, they hold 'em, they hold 'em?"?
>>
>>9859457
an excuse, as i quoth, nonsense from dement self inflictus.
>>
He can, but he's in the throes of despair.
>>
>Hiftory
>>
>>9859400
he can but he won't because it doesn't sit well with him, his pride won't allow it.
>>
>>9859465
>Hiftoy
>>
>>9859459
>pidgin latin
wtf
>>
>>9859475
yeah, i'm drunk, sorry. little bit of opiates too,
>>
>>9859419
>>9859462
>>9859469

how would he go about doing that?

>O God forgive me?

Is that all it takes? That seems too convenient.
That's always been my problem with Christianity. I could never believe "forgiveness" was anything other than a nice, neat dismissal of a genuine anxiety.

Also - how can one ever know that they are really truly forgiven? Because they feel like they have been? Seems too unverifiable.
>>
Because he doesn't want to. He's mocking the scholars.
>>
>>9859486
that is the sickening bit, you know? that it just seems so easy. you, like me, have been deterred by lack of complexity, but our complexity has gotten us what? what do you remember from cliche? simplicity points us toward truth.
what is so difficult to understand about recieving a gift we feel we do not deserve, we return it, saying nonono, it must be for someone else. but that's the thing, infinite mercy, the gift giver doesn't hold the guilt we do, that faust does. he holds his guilt and wields it as a blade to cut himself from faith, from forgiveness.
it is not god who has any trouble forgiving us our sins, it is ourselves, or who we see as ourselves, satan, the sin itself within us, that we let be our judges.
>>
>>9859486
and to answer of knowing you have been blessed with forgiveness, well, it's obvious isn't it? sincerity. to turn it into some sort of mathematical statement, forgiveness is roughly the equivalent to your sincerity in receiving it. if that makes you more comfortable. faith is a very strange thing to people like you or i, who deal in what we see as absolutes, it seems so light, so airy, so false. faith is light because it helps us lift to heaven.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.