[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

'Wholesomeness' and Sincerity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: uGemYts.jpg (180KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
uGemYts.jpg
180KB, 960x960px
Lately I've been getting tired of the usual topic of sadness, depression, alienation, etc... I understand how important it is to look at the world for what it (mostly) is: Chaos, pain, suffering, negative emotions, etc... We've all been there and can relate one way or another to that. To add to all of this, there are truly compelling writers and philosophies about how meaningless or, to put it more precisely, how small and fragile we are in the grand scheme of things. But I just feel that this only makes us grow a thicker skin instead of trying to change our ways, at least to switch the mindset for a moment.

However, I find it truly inspiring to look at pieces of media and actions that while not truly negating this ideas, give out the ephemeral emotion of feeling good and complete. I won't go to the point of saying that a positive mindset will turn your life around, but a sincere emotion of happiness is just great and I feel that it makes everyone around experience a less sad life for a moment.

People might argue that most pop media just tries to do that, that the whole point of Capitalism is to make us feel good about how shitty out lives are, but you can notice how fake or 'plastic' that is. How commercialized and bottled experiences are just that, somehow we can feel that inauthenticity. I'm talking about purely good hearted, sincere and authentic works (whatever they are, but it's harder to see it in books) that give out a feeling of 'wholesomeness'. I know there are people that give the same feeling too, for many Bob Ross is an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEU0stNfkxI

Do you guys have any examples in books? I know kid's books can be like this, but I don't know many.
Can you guys at least relate to it?
>>
File: Untitled-.jpg (491KB, 1368x4312px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-.jpg
491KB, 1368x4312px
Nah

>When participants were asked to press a button and rate the control they perceived they had over whether or not a light turned on, depressed individuals made more accurate ratings of control than non-depressed individuals.[6] Among participants asked to complete a task and rate their performance without any feedback, depressed individuals made more accurate self-ratings than non-depressed individuals.[7][8][9][10] For participants asked to complete a series of tasks, given feedback on their performance after each task, and who self-rated their overall performance after completing all the tasks, depressed individuals were again more likely to give an accurate self-rating than non-depressed individuals.[11][12][13][14][15][16] When asked to evaluate their performance both immediately and some time after completing a task, depressed individuals made accurate appraisals both immediately before and after time had passed.[17]

>In a functional magnetic resonance imaging study of the brain, depressed patients were shown to be more accurate in their causal attributions of positive and negative social events than non-depressed participants who demonstrated a positive bias.[18] This difference was also reflected in the differential activation of the fronto-temporal network, higher activation for non self-serving attributions in non-depressed participants and for self-serving attributions in depressed patients, and reduced coupling of the dorsomedial prefrontal cortex seed region and the limbic areas when depressed patients made self-serving attributions.

tl;dr Depressives have a more accurate grasp on reality
>>
>>9855341
I never denied that desu
>>
Unironically Winnie the Pooh. It's an absolutely beautiful work. However, I think you might have to understand that a lot of the wholesome stuff is going to feel childish. I also think that's part of the point of wholesome, relaxing, or otherwise affirmative media, especially books--to be childish.

>>9855341
OP just wants some happy reading.
>>
>>9855366
I understand that it might mostly be childish, but there are ways it can be more mature, a lot of Ben Montero's comics have a dark theme behind, but this give out the 'wholesome' feeling. Calvin and Hobbes sometimes has that feeling too, and it clearly isn't that childish. Maybe most positive medie is evoking simpler times as if problems aren't really that big when we put them in perspective, and everyone can relate simpler times to childhood, which doesn't mean something is childish.

Also, do you mean Winnie the Pooh as the cartoon or the books?
>>
We've tricked ourselves into thinking depression, victimization and suffering are signifiers of insight and depth, when really they're only an avenue to such things /if/ they are overcome.

Read some Tolkien, that guy saw some of the most horrific shit anyone could imagin, but his work beams with positive inspiration.
>>
>>9855414
Tolkien's works as a whole is about 3000 pages of carefully constructed mono no aware, even if there are some cheerful excerpts
>>
>>9855325
That's exactly why I read fantasy. I can't stand this depressing shit that people talk about all the time. I want to have some fun too. And I do.
>>
>implying the 'world' is any of that
Letzter Mensch, stop deluding yourself.
>>9855341
Reality doesn't exist, ideologue.
>>
>>9855325
that image is adorable
>>
>>9856679
Check out Ben Montero on fb if you want to see an image like that ever so often, he makes me smile on the inside.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.