[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the main themes and messages Stoner wants to convey?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: stoner_painting.jpg (52KB, 960x525px) Image search: [Google]
stoner_painting.jpg
52KB, 960x525px
What are the main themes and messages Stoner wants to convey?
>>
>>9850359
Men are disgusting
>raping your daughter
>>
>>9850359
Life is pointless.
>>
>>9850359

People are bigoted against cripples! Didn't you see how hard Stoner was on that poor young Walker?
>>
>>9850402
this >>9850402 but unironically
Stoner tries to fight the pointlessness, holding the paper he wrote (the only tangible accomplishment he cared about) and saying that the brief summary of his life as a person dancing through the field wasn't fair, but it didn't really matter in the end.
At best you can comfort yourself with your achievements
>>
>>9850479
>At best you can comfort yourself with your achievements

These fragments I have shored against my ruins
>>
>>9850359
dude weed lmao
>>
>>9850406
That made me so mad. Fuck those two angsty cripples
>>
What was the point of making the crippled character crippled?
>>
>>9853373
I think it was a reference to greek mythology, in which the virtuous were portrayed as beautiful/perfect and the wicked as ugly/deformed.

Now, Stoner was wicked as well, and it reflected in his physicality. The stoop of his shoulders, sunken eyes, etc.
>>
>>9850359
Its a celebration of the ordinary life and life generally.
He faced adversity in his career and domestic life and he dealt with it the only way he knew he could.
For example, when you look at Stoner's handling of Lomax and the collegiate theatricals, you have to understand that Stoner started from nothing. He originally was a quiet farm kid that was impersonal and not at all self-reflective. He grew later to be independent and gradually take what he wanted, although by the end I would hardly characterize him as an assertive personality.
This is true if we look at his first date with Edith and finally his proposal to her - propelled by a naive belief that he could help her from whatever she was pleading for. Stoner didn't seem like the most social guy and along with his youth was bound to miss the redflags and misinterpret Edith's reason for marriage.
We also see it in his stand for principle when dealing with the cripple fraud and standing up to Lomax several times in the book. Unbeknownst to him that it would severally impact his career and make his life miserable in the process.
His mistakes are apart of his growth from naivete and unworldliness to wisdom and from uncertainty to resolution.
By the end, he is content with his life. He can't regret anything because to do so would be ignoring the hindsight that comes with experience.
>>
>>9850359
>And what did you expect?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.