[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Socratic Seminars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: death-of-socrates-AB.jpg (76KB, 334x250px) Image search: [Google]
death-of-socrates-AB.jpg
76KB, 334x250px
In regards to the discussion format of the so-called "Socratic Seminar": The Socratic Seminar is a cancer that was particularly prevalent for me during my time in high-school. For those of you who aren't aware of the format, it is essentially a discussion based upon a text where there is a group of participants who discuss said text based upon questions asked by the discussion leader. At this level of description, it sounds reasonable enough. The trouble, however, lies in the pure bastardization of Socrates' name - the method was based upon him solely due to his famous rhetorical style of question and answer - being that the method could not be further from his true style. Of course, as with all things in public education, the liberal influence crept into the seminars like black mold, recently to the point where a teacher forbid me from saying "I disagree," and "but," (as she instead favored a phrase such as "That's a good point, also..." even if my argument were in direct contrast to that of whom I was addressing. On the polar opposite end, Socrates was famous for, and prided himself upon, his ability to dismantle and disprove the arguments of those who deemed themselves wise, but who truly were not. He was not kind - honorable and good as he was - when it came to showing others that they were incorrect in their claims. Socrates is undoubtedly rolling in his grave to know that such a format of debate and discussion exists, let alone to know it is named after himself. This is not in fact a discussion, but rather a safe space in the form of a circle, ensuring that moronic opinions are held at the same value as those of true thought and wisdom, rather than raising powerful ideas to the regard in which they may be able to assist all people, as Socrates often spoke of being necessary.
>>
>>9845871
fucking liberals, they've destroyed the white world

we must do something about women and nonwhites in the educational system
>>
I forgot to turn this into an actual discussion thread, ironically enough. Have any of you ever had fruitful discussion through the use of this format? Can public schooling be saved? Should philosophical classics like Plato's Five Dialogues join Common Core Curriculum? I personally believe that A Brief a History of Time should be required reading, and that philosophical classics serve a similar purpose for expansion of the mind's narrow scope.
>>
>>9845890
>Have any of you ever had fruitful discussion through the use of this format?
With liberals and women? Never. They are too ideological and don't understand rationality and logic
>>
>>9845883
Please, don't make me out as the /pol/ archetype. Just because the word "liberal" popped in at literally one point of the post does not make it so that this is a discussion of politics or that I am an alt-righter. What I meant to say is that there is an increasing influence of liberal ideology, such as the belief that all people are equal and all opinions are to be valued, which is what I was mainly referencing.
>>
>>9845896
It's not a quoincidence that you're bringing up liberalism and that your teacher was a women. It shows how far we've fallen. You are just describing objective reality.
>>
People get a little goofy when it comes to this idea of "Socratic method." I've read all of Plato and I'm still not entirely sure what it is beyond some vague allusion to the midwifery in Theaetetus. People are imagining that the dialogues are debates which are exhibiting legitimate methods of discovery and they're losing sight of what the dialogues actually are. They're written by one man who his expressing his ideas and the intellectual journey that he personally took to formulate them. They're written in the dialogue format with various characters because the intended audience was the layperson, they're meant to be digestible by the average upper class Greek who could afford a copy.

As far as I'm concerned the Socratic method is little more than a literary device. It can't be emulated in real discussion because that's not how humans talk to each other. Nobody likes answering questions.
>>
>>9845896

But liberals are the problem with education.
>>
>>9845896
retard
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.