[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>dropped this doorstopper >picked up Dracula instead >already

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (587KB, 1871x2560px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
587KB, 1871x2560px
>dropped this doorstopper
>picked up Dracula instead
>already 10x better in the first few chapters
>>
>>9853827
You've fallen for the meme.
>>
why does shitting on this novel tickle y'all's special snow snowflake neurosis so much
>>
they both suck
>>
What a surprise, the phoneposter couldn't slog through a novel whose difficulty is 6/10 at worst
>>
>>9853861
It was a good move though. Dracula is the superior novel and is much shorter.
>>
>>9853879
With that attitude OP should only read novels whose critical acclaim to word count ratio is highest. Start with the most acclaimed yet shortest novel, and work your way down the list until eventually you're reading 800 page length Stephen King novels.
>>
>>9853827
For all the discussion I see of this book, I've never actually been spoiled on the basics of the plot, any characters or known any context sorrounding it beyond DFW himself.

Do people just like spreading the meme? Should I actually pick this up one day?
>>
/li/ is so salty about IJ, you hate this shit now, you are gonna love it tomorrow
DFW is dead laffin right now
>>
>>9853934
the book has multiple plots
>>
>>9853934
Because we don't discuss this book beyond one-liner dismissals of it anymore. One issue is probably that no one finishes it anymore. This is 100% true in the case of its detractors. I've never seen a single one of them deliver a sustained well-informed critique. In fact, most of the time they will just flat-out admit to not having gotten halfway through the book, which is pathetic because the novel is a blast once you get about 200 pages in. The most sophisticated critique of Infinite Jest you'll see nowadays are actually just shallow ad-hom critiques of DFW on a personal level. That he was actually insincere and insecure, and that the latter flaw is discernible in IJ. That he packed the book with academic information (which was sometime's wrong (like the footnote about the mean value theorem)) to convince everyone he was really really smart.
>>
>>9853934
all the spoilers worth caring about are in Chapter 27, ยง40, Footnote 324

that part redeemed the whole book in my opinion
>>
>>9853827
i've dropped this too, but picked harry potter instead
the last book sucked tho
>>
>>9853934
>>9854006
Oh, and just to answer your question, you should absolutely pick it up one day. Like I said, the novel is really a fun read once you get past all the setting. Sure, it's got its flaws. Some of them are superficial, and some are more serious (total lack of character development in all but maybe 1 or 2 characters). But its also very funny, and packed with clever, poignant observations like "sons will inevitably answer the phone with same intonations and locutions as their fathers". And I'm not really even beginning to get into the real substance of the book, DFW's concern with the prevailing I-want-to-be-gratified-now attitude in contemporary America.
>>
>>9853844
because its the real meme, my friend. newfags believe books such as those in the memetrilogy are 'meme' as in 'unnecessarily long, bad, about nothing, nonsense, pretentious babble', and that hating it is 'memeing', when in reality, the actual meme is reading through them, enjoying them, loving them (and for some people ironically shitting them to scare retards off of them)

you can clearly see the amount of retards hating those books without ever reading even one chapter, they are pretty sure they are not even worth trying
>>
>>9853827
Just be warned that Dracula doesn't stay good after the first few chapters. Or at least nothing in the rest of the book fully lives up to the part where Harker is in Dracula's castle.
>>
>>9853934
worth the work it asks of its reader, and totally unique and endearing and insightful in a way that outshines its flaws imo
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.