[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does 'gestalt' mean?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: david_foster_wallace.jpg (357KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
david_foster_wallace.jpg
357KB, 750x500px
What does 'gestalt' mean?
>>
I wouldn't be asking here if I didn't need to. I don't understand any of the online definitions. Can someone break it down for me?
>>
>the whole has a reality of its own, independent of the parts

Think of it as your body. It's made of cells, each with their own business.
But you're more than just a bunch of cells working together. So much that a cell doesn't define you, neither don't all your cells.
You're entirely something else.
>>
>>9857171
What's the gestalt here? Would it be your body being an entity of its own despite being composed of all those individual cells?
>>
>>9857130
I'm a little bit confused. Are you asking for a german-english translation?
>>
>>9857130
It's usually used in relation to perception. To grasp the "gestalt" of something means to grasp it as a singular whole, rather than a collection of parts. You don't see a table as a board with four legs; you just see A TABLE.
>>
>>9857130
>>9857130
in german in means "form" as in "the spirit took form"
>>
>>9857178

whole ≠ sum of parts
>>
File: ithink.jpg (14KB, 499x475px) Image search: [Google]
ithink.jpg
14KB, 499x475px
>>9857130
it's that guy with white hair in The Witcher...
>>
File: IMG_5427.jpg (76KB, 407x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5427.jpg
76KB, 407x480px
>>9857130

>gestalt

You are in the right path anon
>>
Sometimes Gestalt means just a person, especially it she hasn't been introduced yet / is unknown. Like 'he saw a strange Gestalt disappearing into the bushes' or something like that. Often it means something like form. Just provide the context with the full sentence
>>
>>9857171
>>9857262
>>9857271
>>9857277
>>9857316
You guys rock. Thanks so much, I think I get it now.
>>
Gestalt = summary, as in "he gave the basic gestalt of the jews' plan"
>>
It's a lesser form of the enchilada. A basic gestalt would be like a quick survey of relevant information, while a whole enchilada would be a massive and detailed information dump. Whether to give somebody a gestalt or enchilada depends on their interest and ability to comprehend
>>
gestalt literally means figure
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.