[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to look at stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 2

File: Books_about_Books.png (3MB, 1660x2156px) Image search: [Google]
Books_about_Books.png
3MB, 1660x2156px
Can you guys tell me a book that would help me be less shit at interpreting stories? So far I've tried looking at poems and then comparing my interpretation with that given by academics, and I'm almost always wrong. That, and following these things just doesn't come natural to me, especially when we're talking about a full length novel.
I've taken a look at the stuff from the wikia, but I can't really tell which would be best suited for this.
>>
File: 1497536053823.jpg (7KB, 206x214px) Image search: [Google]
1497536053823.jpg
7KB, 206x214px
I think you should actually pay more attention to context. Suppose you're trying to read and get a solid understanding of Thoreau's Walden. You might want to know something of Thoreau's thoughts and ideas beforehand and, in this case, reading some of his shorter essays, or aphorisms, should help you. Keep in mind that academics, especially in recent times, are much more prone to slip their own agendas in their interpretations. Do read critique if you find it interesting, but beware.

In the words of Hobbes: "...he that takes up conclusions on the trust of authors... loses his labour; and does not know any thing, but onely beleeveth."
>>
Scholars dedicate their entire careers to the study of a handful of selected authors, you didn't. You interpret from your experience, they interpret according to the authors' historical, social and cultural context.

Reading the Bible is a constant challenge to your interpretive abilities, particularly when seemingly discordant passages show up. It actively calls you to make sense of It.

We shouldn't forget hermeneutics was born out of Bible studies.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.