[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: mindsetCarol Dweck.jpg (99KB, 308x475px) Image search: [Google]
mindsetCarol Dweck.jpg
99KB, 308x475px
> Mindset is a simple idea discovered by world-renowned Stanford University psychologist Carol Dweck in decades of research on achievement and success—a simple idea that makes all the difference.

> In a fixed mindset, people believe their basic qualities, like their intelligence or talent, are simply fixed traits. They spend their time documenting their intelligence or talent instead of developing them. They also believe that talent alone creates success—without effort. They’re wrong.

> In a growth mindset, people believe that their most basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work—brains and talent are just the starting point. This view creates a love of learning and a resilience that is essential for great accomplishment. Virtually all great people have had these qualities.

TED (not TEDx) Presentation by her:
https://www.ted.com/talks/carol_dweck_the_power_of_believing_that_you_can_improve

Book's website:
https://mindsetonline.com/whatisit/about/

Anyone read this?
Horribly oversimplified observation... tl;dr-- kids who were praised with "you are really smart" by their parents tend to have difficult time undertaking new challenges that threaten their self-esteem.

Kids who were told "you worked really hard" tend to have an easier time undertaking new challenges that threaten their self-esteem.

Any of you have this problem where the fear of failing subconsciously paralyzes you from doing an activity or hobby? I'm 30 years old and found myself having panic attack when I signed up for a once a week foreign language course. As retarded as this sounds, I was sitting there in my kitchen staring at chapter one and actually broke into a sweat. Trying to figure out why- someone recommended this. All my life I was told I was "really smart", yet I almost dropped out college and haven't succeeded at learning anything new beyond Dwarf Fortress and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

Any of you familiar with Carol Dweck's work?
>>
just be yourself
>>
More bullshit about unlocking our true potential, bunch of crap, no mindset will fix your lack of intelligence.
>>
I was the smart kid too but as it turns out words are fucking useless (and I ate shit, academically), so now I dont really care for compliments or anything like that. Just get shit done and shut off the noise.

Havent read the book, but its very proven how you think and feel does influence your actions. I suppose in my case I thought evrything was a given, rip young me (glad he's dead)
>>
>>9856391
>but its very proven how you think and feel does influence your actions.
oh shit, really? no fucking way dude you just blew my fucking mind!
>>
>>9856404
Awesome, dont forget to tell your friends!

It sounds obvious as hell but really, people tell themselves stupid and degrading shit all the time, and thusly end up going nowhere. If your thinking is shit then your actions will be shit, that's the bottom line.
>>
This is basic CBT without the exercises. Which is all well and good if you want to be productive but it deals with nothing beyond surface concerns
>>
fuck off with your self help pop sci bullshit brainlet
>>
>>9856384
Garbage. Get a self-help book from before 1940. Things after that are 50/50. Anything published in the past 40 years is detrimental to your well-being.
>it's my parent fault that they loved me
You do realise the purpose of these books is to get you into therapy or on medication?
>>
>>9856423
Any idea how to self-CBT... oneself?
>>
>>9856445
There are loads of cbt books out there used by practitioners. I can't recommend because because I only half assed it and only marginally use the techniques now, they're effective I guess but don't be fooled, it's popularity is down to getting you back to productive work, not curing your depressive anxieties
>>
File: 1466166355416.jpg (7KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
1466166355416.jpg
7KB, 224x225px
>>9856384
>TED
>>
>>9856388
>lack of intelligence
Not everybody shares this problem with you.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.