[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

baby's first self-improvement book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: cats.jpg (349KB, 619x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cats.jpg
349KB, 619x1000px
After procrastinating for almost a year after high school, I finally decided that I need to fucking stop or I'll become someone I do not want to be. Long story short, I'm studying for an important exam and I want to read instead of playing videogames on my breaks, where should I start? I read Slaughterhouse Five and I liked it, however I'd like self-improvement books or basic philosophy for starters. I'm going to law school if that helps. Thanks anons... I really apreciate your help.
>>
>>9840868
Unironically read Infinite Jest. Also, read Crime and Punishment. I can't speak for many other books desu.
>>
>me me me
Maybe think about somebody else for a change
>>
>>9840868
Western Philosophy: An Anthology by John Cottingham. Basically lengthy excerpts from important works of philosophers from Plato to Heidegger, organized by topic and then by chronological order. Great selections, great flow of ideas, good essay questions at the end of each major section. I would highly recommend it.
>>
>>9841318
>>9840875
Thanks guys! I'll start with these.
>>9841140
If I want to help someone else first I have to help myself.
>>
>>9840875
>Crime and Punishment
what translation?
>>
>>9842404

Does the translation matter for more than just the prose? I can't imagine the themes and ideas in the book get that diluted during whatever translation he picks off the shelf first.
>>
File: starter_A.png (3MB, 3300x5100px) Image search: [Google]
starter_A.png
3MB, 3300x5100px
You most likely suck at reading so read these.
>>
>Procrastinating one year after high school

Try procrastinating eight years and being a wage cuck.
>>
>>9840868

I'm not a fan of cats but that picture is so comfortable. I wish I could do that. I should have gone into academia.
>>
Almost an entire year!?!? Holy shit dude,you're fucked.
>>
>>9842759
>>9842846
Why are you guys so mean?
I can change my life and I will change my life. It's not like it's fucking over or something just for slacking off 6 months. (And even then, I didn't spend my day in front of the computer)
>>9842684
Thanks.
>>
>way of the superior man
>>
>>9840868
I know your feel anon, tho I didn't procrastinate from high school.
Since you are going to law school, I think that you wish to try some basic philosophers of law, right?
Maybe you wanna try these authors to understand a bit more about Law and her philosophy in general:

Pure Theory of Law - Hans Kelsen
The Spirit of Laws - Montesquieu
The Age of Rights - Norberto Bobbio

And I can't realy think of more of them, but remember: some countrys use different bases of law them others. What I am telling you is from the perspective of someone who lives in a country who uses primaraly the romananic way of doing laws, that is, writting laws for everything. The english way of doing laws, may have some other philosophers that you maybe wanna priorotyse.

As for non-philosophy-of-law books, let me suggest some books that made me good during my 2 years in law college (before I dropped very hard):

World Order - Henry Kissinger ("HUR DUR, KISSINGER KILLED PEOPLE", stfu person who can't understand politics)
Left and Right - Norberto Bobbio
Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes
Two Treatsies of Governement - John Lock
The shield of achilles: war, peace, and the course of history - Philip Bobbitt

And I could go on, but those are kind enought, for now. Let me tell you one law book I realy like, but is more focused on international law:

International Law - A Treatise - Openheim

Do you like poetry? Let me tell you some of the epics and the only poetry book I realy like:

Flowes of Evil - Charles Baudelaire
Paradise Lost - John Milton
Orlando Furioso - Ludovico Ariosto

This will do for poetry and epics, for now, I guess. Let me tell some of works of fiction that I think you might enjoy:

The Pillars of Earth - Ken Follett
Startship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

And I am kinda done now. I could stay up all day telling more cool books, but I think this is enought; if you want more, just ask me.
I hope you enjoy law school, that is, if you are doing because you want, and not because you are being to do it. If the latter, then let me give you a tip of personal experience: don't fucking do it. You only go to law college if you want to, and if you want to leave it, them leave. Law College is expensive and no sense trying something you don't want from the beggining or anymore.
>>
>>9840868
But remember anon: the classics are always great. There is no mistake when going for the classics, like Plato's and so on.
>>
>>9842759
this kills the man... just wait til you hit year 10... Suicide is coming soon to a ego near you!
>>
>>9844071
I just wanted to thank you for posting a throught out list o suggestions
>>
>>9843951
Don't listen to that faggot, that's a shit chart for 13 year old school children. I'm not even kidding, the lessons that they'll teach you aren't meant to aid your character, some are just protest novels.
>>
>>9842404
Doesn't matter.
>>
>>9845295
Then what do you suggest?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.