[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading books out loud to make speech/vocal gains?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 4L_QXCwGPX4.jpg (650KB, 783x1024px) Image search: [Google]
4L_QXCwGPX4.jpg
650KB, 783x1024px
Anyone ever try this? I need to find somewhere where I can read out loud as if I'm giving a public speech to help improve my oratory.
>>
Beach, against the roar of the waves. You also put a rock in your mouth.
>>
Read Pericles' Funeral Oration in every Barnes and Noble in your city and film it for us to watch.
>>
>I need to find somewhere where I can read out loud
At home?

I'm a drama student, could give some basic tips if you'd like
>>
>>9851686
This.
>>
>>9851686
I'm partial to pebbles, personally
>>
File: 1501917842205.jpg (650KB, 783x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1501917842205.jpg
650KB, 783x1024px
>>
>>9851810
please do
>>
>>9851866
>Get outta here you little freakin' pizza man
>>
I know Hitler would always practice in front of a mirror but Goebbels liked the feeling of going into a speech unprepared and improvise.
Goebbels was a natural talent which I assume the best speakers usually are.
>>
>>9851955
I think story-telling is the most important step in training this skill.
Start with a print-out of a text that's challenging. Try finding a text with 'visual' proze. For example, we used the short story Minotaur by Friedrich Dürrenmatt.
Now read through the text a couple of times, and try looking at it as a movie director: how many 'scenes' are there in this story?
Mark every scene and name it.
Now analyse every sentence and mark the main clauses. It's very important to have a clear view of what is more important in the text you have in front of you. My teacher talks about 'corridors': you think about this, and then your mind turns into another corridor, into another thought, and after a few corridors, you may get back to your initial message.
Tell the story out loud, and think as a movie director: this word or this sentence would look like this shot in a movie. Try to put that 'shot' in your speech.

And of course not every great speaker went through this, or marks the main clauses in their speeches. But this is an exercise that helps you understand the way a text is constructed. Because when we talk, and for example tell a friend who we met on the street the other day, the sentence builds itself organically. The main goal is to tell a written text as if you're finding the words at the very moment.

If you're only about speeches, try doing the same with famous speeches, analyse them and see what's important, it's the same technique but not as refined.
Take your time.
Watch others speech.
If you're speaking somewhere for a big audience or in a place with bad acoustics, if there has been a silence, always start your sentence talking slow. After you've caught their attention again, you can speed up. But everytime you begin talking again, start talking slow.
Do warm ups for your voice and mouth. (sing more if you like it, it'll free your voice)
Do some kind of relaxation exercise or something that'll calm you down. If you're stressed, you won't take your time, and people won't bother.
Be confident, or fake it.

Pretty funny you >>9851980 mention this.
Practicing in a mirror seems kind of dull to me.
Whenever doing something like this, like doing a speech, a monologue, singing/playing a song, practice by yourself, but at some point, try to grab someone as an audience. You'll only know whether something works or not when you're doing it in front of someone else.

And Hitler was a pretty talented speaker as well.

Hope this helps and doesn't come off too pretentious.
>>
File: 1497993262919.jpg (24KB, 321x386px) Image search: [Google]
1497993262919.jpg
24KB, 321x386px
more Goebells
>>
>>9852153
He looks like a swarthy Semite. Addie too. Why weren't there any aryans in the nazi elite?
>>
>>9852169
People are so misunderstood by their Race superiority idea.
The goal for these men was to unite the old Germanian tribal areas and its people.
So everything the Romans didn't hold to the north and just spreadinga a little through bavaria, the Rhine and into Austria but only because germanic people had spread that far by now and they didn't want to abandon them.
The idea was not to create a sole tall, blond blue eyed race or country.
It was to form a germanic nation.
The aryan was only an ideal.
Germanics are definetly not just aryans but like most Germans (especially southern germans) often brown haired and browned eyed and with skin that tans easily.

Weird to think that their ideals would be set so far back in history but it is true.

Recommend reading Goebbels diaries to anyone.
Only problem is that it gets censored heavily but he truly was an interesting man and more perplexed than most NatSoc
>>
>>9852196
Maybe they were just charlatans making themselves rich and powerful on the backs of the German people and killing millions of whites in the process.
>>
File: OkamiSammy.jpg (217KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
OkamiSammy.jpg
217KB, 620x350px
>>9852149
>storytelling
My nigga. No interest in speeches, either giving or listening but I'm a huge fan of storytelling and incredibly disappointing that it's a dying art. Luckily enough I'm Irish and we have a strong oral tradition, most months you can find a pub or two where storytellers are plying their trade, and besides that my friends are mostly happy to sit and listen to me telling stories. Could be worse.
>>
>>9852206
Many definetly got corrupted without a doubt and others early on saw possibility of enriching themselves if they were part of the power grab party when it happened.
But in generall, especially leading figures had the dream of this everlasting, harmonious nation being a beacon of purity and righteousnes.
Easy to argue against, especially now, but Goebbels reiterates his "dreams" repeatedly and always states his own amazement with Hitler's outlook on the entire situation as someone who has this germanic nation as a final goal no matter the cost.

Not trying to be all pol but humanizing these guys (which many people fear of doing) is incredibly interesting and gives a clearer outlook on the situation. Doesn't mena you'll excuse their actions just understand their "evil" unveiled from any lies/propaganda or (really unnecessary) vilification.
>>
>>9852246
I'm not opposed to that, most lies contain a truth; in fact I'm very interested in the esoteric side of nazism and would like to read Goebbel's diary. I think the antisemitism was the german people's true feelings and Hitler and the rest were simply harnessing that; people had spent years during the depression watching financiers live comfortably while boys sold their ass for something to eat, so it isn't really "evil" to me, the hatred of Jews and foreigners came from a place of genuine pain and suffering. The problem is that racial hatred became the central focus after a while, and that made the entire ethos more basic and dull, and that is how it survives today. Nationalism started as a Romantic ideal and the NAZIs were originally very interested in other worldly pursuits but this didn't really filter down into the masses. I think mass politics are hopeless, you need the masses to bring about big changes but by appealing to them you often become one of them and then you've lost whatever greatness and nobility you had, but this is an historical cliche.
>>
I just about exclusively read aloud. Very fun and like you said it helps improve public speaking and public readings. I used to hate having to read out loud in class I'm HS because I'd stumble even if I was a decent reader. I'm much better now. Idk what your worry is though about where to do this. It's not like you have to shout.
>>
In China, I'd often see people, young and old, doing just this in public parks. It was sort of strange, especially when they were ranting and raving speeches in broken English...
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.