[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would one go about publishing their book? Self published

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_2017-07-31-00-05-08.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-31-00-05-08.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
How would one go about publishing their book? Self published or professionally, how is it done.

Pic terribly unrelated.
>>
self published: smashwords, createspace, and kindle direct are some of the more popular routes. upload your text and cover and write a blurb and author bio. network with other writers to get the word out.

traditional: finding an agent is easier than finding a publisher (but still difficult)
>>
>>9842436
Any tips you can give me on finding an agent?
>>
>>9842450
In any kind of entertainment they want you to have a built in audience. You can't just get representation with a manuscript, you need to bring something concrete to the table.
>>
>>9842450
find similar works to yours, find out which agent repped it. sometimes its in the dedication. lots of authors thank their agents.

read these tweets and follow agents
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23askagent
>>
>>9842486
this. get twitter fans, join one of those places where booktubers hang
>>9842408
fire punch is kino
>>
File: IMG_1454.png (232KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1454.png
232KB, 750x1334px
>>9842520
Don't look, it will only make you sad *<:-(
>>
>>9842486
it can happen this way but you can certainly get an agent with a solid manuscript and no following to speak of. however, the publishing company will expect you to do self promotion in social media.

>>9842535
there are all kinds of agents out there. you need to look for a like-minded one.
>>
>>9842568
Do you have any experience with publishing? Do you have a real shot by just sending out a QL to random agents with no following or track record?
>>
>>9842646
i'm not published. i'm still writing. i'm friends with people who are published and in the industry: editors, an agent.

you don't have a much of a shot with "random agents." you have to have a good QL and a targeted approach for those who are looking for your kind of story. look at
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MSWL
obviously twitter is limited but it's a peek in the industry

a track record helps because it shows someone thinks you've got chops. a following helps but unless you're sasha alsberg or andy weir, the primary factor is the strength of your manuscript.
>>
File: IMG_1455.png (147KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1455.png
147KB, 750x1334px
>>9842682
I think that rings true for any form of art of entertainment. Social media and gimmick can get you a head start but if the core is rotten the whole project eventually falls apart.

Tweets like this are still depressing. What's the background of people you know in the publishing industry? Do they enjoy works of literature or is it primarily contemporary fiction?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.