[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language Learning Charts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 20

File: 1501595699253.png (437KB, 785x1031px) Image search: [Google]
1501595699253.png
437KB, 785x1031px
Saw pic related in a thread a weeks ago and I was wondering if anyone had something similar for other language.

Also general language thread I suppose.
>>
File: span.jpg (472KB, 2550x1650px) Image search: [Google]
span.jpg
472KB, 2550x1650px
From an /int/ thread
>>
File: frch.png (95KB, 763x699px) Image search: [Google]
frch.png
95KB, 763x699px
2. If you reverse image search what you posted you can see the thread. There's an incomplete german one and one for turkish which /lit/ is probably not interested in.

In return, can somebody point me to free online resources for latin.
>>
Japanese anyone, please?
>>
I want to learn Russian, but typing Cyrillic is incredibly hard on an English keyboard, and a virtual keyboard is just too slow and tedious.
>>
P.S.

http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki
>>
>>9846650
how do the slavs type latin letters so easily
>>
>>9846650
What i did for korean.
- Using a digital keyboard that replaces letters, ie: type 'g' for 'г'.
- Draw a diagram of the keyboard and keep it next to you for reference.
- In a couple hours you have it down without checking.
>>
>>9846650
You don't look at the keyboard when you're typing so basically what >>9846670 said. Just think of it like you're switching to a dvorak keyboard.
>>
>>9846536
mega folder is gone :(
>>
File: MGSV.png (614KB, 854x479px) Image search: [Google]
MGSV.png
614KB, 854x479px
>Since ancient times every civilization's ruler has the same idea, when people unite under one will they become stronger than the sum of their parts.

>And what do rulers use to bring people together? Language.

So wich language shall we start with /lit/?
>>
>>9846706
Russian. They're clearly winning the culture war rn. Cucked over America and doing whatever they want globally.
>>
>>9846651
I feel pretty sure that wiki was written by people who do not want to read. I see no recommendations on any popular language textbooks, they seem interested in promoting what software and apps work the best.
>>
>>9846536
Shit advice.
You should hold conversations (You can find language partners online and use Skype, shut ins).
You should be listening to music with lyrics in your target language and translating them to yours. Reading newspaper articles with the aid of a dictionary. Also, movies in your target language, both original and dubbed (Russians don't give a shit about lip-sinc, so the dub tends to be more accurate).
Comics are good for starting, since there is enough text to practice, but not so much you will feel frustrated, particularly given the pretty pictures. And particularly when aimed at children, use a simple vocabulary.
>>
>>9846713
>They're clearly winning the culture war rn
Top kek, just no.
>Cucked over America
What is that supposed to mean?
>>
I want to learn French, German, and Russian. However, I feel like this is impossible to learn on your own correctly. Also, it'd probably take me my whole life.
>>
File: 1501754797335.jpg (411KB, 1006x1973px) Image search: [Google]
1501754797335.jpg
411KB, 1006x1973px
>>9846536
This is all we have minus the incomplete German chart.
>>
File: 1501721656453.png (450KB, 1964x1656px) Image search: [Google]
1501721656453.png
450KB, 1964x1656px
>>9846957
>>
File: 1501585713836.png (113KB, 916x1099px) Image search: [Google]
1501585713836.png
113KB, 916x1099px
>>9846961
>>
File: vladimir7n-1-web.jpg (49KB, 635x543px) Image search: [Google]
vladimir7n-1-web.jpg
49KB, 635x543px
>>9846884
ohhhhhhh you know what it is
>>
>>9846637
>learning a second language
>doesn't know the difference between vary and very
>>
>>9846713
Well blumpf cabinet does look like a bunch of Russian puppets but currently Russian's aren't winning any culture war desu.
>>
>>9846988
>implying
>>
>>9846983
Well these are made by /int/ users, I imagine for most of them English isn't their native tongue.
>>
>>9846950
You could be reading two of those within 10 years. Maybe 12-20 years for all three. People manage it. It is also likely to realize after some time that you do not care for one as much, so it becomes less of a desire.
>>
2ch.hk
tjournal.ru
meduza.io
rbc.ru
daily.afisha.ru
postnauka.ru
arzamas.academy
the-village.ru
gorky.media
>>
There's no consensus on what to learn if you're native English, so I'm just going to learn Latin. I relate with dead people better anyway.
>>
File: jkhjkhk.png (151KB, 745x543px) Image search: [Google]
jkhjkhk.png
151KB, 745x543px
Is it a bad idea to learn more than one language at once?
>>
Fuck anons, I started learning Italian, I fucking love the sound of it but living in NZ it's essentially useless. Should I keep going or move to French?
>>
>>9847477
How would french be useful in NZ?
>>
>>9847480
It isn't honestly but at least I know and work with French, Italian is nonexistent.
>>
>english is my second language
>all learning resources are in english

Feels like I have a handicap here, learning a foreign language in a foreign language.
>>
guve me guide for english lang
>>
>>9846536

>duolingo
>memrise

I would recommend penguin Russian course for grammar but in terms of actually picking up the language in a way in which you can communicate it having a teacher is essential. That or having a Russian speaker who can chat with you and patiently correct you.

I was doing the penguin course on and off for a while and it wasn't until I started doing actual speaking and listening exercises with a teacher that it began to sink in properly.
>>
>>9846637
>Learning monkey latin.

ISHYGDDT.
>>
>>9847936
>he said in French rapebaby language
lmao
>>
>>9847936
What the fuck does that even mean?
Speak english dumbo.
>>
>>9846536
The learning plan is not worth the image it's imprinted on. It's nothing but one person's opinion, and almost certainly a person who has never even reached an advanced level.

The simple reality of what matters when you learn a language:
- time spent on learning the target language
- exposure to target language (input that is comprehensible or on the verge of being so).
>>
>>9846964
There's fucking swedish and no German?
>>
>>9847469
Since you're never done learning a language and maybe want to learn several languages, it's pretty unavoidable.
>>
>>9846647
>free online resources for latin

read through this: http://chaharrah.tv/chaharrah-depot/arthouse/latin-attachments/latin-book.pdf

and supplement it with grammatical information from either Wheelock's Latin or just free websites around the internet.
>>
>>9848236
Thank you.
>>
>>9847508
In the other hand you also improve your English.
>>
>>9846726
Ehen you learn the vocabulary reading becomes easy.
>>
>>9847508
I'm learning japanese with english resources. All videos and books I've downloaded are in english. It is good, because I'm also improving my english, which is my second language.
>>
File: 1501869469099.png (94KB, 776x1161px) Image search: [Google]
1501869469099.png
94KB, 776x1161px
>>
>>9846965
>you know what it is
What, ebic putin memes?
>>
>>9847469
It is probably a bad idea to start two related languages at once, since you might confuse them. Back in my freshman year of college, I took introductory Ancient Greek and introductory Portuguese one semester. Fortunately, learning an ancient language is very different than learning a modern one, so they didn't interfere with each other much. The main result was that I didn't have time to practice my German (in which I wasn't yet very advanced), so that suffered. Afterwards, I focused on Greek and German exclusively, so I forgot basically all my Portuguese, but I got my skills in those two languages very advanced.
>>
File: 0_20170804_141153.jpg (159KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
0_20170804_141153.jpg
159KB, 1920x1080px
I've been studying French 10-15 hours a week since December of 2015, and only recently had I chosen to take a formal class at my college; I started the course five weeks ago.

I'm not particularly happy with how much I've accomplished, but I'm not too dissatisfied as well. I'm not sure where I stand at the moment. I can translate most French text into English without excessive dictionary-flipping, but going from English to French is killing me. My spoken French is inadequate as well.

Can a helpful Francophone critique what I had written in my exam? What can I improve on? I have a few more examples if it'll help the process. I'll repay in language charts for replies.
>>
>>9849529
are Ancient Greek and actual Greek too different?
>>
How do I into German?

I've been using Duolingo but I've felt that I've made no progress.
>>
The best book about language learning I've ever read. Never mind the baity title
>>
>>9849626
I'm not sure if this will be useful, but it reads really awkwardly. The entire thing is "she is ____. she is ____". Try to avoid using Elle so many times, and try to not use words like "belle". My second language is french, but it's janky slang Quebec french, so take my words with a grain of salt. You should probably go and ask your prof.
>>
>>9849897
Greek here. They are not even close. Practically, the ancient greek is a dead language.
>>
>>9850007
How similar is Koine Greek to modern Greek?
>>
>>9849901
Memrise will get you more vocab. Look at frequency lists to see if duolingo has missed anything. FSI and DLI courses provide conversations to translate and audio drills. Practice practice! After 6 months or a year of sticking to your basic materials for an hour or more each day, begin to absorb media without the aid of a dictionary as well.
>>
>>9849626
It's really correct and understandable, even though it is indeed a bit awkward, a bit ''childish", I guess it's the exercice that does this, but without context and your age in the text, I would have said that it was written by a child (again, i dont want to be mean, i know you probably had to say "le prénom de ma meilleure amie est" instead of "Ma meilleure amie s'appelle" and other awkward stuff because you had to show the structures you learnt and be academically correct, even if it removes a bit of "realism". I guess it's the same for every language courses. As the other anon said, the répétitions of " elle est" is a bit awkward (sorry for using this word top much, but it's the only one i know to translate "maladroit", my english isn't perfect), but again, you didn't have much choice and the goal was to make correct french, not Proust like descriptions, and it is almost completely correct french (exepct for the few things your prof corrected, but otherwise really understandable). Long story short, you're doing well. I'd give you 2.5~3/3.5 but it really depends on your teacher and the level of your class.
Hope i was helpful
Post some more if you want, but i might not be here anymore. It's late here.
>>
>>9849626
What resources were you using before taking the class?
>>
>>9849909
What's great about it?
>>
File: 0_20170804_141210.jpg (120KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
0_20170804_141210.jpg
120KB, 1920x1080px
>>9850148
Truth be told, I definitely agree with everything you pointed out, but I don't think it'll be an overnight affair for me to improve my prose past its current state. This is why I'm having doubts, because when I was writing this, I knew it sounded childish, and I knew it was incredibly simple and even a little mundane. However, I'm quite happy that I was able to get much of the grammar correctly formed; many of the constructions weren't even covered yet, like object pronouns and l'imparfait.

>>9849945
I'm picking up what you're putting down, and I'll definitely try to find other ways to start sentences. My French writing is incredibly elementary, so I dont know too many ways in which I can alternatively start sentences.
>>
plz someone, toss me books, sites, whatever useful resource to learn japanese
>>
>>9850299
go to /djt/
not sure how it is resource-wise, but it's definitely the most complete section on 4chan

Does anyone here know Latin, and if so vulgar Latin or classical Latin? Does a knowledge of Latin help in learning descendant languages?
>>
>>9850122
Is German Memrise not on Android?
>>
>>9846647
>do 1-2 rows a day

what the fuck is a row in duolingo?
>>
I'm working on Spanish, using RosettaStone (offline) levels 1-5, reading Spanish short fiction and occasionally practicing with my friend from Panama. My dad is fluent. The goal is to b we able to go to Spain, work on a boat/the coast and write, become famous and then go to Mexico to pound thicc latina culo.

Any recommendations on how I could supplement my learning?
>>
>>9846647
We just had a thread about it.

Here ya go bauss. >>9837243
>>
I have enough free time to study 9-5, how would you structure this time towards language learning?
>>
>>9851541
What langauge? Annenberg media created a great french series called french in action. 52 free 30 minute videos for immersion. Try their website, i think they have series on other langauges. Lingvist, duplingo, memrise, babbel, textbooks, quizlet etc for memorizing grammar and conjugations...written.

Youtube, netflix, 'watch ... online free', etc for immersion and pronunciation...spoken.
>>
>>9846964
lmao who would want to learn Swedish, the language might as well not exist, they all speak English anyways.
>>
>>9851701
Sweden has more refugees than your moms vagina desu.

>they all speak english
Majority does but that still leaves millions of people who don't speak fluent English
>>
Is there an Arabic chart
>>
>can't decide whether to learn French or Russian
>days ticking by not learning either because I can't choose
>>
>>9850160
It uses a ton of empirical evidence about the nature of memory, and goes into language acquisition techniques that most modern books ignore (like minimal pairs). It's very detailed and thorough.
>>
>>9851892
Learn the one that's further from your first language (so probably Russian)
>>
i really don't think people should use memrise, duolingo or rosettastone. it's a terrible way to learn a language, they never cover grammar and vocabulary properly, and introduce a lot of toxic vocabulary natives don't use. stay away from these apps.
>>
>>9851923
Memrise is great for vocabulary
>>
>>9846647
https://www.magistrula.com/
>>
>>9850048
Not much closer. I'm not Greek, but I've had Ancient Greek classes with actual Greeks, and what mostly messes them up is case usage and some of the now-obsolete tenses. Both of those are still fairly present in the Koiné.
>>
Does anyone know of any guide books on style in German prose? Not necessarily along the lines of Strunk & White, but at least something that'll give me a better idea of how to compose fluently. I already read a fair amount in German, but I feel like there's only so much I can absorb.
>>
>>9849626
Baise-la.
>>
I'm on an advanced level in Japanese.
I can give you some tips.
First off learn, hiragana and katakana.
If you know how to read hiragana you can start reading children's books, they are usually written entirely in hiragana.
Download lessons from Japanesepod101.
It's a podcast, pretty useful, there is a lot of English in it at first, as you advance there will be less and less.
An other great resource is a free phone app called Obenkyou.
Obenkyou has everything you need, grammar, kanji,hiragana,katakana.
I never used text books, this app had everything I needed.
If you get the kanas down you can start learning kanji.
After that it's all a matter of aquiring more vocab and kanji.
I collect them into an Excel file and then I import them into Anki.
You'll probably need more than 1 hour of study a day if you want to reach some level of proficiency.
After 2 years of learning Japanese like this, I now can read novels with looking the occasional word up in a dictionary, understand pretty much everything and I can talk about a variety of topics.
>>
>>9852728
One thing I forgot to add:
Don't use animes as your main study material.
Nobody speaks like that in the real world, you'll just sound like a weeb nigger.
>>
>>9852728

I am currently trying a method in which I simply pick a novel from a chosen language, a simple one, take The Stranger, for example, then getting the PDF of the original French text, the French audiobook, and the PDF of the English translation, then using Google translate and some "audio-slicing" software, which I use to cut sentences of the audiobook into different mp3 files, and then listening to the sentences and mimicking them out loud until I master the pronunciation and what the words mean.

I reckon I can learn at least a page every week with enough dedication, to the point of being able to read it fluently and enunciate properly.

It's a very rewarding method as well. Being able to immediately start saying entire sentences and knowing what they mean, word by word, is a very satisfying experience, even if the sentence is just a fraction of the language.

I figure, with each new page you learn to read fluently, you will begin to slowly attain a decent grasp and feel of the grammatical rules, and also, less words will need to be learned with each page, since the same words will keep reappearing.
>>
Any german language flowchart?
>>
Post the finnish chart
>>
>>9852728
ありがと ござ売僧、せんぱい。
>>
>>9852832
>ござ売僧
>>
>>9852757
What should I read if not manga/VN/so on?
>>
sorry if my japanese is too advanced for you ;)
>>
>>9852899
>>9852913
>>
汉语说的同志,你们可以建议中文文学?我是中文三年级的学生。我已经看过三国演义(孩子版)和一些故事。
>>
>>9850267
Really good as well
If you want to avoid repeating ''il y a'', you van use ''il se trouve'' (or just ''se trouve'' in this context), or ''se situe''. Only for writing, though, while it is correct, it will make you sound wierd. While speaking, repeating "il y a" is fine, and depending on your audience you even use the contracted form "y'a" (not official don't write it ), and even "c'est" (in this context at least, it does not work if you want to say "il y a un magasin au bout de la rue".
There's also a couple things your teacher didn't correct: " la bibliothèque a trop de livres"; it would be better to say " il y a trop de livres dessus ", otherwise it sounds like your bookshelf owns the books (it's also true that without the exclamation, " trop de livres" means really "too much books", in a negative way, like if you genuinly wished you had less). And " finalement " doesn't translate into "finally". Rather, it really expresses a change in planned actions, like " je ne voulais pas y aller; finalement j'y suis allé" (that's a terrible sentence but you get my point.) So here it sounds like the fact that there's a carpet under your sofa is in contradiction with the rest. I guess it translates into "in the end". In this situation, it's better to use ''enfin''.
Sorry if i'm hard to understand, maybe it's better to speak of it with your teacher
>>
>>9852945
Is chinese (Mandarin, I presume) actually as hard as they say?
>>
>>9852903
You can read manga or VN but learn appropriate Japanese too.
The hierarchy of the speakers is expressed in Japanese to a degree that is unlike any other language.
You'll need to study the rules first to get a feeling for it.
Don't go around in Japan addressing people as omae or kisama,you'll get laughed at.
There is some difference between how men and women speak too, so you may sound like a femboy if you can't differentiate.
I have heard from Japanese people countless times how weebs learned Japanese from anime and how they were confident they are good at the language but sounded like morons.
Imagine that a latino kid learns English from rap lyrics and you get the idea.
The problem is not with anime or manga, the problem is with people who solely learn from anime or manga and don't study the official language.
>>
>>9853060
Ah, I see, thank you.
>>
>>9852966
Yeah. I've been studying for three years and am always upset with my lack of progress. But I can read simple stuff like articles and stories pretty fluently now and hold decent, albeit retarded sounding conversations. I've just had a hard time finding chinese conversation partners that don't flake out.
>>
>>9853094
How much time per day, on average, do you spend?
>>
>>9849130
OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE'S A FARSI CHART
MAMNOON DADASH <3
>>
>>9846648
check out the /djt/ thread on /jp/. It's very strongly reading focussed and neglects verbal skills but it's excellent for what it is, you'll be shitposting on 2ch in no time.
>>
having a friend who speaks the language is also pretty good. i have two iranian friends that are almost always willing to help me.
>>
>>9853109
I don't have the time or willpower to study daily, especially in summer. Realistically during summer break it's 2-3 days a week, at least an hour each day I study. During the school year there's 1hr classes 4 days a week with at least an hour+ of homework a day, plus personally doing flash cards, TV shows, or some social media like douban or acfun or bilibili and that eternal struggle to find language partners.
>>
>>9853153
I also want to ask this thread a question: what do you do with a language partner? I'm not a sperg by any means and have a happy American social life plus dating, but every chinese person I've tried to have a conversation partner relationship with has flaked out at some point. Other people have the same struggles but I'm curious if anyone had experience with this problem or can share the average session or nature of the relationship.
>>
>>9853128
farsi is cool don't ruin it by typing like a faggot
>>
>>9853160
>every chinese person I've tried to have a conversation partner relationship with has flaked out at some point
Cultural differences, maybe? Imageboards should work well as a conversational partner, I assume, several years of shitposting on 4chan gave me fluency in English.
>>
>>9850338
Just knowing a little bit of latin helps a fuckload in seeing how most modern languages are constructed both when it comes to grammar and vocabulary
>>
>>9853170
kiram dahanat
>>
>>9853160
yeah, agree with the other guy, it's cultural differences. chinese ppl are not that willing to help. try italki, you can have classes for a very cheap price.
>>
>>9850267
post room
>>
>>9849909
Hey, thanks!
>>
Linguam Lainam discamus, /lit/terati!
>>
>>9850148
>2.5-3 / 3.5

what the fuck kind of scale is that
>>
>>9852832
>arigato
>not arigatou
wew lad
>>
>>9852945
我一个年学中文,不很好,但是好玩。
>>
>>9846647
>Cyprien
>Norman fait des vidéos
>Zaz
>Stromae

The guy who made this chart really must have shit tastes.
>>
>>9853948
Not my fault, blame his prof
>>
>>9853994
J'imagine que c'est parce-que c'est facile à comprendre et accessible
>>
>>9846957
That is the German chart
>>
>>9849626
>but going from English to French is killing me

I'm French and I had this problem a long time ago, to going from French to English.
Guess how I improved it? Posting on 4chan since 2012, so my advice for you would be to post on french threads or french forums.
>>
>>9854012
Hahaha fuck
>>
>>9847999
I seriously hope you guys don't do this
It's from Costanza posting you dip
>>
>>9854029
>french forums
Tu en connais des bons? Y'a que jvc ou r/france qui me viennent à l'esprit. Doctissimo a la limite. Je trouve qu'on est assez mal lotis de ce coté la. Si tu a un petit chan fr sympa, je suis pas contre
>>
Does anyone have a german chart? Cheers
>>
>>9853992
Jeez you really are awful mate
>>
>>9854292
Pas vraiment, c'est pour ça que suis sur 4chan, il y a /fr/ sur /int/ aussi mais c'est pas mieux, après pour quelqu'un qui veut apprendre le français c'est pas mal.
>>
File: 1499787554458.png (286KB, 2832x1712px) Image search: [Google]
1499787554458.png
286KB, 2832x1712px
>>9851541
Here's a chart I found that might help you
>>
>>9852728
the problem i have when trying to read childrens books or do beginner level online tests, is the fact that they only use hiragana, and I started with learning the meaning of kanji, do you have any recommandations for texts, that are still quite simple but use kanji; is there other entry level media that you could recommend if not anime?
>>
>>9846536
>>9846702

anyone got the contents of this folder?
>>
File: jap.jpg (41KB, 432x386px) Image search: [Google]
jap.jpg
41KB, 432x386px
>>9856027
Try a text book like this.
This what I used in the start.
It's called 文化小級日本語(bunka shokyuu nihongo).
This is good if you want to practice reading basic texts with easy kanji.
But there is no english in it so it is created for learning with teachers but I used it without one.

You can use a japanese dictionary to look up words you don't know since all the kanjis are written with furigana.

There is also the second book called 文化小級日本語 II.
If you get through these two get 上級への扉(joukyuu e no tobira).

After you can through these you can start reading whatever you want, there will be a lot of unknown kanjis and words at first but if you keep at it, they'll become less and less.
Godspeed anon!
>>
>>9853358
way to prove my point, queerboi.
>>
Learning a new language is one of the most enjoyable and rewarding things I've done in a while, if you're on the fence about it just do it
>>
>>9854002
Pourrait quelqu'un recommender de la musique ou des chaines video les plus ineressants?
>>
File: tonnin-seteli.jpg (76KB, 878x1158px) Image search: [Google]
tonnin-seteli.jpg
76KB, 878x1158px
>>9852829
Why would anyone want to study finnish if you're not moving to Finland or something?
>>
Is it worth taking University language classes? Or is it better to learn on your own?
>>
>>9858442
Koska suomen kieli on mahtava?
>>
>>9858473
No juuh, onhan Suomi sinällään aika jännä kieli mutta varmaan hemmetin vaikea ulkopuoliselle. Jos tykkää niin mikäs siinä, onnea vaan opiskeluun.
>>
>>9846536
How do I learn Cyrillic? Is there any recommended way to do it? I'd like to learn the absolute basics of a couple languages, and Russian is one of them.
>>
>>9858540
It takes about three hours. Just write down all the characters you don't know and then try to pronounce stuff for a while.
>>
>>9858454
wondering this too. I remember in high school the books we used for Italian were shit and would have probably been better off with a teach yourself or assimil
>>
>>9849626
1) You sometimes omit accents (sérieuse, prénom...)
2) Make sweet love to that girl already
>>
>>9849626
Also,
>elle s'appelle une écrivaine
...doesn't work at all.

"Elle dit être écrivain" is much better.
>>
>>9859450
(Or "elle dit qu'elle est écrivain", more relaxed)
>>
>>9858422
Les classiques de la chanson française : Gainsbourg, Jacques Dutronc, Brassens, Françoise Hardy, Léo Ferré, Bashung, Rita Mitsouko, Barbara, etc.

Chaînes YouTube : quels sont tes centres d'intérêt ?
>>
>>9859478
Alain Bashung - La nuit je mens: https://youtu.be/0MYN8mAEKUo
>>
Latin, anyone?
>>
>>9858454

Depends on what your goal is.
I would definetly suggest you to take it if you have the opportunity.
Especially if you are a beginner, it is important that you learn the basics correctly.
Don't expect to get proficient by take classes though, you have to do the majority of the learning on you own.
>>
>>9847477
i live in NZ and in my experience learning French isn't much better or useful than learning italian.
>>
>>9846660
>>9846650
i taught latin alphabet by typing cheats playing gta vice city,and cyrillic much more late(r?) while chatting forums. by the way i don't think that it's possible to learn language studying one hour a day, you should at least have a foreigner to talk to every day, but you better have to live in there with native-speakers for some years imo
>>
Should I learn French or German? The girl I like knows French so I'm leaning towards that.
>>
>>9846536
I want to learn Greek, Latin, French, German and Italian.

Can someone recommend me some books for all of these?
>>
>>9860202
Damn, so should I even bother? I'd really love to learn a language.
>>
>>9860202
Same in Australia too. Unlike North America or Europe, English is pretty much the only language you'll encounter apart from ethnic languages occasionally.
>>
>>9860239
French vs German

French nouns have 2 genders,German nouns have 3.

French is spoken in France,some parts of Switzerland, some part of Canada and a lot of nigger countries.

There are more German speakers in Europe than French but outside of Europe there aren't a lot.

If you learn German you'll have an easier time when learning Dutch and Scandinavian languages (except Finnish).

If you learn French you'll have an easier time when learning Spanish,Portugese,Italian and Romanian.

French native speakers usually suck at English, German native speakers are usually good at it.

It's your choice anon.
>>
>>9846650
>typing Cyrillic is incredibly hard on an English keyboard

i installed a keyboard layout called "russian for gringos", which is not how real russians type but rather a phonetic layout for english-speaking students. so pressing d gets you д, g is г, v is в and so on. some letters are still arbitrary assignments that you just have to remember (q is я, \ is э) but i found it pretty easy to learn.
>>
>>9860239
i'd go with french on aesthetics alone.
>>
>>9860345

What about just buying a cheap Russian keyboard on Amazon?
>>
>>9860461
sure, but i'd still say it's going to be easier for a student to be able to press the key that he always presses to type d and have it produce the russian letter that corresponds to the sound of "d". this makes using things like duolingo much easier than if you had to also learn to type from scratch before even doing the simplest exercises. there's a reason these phonetic layouts are used for teaching.
>>
>>9859456
Oui, c'est vrai
>>
>>9860341
>>9860363

Thank you, lads. I will be going with French.
>>
>>9851919
why further?
>>
>>9859478
>No Jacques Brel
So close to being perfect.
>>
How do I get past the intermediate plateau?

I really enjoy learning languages, and there are tons of resources for absolute beginners. But once I've worked through those, my progress always seems to stall and I get discouraged. After I've worked through basic duolingo and memrise courses, and worked through a grammar book, I still can't read or listen to material meant for native speakers and after a while I get discouraged.

Then I start up with another language, lather, rinse and repeat.
>>
File: images.jpg (12KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 225x224px
i'm studiying english for 10 years and can't even comprehend the lyrics when listening music
>>
>>9860239
German really is miserable
>>
>>9860278
>Latin
I would recommend two options. One is Wheelock's Latin, the other is A New Latin Primer.
>Greek
I would recommend From Alpha To Omega.
If you can buy the workbook alongside the textbook buy them, language learning is difficult and sometimes you need a resource that will make sure you are doing the work and remembering the important things.
>>
>>9846647
> Turkish
> literally just speaking nothing but Paprika

you're damn right I'm not interested
>>
>>9846884
what is this investigation with America's presidential administration and potential collusion with Russians that is happening all the time duhhhh duhhhh duhhh fucking duhhhhh
>>
File: HghIJR1HRhJ4aZbfwVPl_g-wide.jpg (84KB, 1040x670px) Image search: [Google]
HghIJR1HRhJ4aZbfwVPl_g-wide.jpg
84KB, 1040x670px
>>9851892
are you a huh ́Hol or smth?
>>
>>9864154
nothing but paprika, what? I'd like to see the Turkish one
>>
>>9863400
Read books in that language/watch tv shows/movies
Thread posts: 169
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.