[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who was the overall better writer, Melville or Twain?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_5285.jpg (49KB, 632x289px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5285.jpg
49KB, 632x289px
http://www.strawpoll.me/13613424
>>
Both doing two different things
>>
>>9844016
Melville.
>>9844022
yeah, two different things, one is writing better than the other. very easy.
>>
>>9844016
I don't consider Twain to be a good writer at all, he was more like a movie maker. Good stories and characters but not an artist
>>
One was a redpilled realist who wrote cool stories about floating on a river and having adventures.

the other wrote about whales being gay for each other.
>>
>>9844037
>redpilled
>most famous story is about freeing a nigger
>>
>>9844032
>t. Faggot who hasn't read anything other than cuck finn
>>
>>9844048
What should I read then? His sci-fi?
>>
>>9844048
>pleb who continued to read twain
jesus christ, anon.
>>
>>9844022
This. My gut impulse is to say Melville, but if we're talkin' pure literary invention, Twain fulfilled Whitman's American Child prophecy. Really it comes down to your axioms of "better," though I cringe at my choice of language.
>>
>>9844052
He's got a lot of stuff written, but I personally recommend his short stories. If you're looking for a novel, try the prince and the pauper, friend.

>>9844059
>muh story about whales and two interracial faggots on a ship

Talk to me once you've read more than Moby dick, faggot.
>>
>>9844066
Whitman's American Child prophecy?
>>
>>9844074
>implying all other books in existence aren't just footnotes to Moby Dick
you just keep at it. you'll make it out of your mental rut some day.
>>
File: index.jpg (8KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8KB, 267x189px
>>9844074
>Melville only wrote Moby Dick
>>
>>9844076
Bloom nuances this, but long story short, Whitman ushered in the first age of what could be called uniquely American literature. However, a lot of Whitman's signing was that he wasn't actually capable of doing so because he was too concious of it yada yada yada. And if you read Whitman yeah it reads like a "Made in America" self-advertisement. Rather, Whitman spoke of their being a spring of American writers (though lbr Uncle Walt really wanted modern day Homeric Bards) who would be rugged/individualistic/capable of tapping into and making high art out of the average laymen's American experience. I think the case could be made that Twain is the fulfillment of this ideal, especially when read against Cooper/Hawthorne/Melville/Poe/other early Americans who were essentially derivative of the English literary temperament. But if I'm being intellectually honest this might just be a post-hoc attribution because Twain was Americas first literary celebrity. But he changed the American literary landscape nonetheless.
>>
>>9844137
shut up fag
>>
>>9844140
Kys retard. Why don't you go do a bunch of whip-its until you suffocate.
>>
>>9844140
>>9844149
Quality posts.
>>
>>9844137
an interesting post, thank you for taking the time to share. i'm not sure i disagree with your assessment that twain fulfilled this prophecy, though, i would still call melville the superior writer, just as a matter of preference, not necessarily by any metric than that.
>>
>>9844149
I'm too busy fucking your mom, m8
>>
>>9844137
Good post.
>>
File: strauss_the_game.jpg (24KB, 329x499px) Image search: [Google]
strauss_the_game.jpg
24KB, 329x499px
>>9844094
'splain to me how this is a footnote to Moby D
>>
>>9844094
>t. Dumbass undergrad
>>
File: IMG_0191.jpg (74KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0191.jpg
74KB, 640x640px
>>9844216
>>9844231
>twainlets
>>
>>9844196
Hope you enjoy aids you faggot. Let that bitch take you to the grave.
>>
File: leopold bloom.png (30KB, 280x341px) Image search: [Google]
leopold bloom.png
30KB, 280x341px
>this thread

Why must we hurt each other so
>>
>>9844262
Shut the fuck up, faggot
>>
>>9844016
>Twain's literary offspring: Vonnegut Jr., Stephen King
>Melville's literary offspring: Gaddis, Pynchon, Theroux, Barth, Nabokov, Steinbeck, and on and on...
We all know who the winner is here. Twain. Love me dat Dark Tower series.
>>
>>9844281
10/10 shit post.
>>
>>9844272
>Making fun of a Jew
You're a character straight out of Ulysses LOL
>>
>>9844453
thanks bro. i used almost a fourth of my potential.
>>
>>9844137
>Bloom nuances this...
Please don't repeat what you've been told by this jewish fraud pretending to be a figurehead for white literature on here ever again, capiche?
>>
>>9845741
go back to your containment board
>>
>>9845747
Write something semi-original.
>>
Melville. Twain was good but he didn't make a single book as good as Moby Dick.
>>
Melville.

Bartleby is one of the best characters in literature.
>>
>>9844137
>Melville
>derivative of the English literary temperament

What the fuck
>>
>>9845762
>Twain was good but he didn't make a single book as good as Moby Dick.

And? Twain was more consistent. Melville wrote only one decent book, the rest were forgettable.
>>
>>9844016
Faulkner
>>
>>9845833
So you've read them. I'm relieved that you're not talking about a writer's oeuvre without knowing the second thing about it, nor those things following it. Though to be fair, one would have expected you to make mention of this second thing of his that has not been forgotten. Perhaps you really are as indelicate as to flap your ignorant mouth, then.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.